Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Am I missing something? Hyatt rewards seems very generous?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I missing something? Hyatt rewards seems very generous?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
You mean you guys don't like Hilton's 0.003 average value, or Marriott 0.004 average value? I'm shocked.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by feetsdr
Thanks. We travel for ourselves / pleasure. Not business. Looking for the least expensive but quality property... prefer breakfast included.

We get all our points from credit card spend.

So $5,000 spend on their credit card for most things is 5K points = equiv to 20K on Hilton, which would take 20K/ 3 points per dollar = $6,666 spend. Marriott 20K points would take $10K spend. IHG? that'll take $20K general spend.

I guess it's like when I saw a new sheraton hotel needing 'only' 10K points thought that was an opening deal. Nah, sheraton points were worth 3x marriott points.

Stayed at that hotel a couple times / felt I got burned / over spent my points once I realized my bad math.
I really don't like looking at it like that. If you are using those cards for mostly unbonused spend, you are doing it wrong. You need to look at the bonus categories. This is where the Marriott card comes up woefully short. If you aren't staying a lot at Hyatt's, the Hyatt card really isn't that great. The beauty of Hyatt is the relationship with Chase. You can earn a lot more points on non Hyatt spending with a CSP/CSR, CF, and CFU combination (unless you spend a ton on gym memberships).
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

You are going to like the Hyatt CC once you can get it. That card plus the Hyatt program itself will result in several free nights during the year as you move toward Globalist, which is generally the best top hotel status.

Globalist has a lot of perks including free parking on point stays, quite valuable in cities.

2 status nights per $5000 spend anywhere with Hyatt CC.

As someone mentioned, if Hilton locations work better for you, consider their Aspire card.
If he earn points through credit card spend, I take it to mean he is not staying that many paid nights per year in hotels. He probably won't be able to earn Globalist.
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I love Hyatt, but the small footprint is more problematic than you might think.

It probably depends on how you define Small Town, USA.

Tallahassee is the capital of Florida with probably 300,000 in the metropolitan area. Little Rock, also a capital, with 200,000 people. Mobile has about 200,000 people.

I suspect there are at least half a dozen Marriott properties in each of those cities, but no Hyatts.

I'm no huge fan of CY/RI/TPS/etc., but when I suspect Marriott is in practically every city large than 100,000 people, and for those of us traveling regularly outside of "major" metropolitan areas, it makes Hyatt a a more difficult program.

I don't expect Hyatt to match Marriott's footprint (it would be a different hotel and program if it did), but I'd happily take another 20 Hyatt Places scattered around the country.
The small footprint is most definitely a problem. It is also the reason Hyatt's program is the most generous. The footprint may work well for the person you quoted, but it doesn't for many. One can put down the CY/RI/SHS/TP/FI of the world, but they make up the majority of the Marriott portfolio, and that isn't because most don't want or have no need for those hotels.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I really don't like looking at it like that. If you are using those cards for mostly unbonused spend, you are doing it wrong. You need to look at the bonus categories. This is where the Marriott card comes up woefully short. If you aren't staying a lot at Hyatt's, the Hyatt card really isn't that great. The beauty of Hyatt is the relationship with Chase. You can earn a lot more points on non Hyatt spending with a CSP/CSR, CF, and CFU combination (unless you spend a ton on gym memberships).
I feel like "agree to disagree" on that one. If someone has a business where they spend $200K/year, that's (almost) never going to be bonused spend. And assuming it's a legitimate business, you're never going to screw around with buying gift cards at bonused spend and hope a supplier/merchant accepts 40 x $500 gift cards.

And a lot of the bonus categories cap out (Freedom/Discover/etc have a low level, even the Ink bonuses cap out at ~$50K?). So it is a fair exercise to look at unbonused spend.

