Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hp12c
Not that I saw or read anywhere.
Hotel fact sheet still mentions car service, but I don't see anyone making use of it in this thread so that's why I was curious.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:31 pm

Just booked the Oct 14-16 weekend on points - did not notice this...

"Cancelation policy: Full Prepayment/no Refund/no Changes "
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
Just booked the Oct 14-16 weekend on points - did not notice this...

"Cancelation policy: Full Prepayment/no Refund/no Changes "
You're lucky to have a room that weekend, the town looks darn near sold out
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
You're lucky to have a room that weekend, the town looks darn near sold out
I think I did snag the last award room. What's happening that weekend?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
I think I did snag the last award room. What's happening that weekend?
World Bank / IMF meeting in person -- big event
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:03 pm
pjs

Will be at PH DC this weekend. Anyone know if we can have brunch instead of breakfast at Blue Duck as our breakfast benefit? Thx
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:01 am
pjs

Originally Posted by pjs
Will be at PH DC this weekend. Anyone know if we can have brunch instead of breakfast at Blue Duck as our breakfast benefit? Thx
And they said no
bgriff and iluvdoco like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
And they said no
It might not be a complete no -- the hard no is to having brunch during brunch hours, which are essentially lunch hours (11:30-2)... you can only use the breakfast benefit during breakfast hours (6:30-10 or whatever). But you might find that on the weekend, the breakfast menu has a couple of the brunch items (specifically, I've seen the excellent crab cake or pecan sticky buns on there), presumably since they are prepping those items that day anyhow. So if you're in it for the food items as opposed to the timing of the meal (or the alcohol -- also not covered), you might still be able to tuck into a couple of brunchy items depending on the menu that day.
pjs, MSPeconomist and iluvdoco like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:46 am

When they say you get $60 towards Globalist breakfast, does that include tax?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by hp12c
This is a great bottom line assessment of the property. We checked out yesterday from what was supposed to be a three-night stay that turned into four nights. I had booked three nights with points and tried to apply a TSU - the standard suite was available. For whatever reason, nobody at the property/concierge line could figure out how to get the TSU to clear, so I was told that they would block me into an Ambassador Suite instead. I reconfirmed this like three times before our stay as I was REALLY pumped about the suite. Upon check-in, there was no Ambassador Suite available, but we got a Georgetown Suite, which I've always found to be very comfortable. I'd generally be upset that a hotel didn't do what they said they would, but it was tough to be even remotely disappointed that the Ambassador Suite didn't pull through since even the Georgetown Suite is above and beyond what they're meant to provide on a suite upgrade.
You might not have missed that much… I had the Ambassador Suite once due to a problem with getting the promised Georgetown Suite (although at that time it did not exist... it was grouped into Executive suite). My wife greatly preferred the Georgetown suite due to the layout. I did appreciate the higher quality fittings in the Ambassador Suite, but also preferred the layout of the Georgetown Suite. Important note on the Ambassador Suite... it has a connecting bedroom with exceptionally poor sound proofing. During our stay the couple that was assigned the connecting bedroom had a sick infant who cried constantly and I'm not exaggerating. This absolutely made the Ambassador Suite far worse. The Georgetown suite also has a connecting door, but I think the placement is far less of a potential issue. Been in a Georgetown Suite many times and never had an issue.

Unfortunately, the prices at the PHDC have suddenly started to move up, so... a few weeks ago I finally decided to try the Fairmont across the street. I was expecting a major letdown (especially coming from Georgetown suites). But I actually rather liked the place even though I only had a standard room (with an upgraded courtyard view). I figured breakfast would be a huge letdown from The Blue Duck... but again I was surprised... the Crab Benedict at the Fairmont was exceptionally well prepared. I still like the PHDC very much, but it is nice to know there is a good option across the street if the PHDC gets too $$$. My wife liked the Fairmont even more than I did.

Last edited by schriste; Jul 18, 2022 at 7:19 pm
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Had a 5 day stay in a Junior Suite here - hadnt made Globalist yet (this stay put me over) but did get a AMEX FHR res for a breakfast and credit for one night - they moved me into a suite to match the rest of my res. In general, I thought service was excellent, Blue Duck was very solid (though I felt a little snooty when I showed up after a bike ride in helmet, etc., trying to get a seat from the outdoors rather than traipse through the lobby). Got cookies one night, sorta wish I had multiple nights of goodies like I had at the Grand Hyatt but honestly, better off.

Room is a little worn - the desk had definitely water damage to the wood, for instance. Pool still closed but there's a nearby health club that you can get passes to; lobby coffee was excellent, nearby Tatte for breakfast even better. Walked into Georgetown almost every evening for dinner. Was quite happy with my stay.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Booking & Check In
I originally booked a king room for around $300/night. Later I realized they still offered the generous healthcare discount so I asked if they’d honor that if I upgraded to a premium suite. They said yes, changed my room to a junior suite, the price to $230/night, and removed the healthcare discount from the website. Mostly good stuff – but they didn’t do the premium suite part – I went back and forth on a couple emails then phone calls before giving up. Then a few days later a manager followed up and upgraded me to an Executive Suite for the hassle. So it was all a smidge annoying, but I got a premium suite for $230/night, hard to be upset at that outcome.

