FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Waiver for 15 night cancellation window (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2091128-waiver-15-night-cancellation-window.html)

apjules Aug 17, 2022 10:21 am

Waiver for 15 night cancellation window

Hi, I booked a SLH in Italy on points which has a 15 night cancellation window. I changed my plans and we're still over 3 nights away. Do I have any hope of getting my points back? I requested cancellation and I have only been told no or 'we sent them an email and will check.' I am a Hyatt Globalist and was hoping that would help.

js1993 Aug 17, 2022 10:34 am

You canceled at 3 nights instead of 15? Probably not, but properties occasionally refund anyway.

beachfan Aug 17, 2022 10:48 am

Sometimes they will let you reschedule , speak to the hotel front desk manager.

PG.backpacker Aug 17, 2022 11:13 am

You will definitely get your points back. The question is whether they charge you rack rate for those nights.

Kacee Aug 17, 2022 11:31 am

Originally Posted by PG.backpacker (Post 34522727)
You will definitely get your points back. The question is whether they charge you rack rate for those nights.

Exactly. They'll refund your points and charge your credit card per the rate rules.

I've had success either changing dates inside the cancel period or (with good explanation) having properties waive cancel charges. YMMV.

craigthemif Aug 17, 2022 11:32 am

You confirmation email should tell you exactly what the cancellation fee will be. You should get your points back.

Seagull689 Aug 17, 2022 1:23 pm

This is something that’s best to call the hotel directly or the globalist line to call the hotel on your behalf. State you case, especially if it reasonable or an unforeseen event disrupting your travel plans. A human is on the other end of that line answering, and maybe even a really kind hearted understanding human.

apjules Aug 17, 2022 5:48 pm

Update (not that anyone cares). Hyatt said no, so I'm just going to modify my plans and go to the hotel so I dont waste 30K points or 1000 dollars on a hotel I'm not going to go to.

Centurion Aug 17, 2022 6:19 pm

I am 90% sure if you call Globalist line you can get cancel with no point or money penalty

apjules Aug 17, 2022 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 34523867)
You can cancel and get everything back with no penalty. UGH!!!!! Do some research folks

Could you maybe help me out? I have found others who have but it seems and according to Hyatt it's up to the hotel. I submitted multiple requests and all they have told me is no. I dont want to risk cancellation and throw 30k points in the trash and risk getting stuck with a 1k bill which they claim is the cancelation fee.

apjules Aug 17, 2022 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 34523867)
I am 90% sure if you call Globalist line you can get cancel with no point or money penalty

I called the Globalist line yesterday and they said no, but they can submit a request to the hotel. Today I got an official response.

"Unfortunately they will not be able to waive the cancellation penalty if the reservation is canceled"

js1993 Aug 17, 2022 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by apjules (Post 34523798)
Update (not that anyone cares).

We always care. Nothing worse than an OP who leaves us hanging.

Hyatt said no, so I'm just going to modify my plans and go to the hotel so I dont waste 30K points or 1000 dollars on a hotel I'm not going to go to.
It's up the property, unfortunately. Sometimes your Hyatt concierge can work a little magic, but if it's a small or greedy hotel and/or it doesn't believe it can resell the room on short notice, they're liable to decline.

Try not to let it sour your stay.

Centurion Aug 17, 2022 6:56 pm

I am not Globalist and I canceled a French Riviera location 24 prior that had a 7 day cancel policy with no issues.

apjules Aug 17, 2022 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 (Post 34523910)
Try not to let it sour your stay.

Thanks, I'm going to eat way more free breakfast than I normally would out of spite.

apjules Aug 17, 2022 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 34523927)
I am not Globalist and I canceled a French Riviera location 24 prior that had a 7 day cancel policy with no issues.

Ok, this is the Grand Hotel Cocumella in Sorrento Italy, which is a different property who apparently is more stingy.