FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Globalist Count (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1970204-hyatt-globalist-count.html)

alextrips May 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Hyatt Globalist Count

An 2016 Skift article claims 20 million Hyatt loyalty members. Any idea how many there are today? What percentage are globalists? I just made globalist and was wondering how many people actually travel enough to achieve it.

Also, do the hotel and resorts that really take good care of globalists attract an inordinate share of them? The info on this forum seems to suggest that the Andaz Papagayo is great from both a loyalty status and point redemption standpoint, especially as a cat 4. On any given day, do they have a higher percentage of globalists? (I'm sure the corporate bean counters must keep track of such data.)

Headed there soon, guess I will have to find out.

txhyattlvr May 18, 2019 6:18 am

Originally Posted by alextrips (Post 31112999)
An 2016 Skift article claims 20 million Hyatt loyalty members. Any idea how many there are today? What percentage are globalists? I just made globalist and was wondering how many people actually travel enough to achieve it.

Also, do the hotel and resorts that really take good care of globalists attract an inordinate share of them? The info on this forum seems to suggest that the Andaz Papagayo is great from both a loyalty status and point redemption standpoint, especially as a cat 4. On any given day, do they have a higher percentage of globalists? (I'm sure the corporate bean counters must keep track of such data.)

The exact number is a closely guarded secret... but it’s not huge. I’m guessing it’s in the “tens of thousands” but that’s just a guess.

I sometimes inquire as to the number of Globs staying at a hotel when I check in. The normal answer is “about a handful check in per day” at a heavily business oriented Hyatt House i frequent near Downtown Dallas.

I also believe there were less than ten Glob rooms occupied at both the HR San Antonio and Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen on various visits.

Ever since they dumped “Diamond” (and increased stay requirements, mostly ended status matches) the numbers have been very manageable in terms of getting good service, using TSUs, etc.

59Impala May 18, 2019 7:39 am

When I once stayed at a Marriott, they publicly displayed the amount of guests per tier level staying at that specific hotel. I thought that was quite interesting.

txhyattlvr May 18, 2019 7:52 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 31114001)
When I once stayed at a Marriott, they publicly displayed the amount of guests per tier level staying at that specific hotel. I thought that was quite interesting.

And what were those numbers? Oddly, some Hyatt Houses do the same from time to time...

I really think that on a % of rooms filled basis, Marriott has way more "top tier" elites staying at hotels. I base this observation on the fact that buddies who are Marriott Platinum and higher get almost zero upgrades, limited/any recognition, etc... whereas we all know that Globalist treatment, while not perfect, is much much better than that.

59Impala May 18, 2019 8:19 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 31114021)
And what were those numbers? Oddly, some Hyatt Houses do the same from time to time...

I really think that on a % of rooms filled basis, Marriott has way more "top tier" elites staying at hotels. I base this observation on the fact that buddies who are Marriott Platinum and higher get almost zero upgrades, limited/any recognition, etc... whereas we all know that Globalist treatment, while not perfect, is much much better than that.

it was about 8 years ago, can't really remember. The Marriott DFW South. I was Platinum at that time. I think they had 1-2 LT Platinum, about 10 Plats, 10-15 Silver and Gold each. I was surprised by the relatively high amount

txhyattlvr May 18, 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 31114084)
it was about 8 years ago, can't really remember. The Marriott DFW South. I was Platinum at that time. I think they had 1-2 LT Platinum, about 10 Plats, 10-15 Silver and Gold each. I was surprised by the relatively high amount

That doesn’t surprise me at all.... and with all the SPGs added in it explains a lot. As the old saying goes “when everyone’s elite, nobody is...”

Flyertalker1 May 18, 2019 9:23 am

Originally Posted by alextrips (Post 31112999)

I’ll work this the other direction. Assume 20mm total members still today. Probably 80% or 16mm have no status...does not mean they’re inactive.

Chase has 40mm credit card accounts across consumer and business (ink) with 7 co-brands and 3 of which are larger hotels or airlines.

The credit card gives discoverist and from comparable numbers I’ll put that around 3mm for true status + credit card. Explorist might have 200k as this is an odd spot with no lifetime status to keep you here.

I don’t think there’s more than 30k Globalists in total, though.

txhyattlvr May 18, 2019 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Flyertalker1 (Post 31114260)

I’ll work this the other direction. Assume 20mm total members still today. Probably 80% or 16mm have no status...does not mean they’re inactive.

Chase has 40mm credit card accounts across consumer and business (ink) with 7 co-brands and 3 of which are larger hotels or airlines.

The credit card gives discoverist and from comparable numbers I’ll put that around 3mm for true status + credit card. Explorist might have 200k as this is an odd spot with no lifetime status to keep you here.

I don’t think there’s more than 30k Globalists in total, though.

I’m honestly a bit surprised the number hasn’t leaked out... seems like a lot of people from the GM level upwards would know. In case we ever find out my guess is 50-60,000 with a large chunk of those being Glob-lite without Concierge and TSUs. Full Globs is much much less, Im thinking around 20,000 (based on the fairly limited number of known Concierges).

solewalker May 18, 2019 10:08 am

Well, Hyatt just added another 11,000 gifted globalist from the recent tie-up between AA and Hyatt, given that there're ~11,000 AA CKs.

craigthemif May 18, 2019 10:19 am

Another perspective would be taking the % of Flyertalkers compared to the universe of frequent travellers (many of whom actually have better things to do in their spare time than FT...) And there are a LOT of Globalists around here...

txhyattlvr May 18, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by solewalker (Post 31114381)
Well, Hyatt just added another 11,000 gifted globalist from the recent tie-up between AA and Hyatt, given that there're ~11,000 AA CKs.

I was waiting for someone to raise this. The CKs are coveted high $ customers. It’s good business for Hyatt to make a play for them. It’s also highly unlikely that they will make much of a dent in the service legacy globalists receive.... BECAUSE they mostly all have existing loyalty that many won’t give up, they don’t need to stay 60 nights, and TSU availability is quite high (and they only get 2 TSUs). I really don’t think we will see any impact.

VegasGambler May 18, 2019 11:18 am

And none of them were globalist before? I guess that's a good assumption, CKs generally don't travel much...

txhyattlvr May 18, 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 31114549)
And none of them were globalist before? I guess that's a good assumption, CKs generally don't travel much...

Exactly. Or they are super VIPs at Marriott, Hilton, IHG, etc. Hyatt has the capacity to grow the Glob population (especially with all the new properties of late) and NOT dilute benefits. Micro targeting this group is a brilliant idea IMHO.

B767capt May 18, 2019 8:25 pm

we could assume some of these road warriors are already Globalist....:-)

txhyattlvr May 19, 2019 8:19 am

Originally Posted by B767capt (Post 31115633)

we could assume some of these road warriors are already Globalist....:-)

Exactly. Given existing loyalty, I’d bet Hyatt would be ecstatic if they poached 2-3,000 CKs as real customers... that’s still 20-30% of CKs if the reported numbers are accurate but certainly not enough to make any real difference to the rest of us. It’s also not clear that Hyatt plans to give away TSUs to them long term (my bet is they don’t) which will further negate the impact.

But think about the numbers... if the average CK spends say $30-40k per year on hotels then it’s potentially an extra $120m+ per year in high margin revenue!