Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hua Hin Thailand - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hua Hin Thailand - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by price123
We used to book a balcony suite and have guaranteed upgrade to pool suite 5!
You prefer the pool suite? One thing I liked about the balcony suite was the high ceilings, especially the dome with skylight over the bath. Though the balcony itself is not particularly large or usable.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
same here, and i like the view of the sea in the morning when i wake up which you don't have on the ground floor.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thinking of staying here for a 4 day long weekend.

The regular King bed room looks to be a decent size (38 sq m is plenty). Unfortunately there are only club access rooms available on my dates so I'll have to book one of those (paying extra for something I get for free anyway) but the price is still good. I'll probably do a Privé rate since there's only about a $14 difference between the standard and member rates on my stay... the credit will more than make up for that.

I have a few questions...

Has anyone stayed recently? They mention some construction/renovation going on... how bad is it?

Is this a hotel where globalists get a choice between restaurant or lounge breakfast? (the GH BKK was)? I'm just trying to see the value of the Privé rate.

The Aleenta resort (SLH) is about the same price. Is staying there with essentially no status (ocean view residence, 45 sq m) better than staying at the HR Hua Hin as a globalist?

Also -- I'll be arriving in BKK late at night and leaving early in the morning.. I'd rather not overnight in BKK if it can be avoided.. What are some good ways to get to the area from BKK?. Are there reasonably priced car services that will take you there?. Is it possible to hire a driver?. It looks to be a 3+ hr drive... Is there a better way?. I could always rent a car as a last resort but I hate renting a car while on vacation.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Apr 2, 2019 at 1:06 am
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP,MAR-LTP;WoH-E;HH-G
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Thinking of staying here for a 4 day long weekend...

I have a few questions...

Has anyone stayed recently? They mention some construction/renovation going on... how bad is it?

Is this a hotel where globalists get a choice between restaurant or lounge breakfast? (the GH BKK was)? I'm just trying to see the value of the Privé rate.

The Aleenta resort (SLH) is about the same price. Is staying there with essentially no status (ocean view residence, 45 sq m) better than staying at the HR Hua Hin as a globalist?

Also -- I'll be arriving in BKK late at night and leaving early in the morning.. I'd rather not overnight in BKK if it can be avoided.. What are some good ways to get to the area from BKK?. Are there reasonably priced car services that will take you there?. Is it possible to hire a driver?. It looks to be a 3+ hr drive... Is there a better way?. I could always rent a car as a last resort but I hate renting a car while on vacation.
During a 3 week stay in Asia, we spent 4 days (Thurs-Sun) here in February. Had a 3rd floor club "garden view" room. I didn't notice any construction at all while we were there, it was actually pretty quiet the entire time.

Club/Elite Breakfast was available in both the club lounge (a covered, outdoor area) or in the Figs restaurant which features both indoor and outdoor seating. GM usually mingles with the guests during the evening happy hour, nice guy.

I can't speak to the Aleenta, having never stayed (I always opt to return to the HRHH), and as for transport, we typically overnight (or spend several days) at the GHE in BKK before heading to Hua Hin. They have a nice daily shuttle between properties for about ~800 baht p/p.

Pools and beach were great. There are two night markets just outside to the left of the Hyatt that have some pretty decent live music, good food and the typical souvenir stalls.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. As I read more carefully I see that renovation hasn't started yet (but will be going in while I'm there -- it states May 1 and goes through the end of September). It sounds extensive: Guestrooms, Deluxe rooms, Figs restaurant, You&Mee restaurant, and the swimming pool are being renovated. I may call them and ask -- I don't want to go to a hotel where nothing is usable while I'm there.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:19 pm

HR Hua Hin operates a shuttle between GHE and HRHH. We always take advantage of it. It works well for 1 or 2 people. More than that, you can look at a private car service. Not sure this works as well for you if your starting and ending points are BKK at those hours. The shuttle departs GHE at 2pm, IIRC, and departs HRHH at 10am, best I can recall.

We were just there in January. I don't think they started the reno yet.

For Globalists or anybody willing to pay the club rates, the dedicated areas (beach and pool) on the regency side of the hotel makes it a much nicer hotel than staying on the other side of the property. We like it. And there's several night markets right outside the hotel property.

-David
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
HR Hua Hin operates a shuttle between GHE and HRHH. We always take advantage of it. It works well for 1 or 2 people. More than that, you can look at a private car service.

For Globalists or anybody willing to pay the club rates, the dedicated areas (beach and pool) on the regency side of the hotel makes it a much nicer hotel than staying on the other side of the property. We like it. And there's several night markets right outside the hotel property.

-David
The problem is that I arrive in BKK at 11pm, and I leave at 8am 4 days later. So, I have a 3-day, 4-night trip. The ability to go from the airport straight to Hua Hin at 11pm or midnight, and leave Hua Hin at 1 or 2 am, gives me 3 full days there. If I overnight in BKK on both ends, and spend a "travel day" waiting for the shuttle and sitting in a 3-hour bus ride, I'm really down to only one full day there.

Does anyone know of a reliable private car service? "Reliable" is the key here. I don't want to be waiting around for an hour for the guy to show up. I'm not looking for anything fancy (I don't need a limo or anything), but I am looking for something that runs on whatever schedule I want, since time is tight.