When it came time to check in, it was a weird experience. Before arrival I used mobile check-in and got my virtual key, but I did stop by the desk to ask for a couple keys printed (virtual keys can be flaky) and inquire as to the globalist breakfast situation. The breakfast was explained as covering up to $120 room-service or in-restaurant.

The funny part was to print a key they asked for my ID (makes sense!), but then asked for a credit card. I told them I don’t have the card I used to book the room with me (it’s a virtual card), but that it should be fine, it’s all on the reservation. They refused unless I provided another card, and I told them I wanted to stick with the original card, so I just left and went to the room using the virtual key. This is an annoying thing at some Hyatts, but most have no issue with it.

Hotel & location
The main lobby level and restaurant areas are very nice and modern – it feels like a Park Hyatt level establishment – until you get to the room (more later). The lobby was large and welcoming, though they clearly don’t know how to manage the car traffic. Numerous cars were just left completely vacant in front of the hotel which actually led to the whole road getting a bit backed up.

The location is a bit of a bummer if you’re there for the main tourist attractions along the National Mall, but it’s a nice walk and we didn’t mind. It’s reasonably close to Georgetown, and it’s lovely to take a stroll down the canal and around the university.

Room
Sadly, despite being an Executive Suite, the room was fairly disappointing. Honestly it felt like an aging Hyatt Regency. On the plus side, the bed was super comfortable, the shower/tub were fast to respond to temperature changes, and the room was spacious, but that’s the end of the positives.

Aside from simply being old and clearly worn down, the biggest problem I have with the room is that it’s not…convenient. For example, it’s missing the control board you typically have by the bed for lights, don’t disturb, etc. Similarly, the massive wall of curtains is probably 40ft+ in total, and it’s entirely manual. That’s a lot of curtains and blinds to work through if you want to open-up or close-up the room. It’s also got some annoying design decisions like it being 1000 sq ft, but not a real suite (open floor plan). It had the same vibe in the bathroom, I’d really like a water closet, but nah, if you’re doing some serious toilet business the rest of the bathroom, including the sinks, bathtub, and shower are probably best kept vacant.

Furthering the inconvenience, only 1 side of the bed has any outlets available (and half were broken, lol). And while the HVAC is powerful, all of the vents in the bedroom section are completely blocked by the curtains when drawn (which is what you’ll want at night).

Now let’s talk about the noise, I mean this 100% seriously, when our next door neighbor would close their door, our bed would shake. We could also hear every word that was spoken. Now I grant that our neighbor was…louder than average in speaking volume, but still, c’mon.

Service
I already covered the booking & check-in processes that were short of super. We had two other needs arise during our stay.

Firstly, we ordered room service breakfast. Fortunately this was excellent, on par with other top tier PHs. There was a nice selection of non-standard options, including a spare rib hash, which was excellent. Food was delivered in a reasonable amount of time, and even better, you could order online via a website the Hyatt app linked to. Easy and seamless (I hate ordering on the phone), the first time I’ve seen that in a PH I believe.

On the downside, we brought takeout back to our room one evening and they didn't include silverware. So we called the front desk and were assured some would be sent right up. 30 minutes later I called back and was assured it was “already on its way”. 20 minutes later I went downstairs and asked around until I procured silverware myself at the bar. Look, I realize room service departments get backed up, no problem, but please just tell me it’s going to take a while, and I’ll happily grab it myself.

Conclusion
Look, I know I complained a lot above, and given my expectations of the PH brand, I was disappointed. That said, I did only pay $230/night which does take any emotion out of the disappointment. In any case, for the standard $300+/night rate, you can do better in DC imo, and I likely won’t stay there again until it’s heavily renovated.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by manu08
Furthering the inconvenience, only 1 side of the bed has any outlets available (and half were broken, lol).
This is my number one complaint about the PH DC - guess which side of the bed I sleep on. Somehow, every junior suite I've been in has this issue despite staying in both (?) orientations of the suite.

Alas, I keep coming back when in the area and now keep an extension cord permanently in my luggage thanks to PH DC.
manu08 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Really pleasant stay for a few nights for a birthday weekend away. DC was relatively empty, as was the hotel, over the holidays. Upgraded to a comfortable junior suite and great breakfast at Blue Duck Tavern. Hotel rooms starting to show their age.

Booking, Transit and Check-In

Booked with a 1-7 FNA and 29k points for additional night. Interestingly Hyatt Concierge declined to apply TSU since points night abutted a certificate night. I wasn’t too fussed. She did notate the record that it was our birthdays.

