Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by danger
Lounging by the pool reading a book would suit me for a day or two. Shopping would also be fine. It sounds like I may get a little bored but it would be for three nights at most and I'd have a hire care.
Then by all means go to Scottsdale. It's a nice property with a great club. And you will enjoy the pool and the spa as well.

I was just there to relax in between more active days and for that it's perfect. Some decent places to eat as well if you have a car. And you could easily do a trip to somewhere in the desert.

And those rates are surely nice as well.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Hyatt Scottsdale (Gainey Ranch) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

2 night paid stay last week. No upgrade and resort fee not waived for Diamond (I did ask, declined). Nice pools and decent club but overall just 'OK' IMO.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by banzani
and decent club
In comparison to most US properties the club is more than just decent, compared with some international properties not so much.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by banzani
No upgrade and resort fee not waived for Diamond (I did ask, declined). Nice pools and decent club but overall just 'OK' IMO.
But, like many Hyatt resorts, they give Diamonds a $5 credit on the resort fee, which is better than the PH Aviara which gives you no credit at all.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:26 pm

Agreed on both posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
How does this compare to Phoenecian and JW Desert Ridge? Normally we stay at the JW but the std rooms are small for a family of 4 and I'd like to be a little closer to Scottsdale for Spring Training. I would like to use a Diamond suite upgrade cert but not optimistic. It looks like the Hyatt pool is comparable to the JW. Hyatt Place would be a steal at 8k/nt but no pool!!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I'm here now. I can't compare it to other high end PHX-area properties as the majority of my travel is in the east. It's a nice, spacious, comfortable property that has a relaxing vibe. As a Diamond I was upgraded to a Palm Suite, which is perfectly fine for a business trip with no family...but it's not a true suite (and has NO view).

The pool areas are spacious and nice, with separate family and adult sections, but the whole property seems a little dated...

I wouldn't hesitate to come back, but not sure I would fly the family across the country, knowing that Coconut Point (Bonita Springs, FL) is an easier trip and is still my gold standard for "lower 48" Hyatt resorts.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
As a followup...I was mildly excited for the "prickly pear margarita" offered at check-in. It ended up being pink sugary water. Honestly, I don't think I'm being that harsh of a critic. It was just awful.

I lived 10 years in California, if you're going to serve a margarita...serve one. This is a chance to be legendary, to have people coming back to you looking to find that margarita in a bar on property.

No one will be searching this one out.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:45 am

Coconut Pointe wins hands down, totally agree.

This is not a good resort for spacious rooms or suite using DSU.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:37 am

Any recent experiences here?

We're going to be out in Phoenix for 5 days over Christmas visiting family. We prefer to not stay with family during that time, but we'll mostly be out and about visiting them all during the day.

I have a BRG booked here for $151/night, which seems like a nice deal. Is the place decorated at all? Is this worth using a DSU? I'm in a regular king room right now, two adults and a toddler.

We stayed at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess last year, which had a great Christmas setup on the grounds - but the room itself wasn't great and the breakfast was awful in the restaurant. It's also twice the price.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:59 pm

I might add on - is it worth the premium over the Hyatt Regency Phoenix if we're not planning to spend a whole lot of time at the hotel? We have a toddler, so the breakfast benefit is probably the most important diamond consideration.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's a much better property for a leasure stay, and the club is very nice too with a decent breakfast and plenty of seating, even outside.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I might add on - is it worth the premium over the Hyatt Regency Phoenix if we're not planning to spend a whole lot of time at the hotel? We have a toddler, so the breakfast benefit is probably the most important diamond consideration.
I like both properties (downtown Regency and Gainey Ranch).
Normally, even though I'm not a parent, I'd say that with children Scottsdale Gainey Ranch is no doubt the better choice between the two (Scottsdale has wonderful pool areas including a sand "beach", while the downtown hotel is just a typical "convention" hotel [and is literally across the street from the Convention Center] ).

However, if your personal "most important" Diamond benefit is breakfast, then the Downtown Regency might be your choice. Having a Regency Club, Scottsdale breakfast will be in that club. It will be more like a continental breakfast. I personally don't object to that, but all other things being equal I'd prefer a full breakfast. Downtown Regency doesn't have a Club, so Diamond breakfast is in the "Terraces" restaurant. Terraces has the typical Hyatt breakfast menu with a few "regional" choices. The regional choices here have a southwestern flair. I love the chiquales (spelling is absolutely wrong) which are very spicy (thus not toddler friendly).

So I prefer the breakfast food at the (downtown) Terraces restaurant over Scottsdale's [enhanced ??] continental breakfast. But that's an adult's opinion of the food, I've no idea about "toddler offerings".

And thinking beyond "food", Terraces has absolutely zero atmosphere (remember: it's a convention hotel).
Scottsdale Gainey Ranch has plenty of atmosphere (remember: it's a resort hotel).

As for the (Scottsdale) Regency Club, it has an outdoor section that leads to a gazebo. The gazebo is submerged into a pond (water level outside the gazebo is about level with the table tops inside the gazebo) with Koi and ducks (and if I remember correctly, a turtle or 2). I'd think a toddler would be thrilled over this.
Outside of the Club there's plenty for the parents to take a toddler exploring.
Pool after pool after pool (many probably not recommended for toddlers). Gardens to stroll thru with flowers, [small] waterfalls, gondolas (tho late evening and seasonally). They also offer "Camp Hyatt" but again, I'm not a parent so really don't know what that means

Downtown Regency offers a pool where you can't point out "water" to your toddler; the pool offers nothing beyond that. A great fitness club ... for the adults. For strolls, there's the high rise elevators with thrilling (or scary, YMMV) views and the chance to "bust thru the ceiling" of the atrium lobby. Outside the hotel there's wonderful concrete side walks and the Convention Center. The light rail is also just around the corner. I hope I don't sound too negative on the Downtown Regency. I love the hotel and Diamond treatment but I don't think it's best with toddlers.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Does anyone know whether the Casita Suite is ever offered as a NOR1 upgrade?

I have DSU's, but the Palm Suite wont accommodate 2 kids...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Does anyone know whether the Casita Suite is ever offered as a NOR1 upgrade?

I have DSU's, but the Palm Suite wont accommodate 2 kids...
Not that I know of. One thing you might want to know is that the casitas are around the perimeter of the property, not attached to the main hotel building. Depending on how old your kids are, staying in a suite within the hotel building, even if you need to get an extra rollaway or something, is preferable. We'd stayed before at the Boulders and Princess, and with a little kid, having to walk half a mile for breakfast or to get the car was a real pain in the butt - at this hotel it's all in the building and very convenient. I think Hyatt got it right.

I know I'm not solving your problem, sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.