Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt on the Bund, Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt on the Bund, Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How strict is the club lounge on bringing a guest in to the lounge for drinks?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How strict is the club lounge on bringing a guest in to the lounge for drinks?
Did you book your room for two people? They didn’t seem too strict when I was here, but it’s been a number of years...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Booked for one but have a colleague staying in hotel
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Just finished a great 2-night stay here. Used a free night cert and points plus an Explorist Club Access award, which was worth it even for only two nights. The location is pretty good, depending on what you're interested in (it's a short walk from the Bund). We were in room 2228 in the West Tower and had a phenomenal view of the Pudong skyline and the Bund.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
does this hotel charge for hotel guests visiting the club? Im thinking of booking two rooms here (family of 4). Will all 4 of use get complimentary club access, or just myself?

We're debating staying here or the Grand
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
does this hotel charge for hotel guests visiting the club? Im thinking of booking two rooms here (family of 4). Will all 4 of use get complimentary club access, or just myself?

We're debating staying here or the Grand
Both hotels officially charge for guests that aren't staying in the same room as the Globalist. The clubs at these two hotels get quite busy and guests have been complaining about this so they're really trying to limit the access now.

I'd consider booking the second room entirely on points as GOH for the second party or do a club upgrade with points in advance.

People who seek to take a friend of colleague up to the Club (which I often do as well) should book a room for two especially since the rate doesn't change most of the time. I usually ask if they would like to register the second guest just to use the club or if it's ok and the staff mostly doesn't want to go through the trouble especially when the person doesn't really stay at the hotel. Offering to be by the book goes a long way.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:36 am

Shanghai: Hyatt on The Bund to rebrand as PH (and possibly split into two as GH)

Hello World. Here's a piece of news regarding Hyatt accommodation in Shanghai, China: Hyatt on The Bund is scheduled for refurbishment starting March 2022, and will be rebranded as Park Hyatt on The Bund.

There's no sign on Hyatt Development website yet, however Shimao Group, the owner of HOB, has already registered a "Park Hyatt" property in the star-rated hotel database of PRC's Ministry of Culture and Tourism for its affiliate that directly owns HOB.

Since I'm new here I'll not be able to post a link, but the webpage is entirely in Chinese anyway. The registration number in the database is 3150067.

A new rumour on FlyerTea suggested that HOB may be split into two properties, with its East Wing rebranding as Park Hyatt on the Bund and its West Wing rebranding as Grand Hyatt on The Bund. It makes sense realistically given the enormity of HOB.

Since this piece of information was confirmed in the last few days, it didn't make it to Hyatt Development site this month yet. Will update if it's on the site.

Last edited by GeneralTalker1030; Sep 13, 2021 at 3:44 am Reason: Title
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thank you and welcome to FT.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:02 pm

Stayed here again this past weekend and it is very much due for a refurbishment, even though it still is one of my favorite Hyatts in the city. New construction has blocked the Bund view from the club, so if they do a real top-to-bottom renovation it would be nice if they moved the lounge to a higher floor.

Not sure how I feel about a rebranding in whole or in part to Park Hyatt; this property has always hit the sweet spot for me in terms of pricing vs. quality. I had also assumed there were rules about having multiple locations of the same brand within a geographic area — isn't that why HoB has its name, to serve as a "stealth" Grand Hyatt that doesn't step on the other's toes?
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:45 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster

Not sure how I feel about a rebranding in whole or in part to Park Hyatt; this property has always hit the sweet spot for me in terms of pricing vs. quality. I had also assumed there were rules about having multiple locations of the same brand within a geographic area — isn't that why HoB has its name, to serve as a "stealth" Grand Hyatt that doesn't step on the other's toes?
This is common for Shanghai. I am sure you are aware of how large the city is geographically and how different it is depending on which side of the huangpu you're on. Thus, many flags operate multiple hotels in the city. There is a Ritz Carlton in Pudong and a Ritz Carlton in Puxi. There is a Shangrila in Pudong and a Shangrila in Puxi. There was a (bad) St. Regis in Pudong and still is a St. Regis in Puxi. There was a Four Seasons in Pudong and a Four Seasons in Puxi (lol rip FS in Shanghai). There are too many JW Marriotts in Shanghai to keep track of these days lol.

