FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/556677-hyatt-grand-central-new-york-review-master-thread.html)

mikeef Mar 12, 2024 6:17 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 36072867)
I hope you changed rooms if you didn't have data on your phone or other devices. The hotel is living on borrowed time. If you didn't get a very cheap rate for NYC, it's not worth staying there, IMO.

-David

Thanks, I did. The new room wasn’t any better and I ended up with 20k Hyatt points out of the adventure. Managed to get some data on my phone, but it was ugly.

Mike

UA_Flyer Mar 12, 2024 6:38 am

Has there being any news about when this property will be shut down or the development is being on hold.

I read (but not necessarily specific to this property), a number of commercial office related projects are now on hold or suspended due to remote/teleworking trend that have huge impact on having over supplies of office spaces in Manhattan.

If this property is continue to exist due to economics of development office building is not attractive, they should undertake a major renovation project to upgrade this property to make it Grand Hyatt again. It is hard to believe a major city such as NYC that does not have a Grand Hyatt.

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 36072380)
I’m here now and should have read Flyertalk. This hotel is pretty bad. I have no WiFi and they connected me to the offshore call center that told me there was nothing they could do. The front desk told me I’d have to change rooms, because some get better access than others.

The lounge is awful. The same food is pretty much left out all day. Pre-packaged pastries, granola bars, boxes of cereal. There was also nobody actually staffing the lounge.

Rooms are definitely old and the elevators make funny creaking noises. The employees are, for the most part, nice.

Is there some rule that Hyatts in New York have no internet access? I had the same problem at the Hyatt Centric (the old Andaz)?

Mike

The internet access is below average at Hyatt Grand Central. I have always have issues with speed and often my devices just won't connect.

On the Lounge, it is not a Grand Hyatt anymore, so the lounge is not a Grand Club and should lower our expectation accordingly.
I just go there to get coffee and beverages, and someitme a place to work when the room is being cleaned. Nothing more.

coleslaw Mar 12, 2024 7:00 am

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 36073493)
Thanks, I did. The new room wasn’t any better and I ended up with 20k Hyatt points out of the adventure. Managed to get some data on my phone, but it was ugly.

Mike

Did the points come from the property or from your concierge / Hyatt corporate?

Matt4200 Mar 12, 2024 7:04 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 36073599)
Did the points come from the property or from your concierge / Hyatt corporate?

Usually reimbursement is from the property directly.

coleslaw Mar 12, 2024 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 36073602)
Usually reimbursement is from the property directly.

It varies, which is why I was asking.

Matt4200 Mar 12, 2024 7:13 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 36073605)
It varies, which is why I was asking.

The only time I’ve seen it vary (Corporate or MHC issue points for an on property issue) is if the hotel fails to respond to Hyatt Corporate which generally takes 3 months.

The process usually goes -

Customer submits complaint, it gets routed to Hyatt and MHC (if applicable), they send it to the hotel’s GM for review and resolution. GM reaches out to resolve concerns and copy of resolution is sent to Hyatt corporate and included in your Hyatt internal file both on the property level and the entire network.

That’s at least my knowledge of Hyatt’s process.

coleslaw Mar 12, 2024 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 36073619)
The only time I’ve seen it vary (Corporate or MHC issue points for an on property issue) is if the hotel fails to respond to Hyatt Corporate which generally takes 3 months.

The process usually goes -

Customer submits complaint, it gets routed to Hyatt and MHC (if applicable), they send it to the hotel’s GM for review and resolution. GM reaches out to resolve concerns and copy of resolution is sent to Hyatt corporate and included in your Hyatt internal file both on the property level and the entire network.

That’s at least my knowledge of Hyatt’s process.

Again, it varies. I’m not disputing your experiences. But your experiences are not representative of everyone else’s experiences.

Matt4200 Mar 12, 2024 7:42 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 36073666)
Again, it varies. I’m not disputing your experiences. But your experiences are not representative of everyone else’s experiences.

My analysis isn’t solely based on my experiences.

