Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

That loud housekeeping bang on the door that startles you awake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

That loud housekeeping bang on the door that startles you awake

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If there's a question about whether the guest has checked out, the employee should ask the front desk, NOT pound on a door with a DND sign. Period.
Originally Posted by BoraYa
If you do not want a loud bang on the door then place a DND on the door! It is quite simple. If you suffer from anxiety then ask the check in agent to leave a note for management that you had arrived at 4 in the am and are on another time zone!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that despite a DND sign, in many hotels housekeepers pound on the door anyway. When one answers and points to the DND sign (still highly visible on the doorknob from the hallway), they just shrug and don't even apologize. It's disgusting and extremely annoying. If this is the hotel policy, the policy should be published rather than the hotel just supplying DND signs *as if* they will be honored by stuff.
Originally Posted by Boofer
Thanks to everyone for the comments. FWIW, no DND sign anywhere in the room that I could find. But even had there been one, I disagree with those who make this my fault. I had told the front desk on check-in at 4am that I was getting some badly needed sleep prior to driving the next day, and that I would be checking out at noon. That is all it should take, period.
This issue is a pet peeve of mine. The hotel has computers. They have the ability to know what rooms have been vacated without disturbing guests. The real issue here is that housekeepers (that are often paid to clean a specific number of rooms each day) want to get them done and get home. I paid to sleep in a hotel room, not to be inconvenienced so a housekeeper can go home earlier. I'm an IHG regular (this isn't a Hyatt-only problem) and I stay at hotels at all price points from HI Express to I-C. Oddly, the higher the price point, the more frequently this happens to me.

Since I work in clubs, I often straggle in to my room at 4am or later. If my check out is noon (or 2pm or whatever if I have requested a late check-out) then I should be left undisturbed until my time is up. Period.
steve64, 59Impala and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
I would just disconnect the phone.
Then, they would send someone to bang on the door

OK, since nobody has brought it up, there could be a potential safety issue here...remember Las Vegas??? So, at some point, the hotel should check the room at least once every 24 hours or so.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A real safety issue? No. A made up one? Sure.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by formeraa

OK, since nobody has brought it up, there could be a potential safety issue here...remember Las Vegas??? So, at some point, the hotel should check the room at least once every 24 hours or so.
Still property and city dependent.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

security theater. Should not be a justification to bang on doors at 8am, 9am or really any time before checkout time. I have been worked up by cleaners banging on doors of other rooms and yelling “housekeeping”. Ridiculous.
iluv2fly and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If the hotel management won't let you sleep, that's when you file a credit card dispute for the hotel not providing the service you were charged for.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:35 pm

Two things....

The Marriott College Park, MD, several times I had late checkout, *AND* a DND sign on the door, and housekeeping tried to enter my room. And other people I know had this happen as well. One woman did not have her door bolted and was dressing as they walked in. Quick knock then they just come in. Don't even give you the opportunity to call out or come to the door.

The Marriott Marquis in DC, one time I had my DND sign on the door (I had forgotten it was on there), and I called to ask that my laundry be sent up. After a while, I received a phone call from the FD. There was someone right outside my door with my laundry. I asked why they didn't knock, and they told me they were not allowed to if there was a DND sign on the door.

Different hotels, different management, different priorities. I only stay at College Park when I have to now.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
My variations on this gripe ...
I hang the DND sign and lock all security locks. AND in follow-up respect, part of my final room departure procedure is to ensure the DND is removed.
I am a late sleeper say 9am and then am typically in the room until 11am-12n. I haven't had a problem with housekeeping banging on the door etc.
But they love to :
  • yell at each other from one end of the hall to the other. All morning long.
  • vacuum at my door. It seems once per hour.
  • Arrive at the door adjacent to my door and ... bang bang "housekeeping" ... bang bang "housekeeping" ... bang bang "housekeeping" ... Repeat in an hour.
  • While vacuuming the room to either side of me, make sure each sweep of the cleaner towards my wall, hits said wall
  • Similar to the above, make loud banging noises in the adjacent bathroom.
  • Find 4 adjacent emptied rooms close to mine, gain access to the rooms and slide the manual security lock of each room so that the door can not close (lock) into the door frame. Then:
    • go into a room with a new shampoo bottle. Open the door fully then release it so that it slams against the security lock as hard as it can.
    • exit the room, following the above described door procedure.
    • repeat the above for the other 3 rooms
      • repeat all of the above for the hair conditioner
      • repeat all of the above for the body lotion
      • repeat all of the above for the bed breakdown
      • repeat all of the above for etc, etc, etc.

I've long ago come up with the conspiracy theory that this (on check-out date) is just an attempt to wake me up so that I will leave.
But I'm usually awake and just working on my laptop and contemplating a visit to the pool. The worst the noise, the later my room departure (all other things being equal). To be fair, I'm an early retiree traveling on my own dime and my own time.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:25 am

I've had this happen even with a DND sign hung on the door. And I've heard the loud housekeeper hallway noise (often). I've assumed this is part of the "plan" to get the guests out of their rooms so the housekeepers can complete their assigned duties and go home early.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's what security locks are for...
Yes! As I have since learned...
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
There's something missing here. This was the morning of checkout, so that's another problem. They can thoroughly clean it at that early hour and the guest could make it totally unkempt again. Not that I'm recommending that. Or against that.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:29 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'm tired all the complains about knocking on door etc. A lot of the properties are located in poorer countries. The workers make low wages. They are college graduates who are more polite and gentle.

This happens to all hotel brands. I've experienced with Ritz, Marriott, Hyatt etc. The workers are friendly and they offered water, shampoo, towel etc. Some even check a couple times a day. It is their job and they tried to make guest happy.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: QF WP/OW Emerald, IHG Spire AMB
Originally Posted by steve64
My variations on this gripe ...
  • Arrive at the door adjacent to my door and ... bang bang "housekeeping" ... bang bang "housekeeping" ... bang bang "housekeeping" ... Repeat in an hour.

This.

Even if I have done everything correctly banging on the door next to mine is just as bad and usually wakes me. Maybe it's time to carry several generic DND signs and just hang them on all rooms around mine each check in
59Impala likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrmaxwell

This.

Even if I have done everything correctly banging on the door next to mine is just as bad and usually wakes me. Maybe it's time to carry several generic DND signs and just hang them on all rooms around mine each check in
Or earplugs.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
I'm tired all the complains about knocking on door etc. A lot of the properties are located in poorer countries. The workers make low wages. They are college graduates who are more polite and gentle.

This happens to all hotel brands. I've experienced with Ritz, Marriott, Hyatt etc. The workers are friendly and they offered water, shampoo, towel etc. Some even check a couple times a day. It is their job and they tried to make guest happy.
Well, this isn't making guests happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.