Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Alila Napa Valley REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Reports when property was managed by Marriott:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-marriott.html

Opens as Alila property 15 March 2021
Category 8
Does not participate in WOH Dining and Spa program (i.e., no points awarded for dining and spa activities)
  • Globalist Breakfast $
    • credit of $35/person per night (for up to 2 persons)
    • This means $70 total for breakfast
  • Electric Vehicle Charging Possible (not just Tesla)
    • The property has Tesla Home Chargers
    • They do have adapters from Tesla proprietary to J1772 which is helpful
  • $25 mini bar credit
  • $65 resort fee plus tax per night, https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...apcal/policies
    • Access to 24 hr Fitness Center with Peloton Bikes
    • Daily Movement Offerings Yoga Classes
    • Premium Internet Service
    • Spa & Pool Day Use Access including towels and water
    • TREK Bicycles available on a first come first served basis
    • Welcome glass of wine
    • Local and toll free calls
    • In-Room Daily Nespresso Coffee Service and Premium Tea Selection
    • Daily Shuttle Service to Downtown St. Helena
    • Nightly turndown service & Locally created custom treat
    • Welcome Gift Reusable Aluminium water bottle Upon Arrival
    • Sound Bath Meditation
    • Shoe shine service upon request
    • Electronic vehicle charging stations (Tesla or Universal)
    • Concierge Itinerary creation Services
    • Access to signature experiences & Exclusive winery partnership access
    • In-House Guest Preferred Spa Treaments Time
    • Boarding Pass Printing
  • Adults only 18+
Print Wikipost

Alila Napa Valley REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Just finished a two day stay on points here (Sun to Tues). Girlfriend is a Globalist (and was thanked for her status at check in). Hotel had low occupancy but all suites were sold. Good experience but I would not pay $900 for it. Booked two queens with vineyard view (only available for points booking) which is higher that their cheapest room in farmhouse. Got upgraded to king with vineyard view on a high floor - best room available at the time of our arrival according to the app. Breakfast was comped - you just order from a short menu and they take it off the final bill. Good food. Grabbed a cheeseburger one evening and it was really (like really) good! Priced at $22 with fries is actually pretty reasonable considering the place. We wanted to go to some vineyards but realized late that everything is per reservation now - concierge was not helpful in getting us in and we just figured stuff ourselves. We did not want housekeeping or turndown.

Overall on (+)
- quality of the hard product and the design
- good toiletries
- quiet if you get the vineyard view (some other rooms can be noisy)
- staff is super nice
- you can get bikes which was fun
- good food in the restaurant

Overall on (-)
- not worth almost 1K (from among luxury hotels we visited during our travels this is the price that we'd be willing to pay for Al Maha and Ritz Kyoto)
- there is still Luxury Collection branding throughout the resort (e.g., on the rocking chairs in rooms)
- property itself is really small with not much to do except for burning your skin by the (small) pool. SPA is still closed. Gym is open but we did not use it.
- St. Helena (Napa) is actually meh for us. First time visitors and unlikely to come back. Except for vineyards and getting drunk there is really not much to do there. There aren't even good trails for running and everything is concentrated around a fairly busy road.
- we hate the valet system (we really don't like when other people drive our car and that they play with seat settings) and there is no option here to self-park. Also the parking is not shaded so every time we got out car it was like a sauna inside

One huge NO, NO - one afternoon when walking back to our room, I found a guest list on the ground (presumably from housekeeping) with quite a lot of detailed information including names, room numbers, arrival and departure information, methods of payment, VIP status, checkout times, occupancy etc. I brought it to front desk and they just thanked me. I personally would be more freaked out (I work with proprietary data a lot) that something like this has been lost.

We chatted casually with the GM - he did not seem to know about the incident above. Feels like a low-key guy which is interesting given the property he manages.

Overall can't complain too much but was also not blown away. I'd expect a wow factor when paying $900 a night. We'd pay up to $500 per night here but definitely not $900 for what we got. Glad we could use the points. Hope this helps.

Last edited by outgoing; May 26, 2021 at 9:42 am
Old May 26, 2021, 9:58 am
Community Director Emerita

We were very happy with our one night stay. I'm a globalist. I'm not sure we were upgraded but I was content with my room. We had a room in a building adjacent to the swimming pool on the ground floor overlooking the vineyard. Anyone who follows me knows that I like space. The large window wall gives a view over the vineyard and gives that sense of space that I like. The outdoor patio had two chairs, a day bed, and a fire pit. Lovely. We arrived quite early and they had a room by 1pm for us to check in. Staff from valet to check in to restaurant at breakfast all hustled and had great attitudes.

59Impala likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Is this hotel worth burning 60k Hyatt points on in January?
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 5:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by louisc
I just burned 60K points in early May for two nights but I also used a Suite Upgrade so that made it incredible, in my opinion.
Old May 27, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Imo, yes, given their $ prices.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by louisc
Really hard to say. Obviously it depends on how many points you have and what you would spend them on as an alternative. Are you saying 60k for a suite or 60k for two nights?