Or, will a taxi take me that far? If so, how much should I offer the driver for the trip?

There are car services offered at the airport but they look kind of scammy, with people aggressively trying to sell them.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
You can use AOT at the airport to transfer, but it won't be cheap. We usually use the airport coach service but this doesn't run at the times you are considering. You could stay in an airport hotel and get the first and last coach, respectively?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
The problem is that I arrive in BKK at 11pm, and I leave at 8am 4 days later. So, I have a 3-day, 4-night trip. The ability to go from the airport straight to Hua Hin at 11pm or midnight, and leave Hua Hin at 1 or 2 am, gives me 3 full days there. If I overnight in BKK on both ends, and spend a "travel day" waiting for the shuttle and sitting in a 3-hour bus ride, I'm really down to only one full day there.

Does anyone know of a reliable private car service? "Reliable" is the key here. I don't want to be waiting around for an hour for the guy to show up. I'm not looking for anything fancy (I don't need a limo or anything), but I am looking for something that runs on whatever schedule I want, since time is tight.

Or, will a taxi take me that far? If so, how much should I offer the driver for the trip?

There are car services offered at the airport but they look kind of scammy, with people aggressively trying to sell them.
I did a lot of research on Taxi service and found all excellent reviews on:

HuaHin Service - Ms.Na

We used them last year round trip from BKK to HR Hua Hin. I’d definitely use again. Year before we stayed at HR Erawan and did the shuttle but time constraints wanted us skipping overnights in Bangkok last time around.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SF1K

I did a lot of research on Taxi service and found all excellent reviews on:

HuaHin Service - Ms.Na

We used them last year round trip from BKK to HR Hua Hin. I’d definitely use again. Year before we stayed at HR Erawan and did the shuttle but time constraints wanted us skipping overnights in Bangkok last time around.
This website has no information. It's mostly just pictures of cars.

I discovered that a lot of car services will do it for 2000 baht. Grab can do it on demand for about 2200-2300. That is relatively cheap so I'll probably book one of the car services and fall back to grab if the guy doesn't show up.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
This website has no information. It's mostly just pictures of cars.

I discovered that a lot of car services will do it for 2000 baht. Grab can do it on demand for about 2200-2300. That is relatively cheap so I'll probably book one of the car services and fall back to grab if the guy doesn't show up.
have used a few random services online. All pretty okay. On the way back to BKK about 6 weeks ago a lot of traffic. Took us around 5 1/2 hours leaving at 11am to get to Bangkok hotel. No real accidents we saw.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by footastic

have used a few random services online. All pretty okay. On the way back to BKK about 6 weeks ago a lot of traffic. Took us around 5 1/2 hours leaving at 11am to get to Bangkok hotel. No real accidents we saw.
Wow.

Luckily I'll be transferring overnight (inbound lands at 11pm; outbound leaves at 8am) so I'm basically looking at being on the road midnight - 3am in one direction and 3am-6am in the other direction.

I'm hoping that at that time, that's a reasonable time estimate. I may leave earlier for the flight back (I'll probably be ready to go by 1am anyway...)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RE: renovation, in case anyone else is wondering about this.

Basically, half the hotel is closed and off limits from May til September. I'm attaching the map they sent me. The end result is:

1. All the regular guest rooms are closed. Even as someone with status, you have to pay extra for a club room because that's all they have (normally as globalist I'd pay for a regular room and get upgraded to a club room, and if not, at least get club access). Having to pay for club access as a globalist is obviously a big negative.

2. Two of the restaurants are closed, as well as the main pool and the tennis and basketball courts. They are going to make the regency club pool open to everyone instead. I'm not sure if that will really lead to overcrowding at the pool (only the club rooms are available anyway, but presumably, some people in club rooms would usually use the main pool) However, I'd assume that closing two of the three restaurants will mean that the one remaining restaurant will be extremely crowded (since 2/3 of the rooms are not off limits)

I am going to look into other options for my trip, since these renovations seem like they will cause a lot of inconvenience.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I definitely would give this hotel a pass during the renovations.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, and it's too bad, because I was really looking forward to this property. It sounds amazing.

Also, Hyatt doesn't really have any other beach options in Thailand, other than Phuket. The Aleenta (SLH) is an option but there is a 50% up-charge to book through Hyatt instead of through the hotel (this premium is the difference between the refundable and non-refundable rates, but I would not pay 50% extra for a refundable rate, and Hyatt does not offer the non-refundable rate.)

I may status match my UA status to Marriott and see what Gold there will get me for this trip. Or maybe see if my Globalist status will get me something more in terms of a match from Marriott.

I'll probably watch the rates at this hotel too -- if the renovation is keeping people away they may have to drop them. If it gets cheap enough it will probably become worth it.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them! Any nice beach hotel within a few hrs drive of BKK would be good. This is not an area that I know very well at all (I've been to BKK once and did not leave the city).

Worst case, I'll forget the beach, head to one of the BKK Hyatts, and just relax by the pool and smoke cigars all weekend Kind of a long way to go for something that I could do in Vegas though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.