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
If he earn points through credit card spend, I take it to mean he is not staying that many paid nights per year in hotels. He probably won't be able to earn Globalist.
The small footprint is most definitely a problem. It is also the reason Hyatt's program is the most generous. The footprint may work well for the person you quoted, but it doesn't for many. One can put down the CY/RI/SHS/TP/FI of the world, but they make up the majority of the Marriott portfolio, and that isn't because most don't want or have no need for those hotels.
I think it's all a question of scale. If (including award/cert nights) you're spending say 30 nights at Hyatt, then you'd only need to spend $75K on the Hyatt card to get to Globalist. At that point MS'ing $75K could definitely be worthwhile, since you'd earn 75K hyatt points, plus the extra milestone benefits (TSU, Cat1-7, Cat1-4). Heck, for a lot of people a single TSU or a single Cat 1-7 could be worth the MS cost.

So for the final analysis, at 75K spend, would you rather:
- Put the spend on Hyatt
Earn the 75K points
+ 30 night credits
+ milestone rewards (whatever those happen to be for you)
- Put the spend on Chase Freedom Unlimited
Earn 112K points

So, are 38K Chase/Hyatt points worth 30 night credits plus your milestone rewards? I think that unless you either aren't going to get to Globalist with the 30 extra night credits, or if you're already going to be going over 80 nights, you should put the spend on Hyatt.

Even if you're going to get to globalist already (60 nights), for every 10 nights (70/80/90) you get an extra 10K points or a TSU. So if you can use the TSU well, that's definitely a better deal. Even if you just take the points, it's really close to a wash

Definitely not saying that it's the right thing for everyone, but just doing some examples to show that it isn't a clear cut "putting your spend on Hyatt isn't worthwhile because you get more value out of other cards".

Last edited by jameswes; Apr 22, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jameswes
I feel like "agree to disagree" on that one. If someone has a business where they spend $200K/year, that's (almost) never going to be bonused spend. And assuming it's a legitimate business, you're never going to screw around with buying gift cards at bonused spend and hope a supplier/merchant accepts 40 x $500 gift cards.

And a lot of the bonus categories cap out (Freedom/Discover/etc have a low level, even the Ink bonuses cap out at ~$50K?). So it is a fair exercise to look at unbonused spend.

I think it's all a question of scale. If (including award/cert nights) you're spending say 30 nights at Hyatt, then you'd only need to spend $75K on the Hyatt card to get to Globalist. At that point MS'ing $75K could definitely be worthwhile, since you'd earn 75K hyatt points, plus the extra milestone benefits (TSU, Cat1-7, Cat1-4). Heck, for a lot of people a single TSU or a single Cat 1-7 could be worth the MS cost.

So for the final analysis, at 75K spend, would you rather:
- Put the spend on Hyatt
Earn the 75K points
+ 30 night credits
+ milestone rewards (whatever those happen to be for you)
- Put the spend on Chase Freedom Unlimited
Earn 112K points

So, are 38K Chase/Hyatt points worth 30 night credits plus your milestone rewards? I think that unless you either aren't going to get to Globalist with the 30 extra night credits, or if you're already going to be going over 80 nights, you should put the spend on Hyatt.

Even if you're going to get to globalist already (60 nights), for every 10 nights (70/80/90) you get an extra 10K points or a TSU. So if you can use the TSU well, that's definitely a better deal. Even if you just take the points, it's really close to a wash

Definitely not saying that it's the right thing for everyone, but just doing some examples to show that it isn't a clear cut "putting your spend on Hyatt isn't worthwhile because you get more value out of other cards".
I will readily admit, we are talking spending sums that I wouldn't even dream about. That said, I still think you would be better off (usually) with a combination of Ink cards with a business (the cap on the Ink Business Preferred is 150k). That said, I guess it all just depends on how many nights you are staying in Hyatt's and how much you value that status.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
This thread was pretty fun to read at how things were in 2019 vs comparing how 'generous' the WOH program is today.

I'll still stand by the statement that it's still doing really well compared to other programs such as Hiltons when it comes to the value. And hopefully this continues!
jameswes and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
This thread was pretty fun to read at how things were in 2019 vs comparing how 'generous' the WOH program is today.