By the time the date approached, the Hyatt app was showing upgrade to a Park Junior Suite King the day before check-in. We took the metrorail from Reagan-DCA, which was super easy. It was a very easy 4-5 block walk from the Foggy Bottom GWU metrorail stop (0.4 miles according to Google Maps). No line to check-in. Welcomed as a Globalist with breakfast benefit highlighted as $60 pp. No mention of our birthdays or the upgraded room. <shrug>

Suite & Bedroom

On our way up I noticed that a couple of the elevators had a seating bench in them, but the cloth had seen better days. We received a junior suite on the 10th floor away from the elevator (our preference), which was a bit of a walk. Rooms next door were empty, so even though suite had a connecting door, we didn’t have noise issues.

Suite itself was just perfect for our needs, with a sitting area and desk, modest sized bedroom (no door) and a bathroom with large single vanity. The suite was a bit more classy than it looks in the photos. I agree with others it’s maybe just starting to show its age, but still passable as modern. The bathroom was on the small side, and didn’t have a separate WC. The tub was incorporated into the open shower complex. Amenities were Le Labo Bergamotte 22 with full size bottles in the shower. The closet was in the bathroom, so navigating around eachother in the morning was tight, but more spacious than some city apartments we’ve lived in our past. Lots of hangers in the closet (yay!).

The bed was on the firm side, as were the pillows. I’d ask for a topper next time. My biggest gripe would be the “duvet”, if one can call it that. It was thin and skimpy, practically a sheet. We like the room cold when we sleep, but this provided no warmth and coziness. To my frustration, there were no spare blankets or pillows in the suite. We requested two extra duvets, which helped (although housekeeping removed them during turndown service, so had to call down again). Another gripe: my wife’s side of the bed had no obvious plugs.

When we returned that night after dinner, a cloche with four chocolate cookies (yum!) and some sparkling water was waiting for us, I presume as a welcome amenity.

Breakfast + Tea Cellar at the Blue Duck

Really enjoyed the Blue Duck Tavern; it elevated the experience at the Park Hyatt. The $60 pp was sufficient for an entree, a side, a coffee and/or a juice. Everything we ate, while simple, was done to a high standard, from the croissants to the house-made Bircher muesli to the short rib hash. One day we went over $120 and there were no charges at check out. Service was excellent and attentive. We never had to wait for a table, but bear in mind that the tables by the windows go first, so those were never available when we arrived.

We also enjoyed some drinks in the lounge, called the Tea Cellar, at the Blue Duck Tavern. They had a mix of tables and armchairs along the windows. Very cool tea menu and a setup to keep your tea pot warm while it was seeping.

Valet

We had a car one day. Parking with the valet was fine, but they seemed a bit confused and uncoordinated. It all worked out with a bit of patience. Charges were wiped at check-out.

Fitness Room & Pool

The fitness, spa and pool area is down a long hallway on the 3rd floor, then through a door, and down some stairs. A bit strange. We didn’t get a chance to try out the pool or hot tub, but including pictures here for completeness. The fitness room itself was small — it would probably feel crowded with more than 3-5 people using it at once. And certainly only one person in the weight bench area. Machines were clean and modern Technogym equipment. In addition to the standard equipment and weight machines, they had free weights with just one bench and a couple Peloton bikes. Fresh fruit and bottled water were available. The windows looked out over the street and the WWF headquarters.

Check-Out

Relatively painless to check-out and a quick 25 min drive to the DCA airport (no traffic — lucky us).

Final thoughts

We would stay again in a heartbeat! Comfortable, elevated hotel with a great restaurant in a quiet neighborhood with easy access to three Metrorail lines from Foggy Bottom station to other parts of the city. Never had an issue calling an Uber, but of course the holiday week meant it was not busy in town. The soft product was excellent and the hard product was good, with an opportunity for the hotel to continue to improve here. Currently a Cat6, which seems about right.

Bonus tip: Recommended Restaurants

Thanks to Amex concierge we were able to get a table at Albi, a 2022 Michelin-star restaurant from a Palestinian chef in the Navy Yards, despite no availability showing on Resy. Phenomenal Levant food and wine from across the region with a $125 tasting menu and $55/$95 for wine pairing. The sommelier had poured heart and soul into the wine list, with love letters and odes to wineries along with entertaining tasting notes. Can’t recommend this place highly enough if you like a modern twist on Middle Eastern cuisine and wines.

For those willing to go a bit further afield in search of world-class ramen, we were blown away by the bowls at Menya Hosaki in the Petworth neighborhood. Tip — get on the waitlist via Yelp before you go. We learned the hard way and had a 2 hour wait to get in. But it was oh-so-worth it. The Tantan was spicy but delicious and the Triple Threat had the coziest broth you ever tasted on a cold evening.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Some pics

Junior Park Suite King

Junior Park Suite King

Full size Le Labo in the shower/tub “room”

Wide single vanity, no separate WC

Breakfast menu at the Blue Duck Tavern

Pastry basket, muffin varied daily

Bircher muesli, yogurt parfait and smoked salmon egg white scramble

Following the maze to the fitness room

dpb132, rhg247, macguitar and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.