It’s my experiences + FT Reviews/Experiences + Reddit Experiences + Blogger Experiences + FB Hyatt Group Experiences + Google/Travel Site Reviews/Experiences + Friends/Family Experiences.

Not sure why you’d think I’d base everything solely on my experiences.

SHLTP Mar 12, 2024 8:29 pm

Not to go off topic too much, but two times staff at properties posted on social media I was at the property with my family. Both times I called HQ to express displeasure and they gave me points immediately.

I had also spoken to the hotel GMs about the problem too previously but also wanted to let HQ know so that they would remind all properties not to do this. I don't mind them posting if they ask permission or after I leave but not while I'm on property, esp with family.

All other times properties gave me points

SP03 Mar 12, 2024 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP (Post 36075411)
Not to go off topic too much, but two times staff at properties posted on social media I was at the property with my family. Both times I called HQ to express displeasure and they gave me points immediately.

I had also spoken to the hotel GMs about the problem too previously but also wanted to let HQ know so that they would remind all properties not to do this. I don't mind them posting if they ask permission or after I leave but not while I'm on property, esp with family.

All other times properties gave me points

What did they post? They took pictures of you and posted on Instagram?

hotelfanatic Mar 12, 2024 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP (Post 36075411)

Which property?

SHLTP Mar 13, 2024 1:34 am

Twitter. The hotels have already changed GMs at least once and I think twice so I don't want to ding them here as that would be unfair to present teams. Both were Park Hyatts and should have known better than to publicize guests.

​​​​​​

​​​​

SP03 Mar 13, 2024 6:37 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP (Post 36075819)
Twitter. The hotels have already changed GMs at least once and I think twice so I don't want to ding them here as that would be unfair to present teams. Both were Park Hyatts and should have known better than to publicize guests.

​​​​
​​​​

Did they take a photo of your family and posted on Twitter? Are you famous? I'm still confused. Can't imagine any hotel do that routinely, esp twice for the same family

hotelfanatic Mar 13, 2024 7:19 am

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 36076313)
Can't imagine any hotel do that routinely, esp twice for the same family

I believe this is NOT an US Park Hyatt.

PTahCha Mar 18, 2024 11:57 am

Had a 2 night stay this past weekend, with a decent corporate rate compared to rest of the Hyatt properties.

First of all, they now have a person checking for room key before they would let you into the hotel. When I told the guy that I am checking in (luggage in tow), he looked confused momentarily. For the rest of the trip, the keycard checking people were friendly once you show your room key.

Check in desk person was overtly friendly. She explained all the Globlist benefits (breakfast buffet at the restaurant), $15 credit at the Market, and lounge access. And then she handed me this bonus coupon:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...81b5da3306.jpg

Which turned out to be 2 bottled water and a bag of savory snack, along with a thank you card.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3ce8b1b8d5.jpg

I received the King room as reserved - no upgrade. My window had this lovely view.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...68e63c3130.jpg

(yes, someone decided to throw a towel onto the mid-level rooftop)

For the life of me, I can't find any mechanism to lift the shade. But this is the life altering view once you go behind the shade:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ca8862d32b.jpg

The bath amenities were from Beekman 1802 Pure line (aka unscented). Only shampoo and conditioner were provided - no bath gel. They do give 2 bars of Pharmacopia soap.

[Sidenote - this is now the second Hyatt where they were using Beekman 1802 - the other one is HR Jersey City. I'm wondering if they are shifting away from Pharmacopia]

I worked from the room, and wi-fi internet is decent. However, my in-room phone did not work (can't take advantage of all those free calls included with the destination charge), and Qi-charging pad on the nightstand did not work either.

The lounge is decent - with coffee and bottled drinks all day (well, until the lounge closes at 10pm). There were packaged danish and muffins in the morning, and granola bars, chips, nuts, and dried fruit in the afternoon/evening. Wine and beer are available with a honor bar system.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...912a0f6a19.jpg

The breakfast buffet was decent - in addition to the usual scrambled eggs, they also have poached one on top of the corned beef hash. However, I would not pay $45 + 18% service charge + taxes for it.

All in all, this hotel is nothing to write home about, but serves the purpose of having a place to lay your head.