The current Park Hyatt location is pretty bad for leisure travelers and even not ideal for business travelers IMO (though it really depends on where your business meetings/conferences are). But if we're being honest, the location of the Hyatt on the Bund is still not "top tier" for leisure travelers IMO (though definitely much better than the PH in Pujersey). Keeping a luxury option on both sides of the river is fine but I wish they could get a Shanghai PH in a more walkable location.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
This is common for Shanghai. I am sure you are aware of how large the city is geographically and how different it is depending on which side of the huangpu you're on. Thus, many flags operate multiple hotels in the city. There is a Ritz Carlton in Pudong and a Ritz Carlton in Puxi. There is a Shangrila in Pudong and a Shangrila in Puxi. There was a (bad) St. Regis in Pudong and still is a St. Regis in Puxi. There was a Four Seasons in Pudong and a Four Seasons in Puxi (lol rip FS in Shanghai). There are too many JW Marriotts in Shanghai to keep track of these days lol.

The current Park Hyatt location is pretty bad for leisure travelers and even not ideal for business travelers IMO (though it really depends on where your business meetings/conferences are). But if we're being honest, the location of the Hyatt on the Bund is still not "top tier" for leisure travelers IMO (though definitely much better than the PH in Pujersey). Keeping a luxury option on both sides of the river is fine but I wish they could get a Shanghai PH in a more walkable location.
Of course there are multiple locations for other chains as you mention, but I recall reading somewhere (might have been hearsay since I can't place the source) that Hyatt had its own limits on brand density, at least with the full-service properties.

I do agree the locations of Hyatts in Shanghai are not what anyone would call prime for tourism or leisure (Andaz possibly excepted), but I don't mind a walk to the subway station or a bike ride to get around.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:43 am

Stayed here again this past weekend and it is very much due for a refurbishment, even though it still is one of my favorite Hyatts in the city. New construction has blocked the Bund view from the club, so if they do a real top-to-bottom renovation it would be nice if they moved the lounge to a higher floor.

​​​​​​HOB started its life as a Hyatt Regency during planning stages. The owner and Hyatt worked out the "HOB" branding before opening given that HOB has a far higher construction standard than a typical HR.

It was a pretty good property in the older days, but IMAO, it has been a bit lackluster past COVID. I may be nitpicking here, but W in South Bund has posted serious challenges (at least in facilities). Shimao hasn't been the most generous owner (Le Royal Meridien's sub-par services, upgrade standards and quistionable details for refurbishment for instance), but I'm dying to see how they do.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:51 am

Of course there are multiple locations for other chains as you mention, but I recall reading somewhere (might have been hearsay since I can't place the source) that Hyatt had its own limits on brand density, at least with the full-service properties.

I do agree the locations of Hyatts in Shanghai are not what anyone would call prime for tourism or leisure (Andaz possibly excepted), but I don't mind a walk to the subway station or a bike ride to get around.
Yep, there's a soft limit (at least in China) that one city could only have one GH and/or one PH. HOB is somewhat exempted from the rule -- the property classifiers as a GH without GH in its Chinese and English names (it used to classify as a Hyatt, or HYATT property)
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GeneralTalker1030
Yep, there's a soft limit (at least in China) that one city could only have one GH and/or one PH. HOB is somewhat exempted from the rule -- the property classifiers as a GH without GH in its Chinese and English names (it used to classify as a Hyatt, or HYATT property)
One full service property is pretty much a given for Hyatt. That's why Andaz Tokyo is so much more luxurious than other Andaz properties. Mori wanted a PH so bad that they created a Park Hyatt lite with Andaz Tokyo. Tokyo Gas was never giving up the PH rights.

I would rather see Hyatt on the Bund in the Unbound Collection. A PH seems a bit of a stretch in its current state.

Last edited by Zorak; May 18, 2023 at 2:38 pm Reason: editing quote to match updated handle
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:47 pm

I would selfishly prefer a return to the plain Hyatt branding so I can knock that stamp off my list without going to India or spending a night in Rosemont.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.