Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Proactive bump from hotel for overbook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proactive bump from hotel for overbook

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:32 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

We do not know how many nights the original reservation is. For Hyatt House, 10,000 can cover one or two nights. This may cover the entire stay.

I believe Hyatt knows what they are doing. It seems they know their own guarantees.....
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Everything else aside, if the move is such an inconvenience, the first move here is to call and play the frequent guest at that hotel/Globalist cards.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RedSun
We do not know how many nights the original reservation is. For Hyatt House, 10,000 can cover one or two nights. This may cover the entire stay.

I believe Hyatt knows what they are doing. It seems they know their own guarantees.....
Original reservation is 3 nights - paid, not points. Hotel is a Cat 4 (15k/night). Was Cat 3 prior to 2019 category changes.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Everything else aside, if the move is such an inconvenience, the first move here is to call and play the frequent guest at that hotel/Globalist cards.
Already sent an email asking why I was chosen to move given age of reservation, Glob status, and frequent guest status. No answer yet.

I really like this hotel. It's a great location for me with easy access to food and the freeway. They also have my preferences down pat, to the point where they know I like specific rooms due to the mattress condition and that I need a bed board installed for my back. I don't feel I'll get the same at the other HH (where I have also stayed multiple times, 22 nights lifetime)
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:55 pm
Suspended

I'd bet you'll end up not being moved. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun

This all depends on who you talk to.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Agree, if this is planned in advance of your arrival, Globalists should not be affected, especially with the nights you have already spent there.
this should only happen to you, if all other guests are Globalists, too, and have more nights than you... highly improbably.. so weird decision making.
lake of a good CRM in that case.
Is there any chance that some group booked the entire hotel and everyone else is being relocated?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I would guess that is highly likely, or that there is a group and overbooking was left on accidentally and the only people they can relocate are the transient guests regardless of status.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Less likely possibility: maybe the hotel has some engineering issue where it's just completely shutting down for a few days? If so, the fact that the OP is getting relocated to another Hyatt and not a different brand would be due to his status there.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Original was also Hyatt house, though the original is a better and more convenient location for my office
I have booked a certain Hyatt House a few times simply because it was in walking distance of an office building I was working in. Would Hyatt pay for a rental car to cover the commute from another property to the office? Or cabs/Uber every day?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
Less likely possibility: maybe the hotel has some engineering issue where it's just completely shutting down for a few days? If so, the fact that the OP is getting relocated to another Hyatt and not a different brand would be due to his status there.
It's possible the two Hyatts are owned or managed by the same company.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I have booked a certain Hyatt House a few times simply because it was in walking distance of an office building I was working in. Would Hyatt pay for a rental car to cover the commute from another property to the office? Or cabs/Uber every day?
Almost no chance, unless you're a high-priority guest or WoH member.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I'm now checked into the replacement hotel. They know nothing about the overbooking at the original hotel. I've emailed two managers at the original hotel and have received no response....
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Sounds fishy.

You didn't try calling? I thought you had more time between your original post here and the check-in date. This seems like a situation for a phone call.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:18 am

As someone who spent over a decade working in hotels, I can say that joe_miami is correct. Where hotels and hotel chains are concerned, relocating a guest a week prior to arrival doesn't qualify as a "walk".

That said, nothing stops an individual hotel from treating an advance relocation the same way as the would a same-day relocation. But, the scenario described here where the rate transfers and the hotel offers up something to make up for the hassle is how most hotels operate.

Personally, I disagree with that viewpoint. But, that's the industry standard.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt has a posted policy; they have to honor it. Whether you want to call it a "walk" or something else is not relevant. If it meets the conditions outlined in the policy then the policy applies.

Having said that, it seems that the policy only applies to pre-paid stays? It talks about pre-paying with a CC, not holding a reservation with a CC.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

What percentage of stays are prepaid? Five percent?

There’s a tendency to lawyer everything to death here at FT.
ryandc99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.