FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Earning Points When Paying with Gift Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/579049-earning-points-when-paying-gift-card.html)

baby1234 Jul 14, 2006 9:41 am

Earning Points When Paying with Gift Card

This is my first post in the Hyatt forum :p

I was wondering if one can still earn points on a stay if paid with a Hyatt Gift Card as opposed to other traditional methods. I have a feeling it shouldn't make a difference, but just want to make sure.

I see that Hyatt has a new promotion now where you can earn 1000 points with the purchase of a $100 gift card. I have a stay coming up that will cost over $1200. I'm thinking of purchasing $1200 worth of gift cards, and thereby earn 12000 points in addition to the points I'd earning for my stay.

Good idea?

CX881 Jul 14, 2006 9:55 am

Yes, payment by Hyatt GC will earn you points. Hyatt offered the same promotion last Fall when they first introduced the GC. I think it is a great idea!

Mary2e Jul 14, 2006 9:59 am

Originally Posted by CX881
Yes, payment by Hyatt GC will earn you points. Hyatt offered the same promotion last Fall when they first introduced the GC. I think it is a great idea!

I used $1500 of gift cards I purchased during the last promotion and received points. In effect, I collected almost 30k points for my 9 day stay when I combined the purchase of the cards with the points earned for the stay ^^

If they're doing it again... well, it's time to go shopping ;) Thanks for the heads up.

TravelGuy1965 Jul 14, 2006 10:23 am

Wow -= thanks for the heads up on the 1000GP bonus for gift cards again.

A wonderful way to get an effective 10-25% discount on stays depending on how you value GPs.

Limitation being during FFN promotions where the entire bill needs to be paid on MasterCard to get the FFN.

mauld Jul 14, 2006 10:40 am

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Limitation being during FFN promotions where the entire bill needs to be paid on MasterCard to get the FFN.

Unless you book an internet rate and fully prepay for your room/tax on your MC, then use your GC for the other expenses incurred (food, spa, parking etc.) :D

TravelGuy1965 Jul 14, 2006 11:14 am

Good Point!

Originally Posted by mauld
Unless you book an internet rate and fully prepay for your room/tax on your MC, then use your GC for the other expenses incurred (food, spa, parking etc.) :D

OnePassLover Jul 14, 2006 9:45 pm

From T&C, card value does not expire. This is very good cause many other gift cards expire in 1 year or charge a monthly fee after certain period.

I seem to remember someone mentioned that it is treated as cash so the total amount for the stay still show up on the bill. Can someone please confirm or else I couldn't get reimbursement.

Mary2e Jul 15, 2006 6:39 am

Yes, the total of your bill shows up, and the value of gift cards are treated like cash or credit card payments. You also get points for the full amount of your stay.

OnePassLover Jul 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Thanks. Promotion starts today!

thesilb Jul 15, 2006 11:30 pm

I am SO GLAD this promotion is starting up again! THANKS HYATT!!!

lovtofly3 Jul 16, 2006 4:20 am

Just to make it clear, as there is a $6 shiping charge.Can I buy 5 $100 cards on 1 order and expect to earn 5K points??
OP.. Thanks for the posting of this this new promo.

Mary2e Jul 16, 2006 8:34 am

Yes. I ordered 15k worth at one time last year. I got 3 $500 cards. The points posted within a week.

nub2travel Jul 16, 2006 1:10 pm

I did not order the gift cards during the last promotion. :mad:
How could I be so stupid. We've spent 1600 at Hyatt in the last two months. I just informed breadwinner we will be buying about 1000.00. Or should I go for 1500.00? We are going to Aruba. I think 1500.00 will do the trick.

Mary2e Jul 16, 2006 2:29 pm

$1500 just about covered a 9 night stay in Waikiki, plus some of the Amex GC I earned during the last promotion.

At a minimum, cover your per night cost with them.

Bondiboy Jul 16, 2006 3:46 pm

Can Gift Checks be used for (all) International Properties?

Mary,

I have never previously thought of Gift Checks as almost all of my current travel is international.

As the "rules" seem a little vague (they refer to what is printed on the front of the actual certificate), can you please confirm that they are valid for use at all international properties. (I have seen the list which refers to "HG" and "HC" but there does not seem to ba an explanation of these terms)