I'll still stand by the statement that it's still doing really well compared to other programs such as Hiltons when it comes to the value. And hopefully this continues!
I think that they are the most generous program out there and it's not close. I constantly redeem at 2+ cents and between the credit card and the seemingly constant promotions the points keep rolling in.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
For sure, now that Hilton and Marriott points are around or heading toward half a cent redemption value each, while Hyatt is typically still 1.5 to 2 cents. Combine that with Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5 points per dollar) -> Chase Sapphire Preferred -> Hyatt, and I typically get essentially 3 to 4% return on my spend (vs. 1 to 1.5 for AmEx to Delta).
Gertjaars likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
There has been some devaluation that are hitting some people more than others, but in some of my basic burn patterns I am getting some steals with off peak rates (some weekend nights at cat1s like HR Wichita, HR Tulsa, and HPs in DFW if I am feeling cheap).

3500 pts for Cat 1s feels practically free. I am staying in a standard suite at 6500 pts soon at HR Tulsa that had cash rates of $250.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I will say that I'm finding it a bit harder to get at least 2 cents a point on some of the redemptions that I have been pricing out. Some are still good - in fact, I'm staying right now on points at 2.5 cents per point, but I've been seeing more and more around 1.5 CPP.

Also, Marriott is no where near half a cent. Even after the dynamic change, I'm still getting at least .8 cents or more as I was before the change.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I will say that I'm finding it a bit harder to get at least 2 cents a point on some of the redemptions that I have been pricing out.
I'm actually finding it easier -- to the point that I'm burning faster than I'm earning and I'm considering raising my minimum above 2c so I don't run out.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by strickerj
For sure, now that Hilton and Marriott points are around or heading toward half a cent redemption value each, while Hyatt is typically still 1.5 to 2 cents. Combine that with Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5 points per dollar) -> Chase Sapphire Preferred -> Hyatt, and I typically get essentially 3 to 4% return on my spend (vs. 1 to 1.5 for AmEx to Delta).
If you're only getting 1-1.5% on Amex you're not even trying though. At a minimum, Everyday Preferred is 1.5x (Blue Business Plus will give 2x on the first 50K spend). And with a Business Platinum card points are worth 1.5 cpp if you fly (using points rebate for economy on your chosen airline or business on any airline). So you should be able to get at least 2.2%.

But I'm still with you, I really like the ease of Chase -> Hyatt, since there's always good redemptions and it's easy to use.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by jameswes
If you're only getting 1-1.5% on Amex you're not even trying though. At a minimum, Everyday Preferred is 1.5x (Blue Business Plus will give 2x on the first 50K spend). And with a Business Platinum card points are worth 1.5 cpp if you fly (using points rebate for economy on your chosen airline or business on any airline). So you should be able to get at least 2.2%.

But I'm still with you, I really like the ease of Chase -> Hyatt, since there's always good redemptions and it's easy to use.
I wouldn't typically get enough transactions in a month to get the 50% bonus with EDP, but I would get enough for the 20% on the standard ED. So in that case, it'd be 1.2%, not 1. And I know I haven't really been maximizing my Delta miles, but I'm not expecting any overseas trips in the next few years, and I'd rather not wait for too many more devaluations. I guess a good hotel transfer partner makes more sense for me since I'll always need a hotel when I travel, whereas I don't always take a long flight in first class where the award redemptions tend to be most lucrative.

I was mistaken on the Marriott valuation too; I was thinking 0.7 or so when I said "around half a cent", but it's really more like 0.8 to 1.0. Of course, AmEx points transfer to Hilton at a 1:2 ratio, so it's a wash with Hilton's lower point values.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Also, Marriott is no where near half a cent. Even after the dynamic change, I'm still getting at least .8 cents or more as I was before the change.
Enjoy that while it lasts, as variable pricing will expand to the remaining 97% of properties in 2023
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.