Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia Pilots Strike Dec 2011 and onwards (this round)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold

Info on cancelled flights on the following link: http://megustavolar.iberia.com/

They update it regularly.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Perli
Info on cancelled flights on the following link: http://megustavolar.iberia.com/

They update it regularly.
Still no information on the 29.12.2011 flights. I called today and asked to be rebooked but they declined. I have to wait until it is clear that the flight is canceled before they will do anything. While I understand their rationality it is quite a pain not to know what will happen. I hope that my C class ticket will help to sort things out…
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:01 pm

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Dear Totti,

If help needed, let me know, will see what i can do.
I do have late shifts 26th till 29th of December Iberia & British Airways ticketing desk.
Most likely same rules as for this coming sunday.

Dutch_122

Originally Posted by totti
Still no information on the 29.12.2011 flights. I called today and asked to be rebooked but they declined. I have to wait until it is clear that the flight is canceled before they will do anything. While I understand their rationality it is quite a pain not to know what will happen. I hope that my C class ticket will help to sort things out…

Last edited by dutch_122; Dec 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: aa, delta,us airways, southwest, iberia
Question iberia pilot strike dec. 29

we are booked to fly mpls to chicago to madrid to seville on dec. 29, arriving in spain dec. 30. because of the dec. 29 iberia strike, we can book for dec. 27, 28, 30 and 31. due to schedules, would like to leave dec. 28, but that means we'll arrive in madrid dec. 29 and fly to seville from there. anyone know if we'll be able to get to seville from madrid on dec. 29? that flight is "air nostrum" which might be affiliated with iberia, but not sure how that works. (hmmm....assume that if we're on iberia dec. 28 and when it becomes midnight and we're flying over the atlantic that the pilot won't say (in spanish of course:"sorry, i'm on strike now"!)
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by carol1942
we are booked to fly mpls to chicago to madrid to seville on dec. 29, arriving in spain dec. 30. because of the dec. 29 iberia strike, we can book for dec. 27, 28, 30 and 31. due to schedules, would like to leave dec. 28, but that means we'll arrive in madrid dec. 29 and fly to seville from there. anyone know if we'll be able to get to seville from madrid on dec. 29? that flight is "air nostrum" which might be affiliated with iberia, but not sure how that works. (hmmm....assume that if we're on iberia dec. 28 and when it becomes midnight and we're flying over the atlantic that the pilot won't say (in spanish of course:"sorry, i'm on strike now"!)
You should be fine with Air Nostrum as their flights are not affected by the strike.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by dutch_122
Dear Totti,

If help needed, let me know, will see what i can do.
I do have late shifts 26th till 29th of December Iberia & British Airways ticketing desk.
Most likely same rules as for this coming sunday.

Dutch_122
Thanks for your kind offer. I will wait another two days or so but if I cannot get any new information I will happily get in touch with you.

What makes we wonder though is a sentence stated in the Q&A's on the IB website:
Originally Posted by Iberia website
Am I entitled to receive compensation?
We will comply with our passenger care obligations (e.g. provision of meals, hotel accommodation etc. as appropriate) under European regulation 261/04.
You are not entitled to additional compensation, as this incidence is considered to be an "exceptional circumstance" for which Iberia as an airline cannot be held responsible.
Why is this an exceptional circumstance in accordance with the EU regulation. It is a strike by IB pilots and if IB fails to settle the dispute with their own pilots it is clearly their problem. I am pretty sure that this argument is not correct.

Anyway, I am not keen to get a compensation anyway but would rather fly as booked or get rebooked to another airline on the same day.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat, PC Plat
Originally Posted by carol1942

As posted above, as long as it is an IB8XXX (Air Nostrum) you won’t have any problems.

If you have separate tickets and therefore the Air Nostrum domestic sector you originally have is not covered by the flexibility for date changes granted due to the strike, another option from Madrid to Seville is the AVE high-speed train.
IIRC it only takes 2.5 hours.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My original flight on the morning of the 29th from MAD to LHR has been cancelled. IB have automatically rebooked me on a flight 2 hours later and even got my seat assignment pretty much correct. Mildly impressed. ^
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: aa, delta,us airways, southwest, iberia
Smile iberia pilot strike dec. 29 2011

thank you perli and aikos for the information. because of that, i was able to rebook for a day earlier with confidence that we can fly madrid to seville on dec. 29 with air nostrum. since this is our time with our daughter, son in law and grandchildren who live in seville, it's a precious time. hurray, we get to see them a day earlier.
ps- i'm a newbie to this site and still trying to figure out certain aspects, but it's a wonderful, helpful and friendly place.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
My original flight on the morning of the 29th from MAD to LHR has been cancelled. IB have automatically rebooked me on a flight 2 hours later and even got my seat assignment pretty much correct. Mildly impressed. ^
Good to hear that it worked for you. My original MAD-FRA flight is now officially canceled and they rebooked me to a flight 4 hours later As I "only" have an C class award ticket I had to call BA to sort things out and the only alternatives they seem to offer is rebooking to IB or BA metal flights. This will not help me much as I either have to fly a day earlier or arrive more than 4 hours later in the middle of the night.

What annoys me most is the marketing bla bla on the IB website. The mention that they have agreements with 27 other airlines and will do their best to rebook everyone but in the end they are actually unwilling to find the best possible solution for the customer which in my case would be either rebooking with LX or SN or a mix of IB and LA. I should probably mention that I only fly AGP-MAD-FRA which makes a 4 hours delay even more annoying.

Lets see what happens in the next days.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: M&M, FB, QF (no status)
This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a while . Would appreciate any advice!

I am booked on IB to fly TXL-MAD-EZE on 12/28, leaving TXL at 7:20a. My connecting flight IB 6845 was moved from 12 pm to 11:35 pm, meaning that I now have a 13 hour layover in MAD that I would like to avoid. The German IB phone line told me that all later TXL-MAD flights are full. They also refused to put me on the more comfortable BA flights via LHR.
Should I call again and insist or deal with the loooooooooong layover in MAD?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: M&M, FB, QF (no status)
Calling again did the trick. This time the agent was more accomodating and put me on TXL-LHR-EZE on BA. So I guess insisting and knowing your options does work out!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:13 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Originally Posted by nvhber
Calling again did the trick. This time the agent was more accomodating and put me on TXL-LHR-EZE on BA. So I guess insisting and knowing your options does work out!
Good to hear they rebooked you on those flights.
If people need some help let me know, maybe i'm able to help.

dutch_122
Old Dec 26, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
i'm ticketed on dec 29 ord-mad (aa flight number) then connecting to lhr (ba flightnumber)..all operated by iberia...website says not cancelled...wonder if i should be asked to be switched to a direct ord-lhr or take my chances on the ord-mad.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Pilots strike on 9th & 11th January too
http://megustavolar.iberia.com/2011/...-9th-and-11th/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.