It also depends on what you want to do there. If we (i.e. Californians) are lucky, it will be cold and rainy. If we are unlucky, it will just be cold. This will lend itself more to indoor wine tastings, dressing warmly, and cozying up to the fire pit with a bottle of wine. I've done that there before and it's great, but you have to be OK with relatively lousy weather for it to be worth the points.

As someone pointed out upthread, the price points are inflated... $900 a night is more indicative of the lack of luxury properties in the St Helena/yountville core relative to demand than it is of objective quality. But even at a more appropriate $500 or $600 a night, still a good redemption value.

Last edited by boolean64; May 27, 2021 at 9:45 am
Old May 30, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Just finished an excellent 4 nights stay. I was successful to apply a Globalist suite upgrade to a point reservation, thanks to my concierge, and we were lucky enough to be assigned a vineyard view suite, exactly the same so well describe by BoarderX in post #45.
Very difficult to go wrong with this suite, spacious, peaceful and with great views. We always had breakfast delivered, and took advantage of the oversized terrace facing the vineyard. Quality of food was very good. Service in general was good, with staff super friendly (maid assigned to our room was exceptional), and just a few missteps.
Having said that, there are a few inconsistencies in training. Several friendly employees were new and did not know much about the property. We had poor luck with concierge (luckily I did my dining reservations in advance) as she promised a follow up on winery visits, but she never did follow up.
I also asked about bike trails, she said that they can recommend easy trails nearby, but when I asked a valet to get the bikes, first he said that they did not have any available as they were serviced; Then I pointed out that I saw many of them outside the gym, and he reluctantly give us two, and when I asked about the trails, he said they do not have trails to recommend. Concierge was nowhere to be seen, so I asked front desk. Two people gave me different directions, so I decided to find my way with google maps.
We also had dinner once at Acacia House. Food was very good, with a minor "omission" by the otherwise clever waiter: He explained the specials of the evening, first an appetizer, priced at $22, and then a very elaborated rib eye as main, of which he did not specify the cost. When he came back for the order, I asked how much was the rib eye special, and he started again describing how great and how elaborated it was...without telling me the price...so I asked again, and he finally told me it was $125! Well...
At check out, breakfast charges were canceled without asking, including service charges and tips
Summary: probably with time training will be better, but aside those (minor) glitches we loved our stay, particularly because of the incredible and peaceful suite.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by Troopers
Thanks! And disappointed no Peloton.
The have 2 Peloton bikes now, brand new. One was not even activated. I used the other one, entering my credentials. Unfortunately they both have pedals with cleats, very uncomfortable if you don't have biking shoes. Gym is very spacious, clean and well equipped. I was the only customer the time I went in.
Troopers likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Not Worthy

Originally Posted by nikehair
I'm wondering if I should splurge on this property for my upcoming birthday. I have enough points to cover the stay via Hyatt, as well as points to cover similar stays at the Napa Marriott properties. Another option would be a points + cash booking via Amex, spending exactly $800 + 55k points to trugger $150 off of $800. Would that be a good redemption? Kind of drawn to the St. Helena area due to the wineries around here.
I don’t think this property is worthy. I spent my birthday weekend there, and my Hyatt Concierge (I am a Globalist) even noted in the reservation about the birthday. They did absolutely nothing, not even a simple note to wish a happy birthday. To make matters worst, they sent me to an occupied room! I just couldn’t believe it. They found me another room 15 min later. For a property that demands $1K/night, that is not acceptable. Their excuse was the inexperienced staff. Obviously I will never go back here again.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
can anyone tell me if the JUNIOR SUITE w/vineyard view has a separate toilet?

website shows "Rain shower and soaking tub with separate toilet with second vanity"

thanks
Old May 31, 2021, 2:20 pm

Regular rooms have it so I'd be surprised if suites do not
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:18 am

I made a guest of honor reservation for my aunt and uncle this past weekend at this property. The stay was nice and they were pleased with the stay.

However, they just told me that there were a few groups of families with kids at the property this past weekend. Kids at the pool, kids at acacia. And these were clearly kids under 12. They asked the reception and the staff just shrugged and said those families were given exceptions for the weekend. The kids were apparently were well behaved per my aunt so it was not such a bother, at least to them. But if I were staying there, I would have pressed the issue more.

not going to take this further but I wonder how one would get an exception or did those families just showed up and said we have kids, deal with it.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 12:53 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
I made a guest of honor reservation for my aunt and uncle this past weekend at this property. The stay was nice and they were pleased with the stay.

However, they just told me that there were a few groups of families with kids at the property this past weekend. Kids at the pool, kids at acacia. And these were clearly kids under 12. They asked the reception and the staff just shrugged and said those families were given exceptions for the weekend. The kids were apparently were well behaved per my aunt so it was not such a bother, at least to them. But if I were staying there, I would have pressed the issue more.

not going to take this further but I wonder how one would get an exception or did those families just showed up and said we have kids, deal with it.
Wow ...
We're there for a few nights next month. The issue will definitely be pressed further if there are children at this "Adult Only Hotel"
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
...or did those families just showed up and said we have kids, deal with it.
I'd bet there's a 99.9% chance this is what happened.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingChef
I'd bet there's a 99.9% chance this is what happened.
I agree....something along the lines of "but I didn't know it was an adult resort...what am I suppose to do now?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.