Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Serious Privacy violation at Grand Hyatt Jakarta - What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serious Privacy violation at Grand Hyatt Jakarta - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Anyone who has access to customer information has an obligation to keep it private.

When someone calls and asks a question like that, the only acceptable answer is "I'm sorry, we don't give out that information".

That is just standard. It has nothing to do with high expectations.
In a perfect world this would indeed be the case. But we are talking about something else here. The OP wants the front desk staff to shield him from a very particular person who seems to be after him for some reason. If this is serious, call the police and et them handle it. If it is not, and it's some personal issue, then you can't expect a hotel to be an impenetrable wall. The person after him is probably intelligent enough to phrase a question to fool even a native speaker. "Could you let Mr X know that I'm running twenty minutes late," would have even the reception at the Pierre in NY saying "of course, thank you very much."
smitty06 and Franky16 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
This property has never been great at service recovery. As a top tier member at the time, there were roaches on the food in the lounge, in two different years. Once on my plate, the other time just on the serving platters with food. Both times there was minimal response from the club manager and none from any higher ups. I didn’t make a big deal out of it, but incidents like these are reasons I no longer stay there.

$135 a night is quite the rate at this property.

Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by LondonElite
In a perfect world this would indeed be the case. But we are talking about something else here. The OP wants the front desk staff to shield him from a very particular person who seems to be after him for some reason. If this is serious, call the police and et them handle it. If it is not, and it's some personal issue, then you can't expect a hotel to be an impenetrable wall.
I’m sorry, the police don’t really work like that in Indonesia.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

I’m sorry, the police don’t really work like that in Indonesia.
I don't think Indonesia is particularly different from Thailand, where I lived for many years, in this respect. There certainly are ways to get the police involved. It's not quite as straightforward as it is in Duluth, but it can be done. I fear we are getting off track, though.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Would a certain number of points somehow cause you to trust this hotel in the future? If you're willing to accept points and continue staying at the hotel, this stressful nuisance isn't a big deal. If it's really a huge problem (and it sounds like it is to you), there should be no compensation that will give you the security of staying in the GH again.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a perfect world this would indeed be the case. But we are talking about something else here. The OP wants the front desk staff to shield him from a very particular person who seems to be after him for some reason. If this is serious, call the police and et them handle it. If it is not, and it's some personal issue, then you can't expect a hotel to be an impenetrable wall. The person after him is probably intelligent enough to phrase a question to fool even a native speaker. "Could you let Mr X know that I'm running twenty minutes late," would have even the reception at the Pierre in NY saying "of course, thank you very much."
No, the OP wants them not to give out information about the guests. Which should be SOP at any hotel. Nothing more is being suggested.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:26 am
Original Poster

I don't think Indonesia is particularly different from Thailand, where I lived for many years, in this respect. There certainly are ways to get the police involved. It's not quite as straightforward as it is in Duluth, but it can be done. I fear we are getting off track, though.
Yes, a bit off-track. It doesn't matter if the individual I am avoiding is a debt collector, a scornful ex, a mafia hitman, or a missionary trying to save my soul. I'm not asking the hotel to protect me from that individual, but to keep my stay their private. No one would find it acceptable if the hotel published a guest list with check-in and check-out on their website, so I'm surprised at anyone who thinks it's ok for the hotel to give away the information. Especially since this happened previously at the same property and they told me I would perpetually be marked "private" so that no one could inquire about me staying.

I've contacted my Hyatt Globalist concierge, and left feedback on the general Hyatt site asking someone to contact me. I don't really want to stay there anymore, so the more I think about it I think points or a free night at a different Hyatt property is appropriate. I like the brand, I just can't trust that location now. I'll also email everyone who's spoken with me from that site and ask for the GM's contact information.

I am eagerly awaiting the Park Hyatt's opening. That particular location in Menteng though looks like it may be a nightmare for traffic. I guess I'll see.

The Keraton was also mentioned above, and interestingly my local friend told me it's very well known for its discretion and that the rich take their mistresses there. I used to stay there, but they removed a lot of their soft benefits after the Marriott merger. (Previously it offered 7am checkins and 9pm checkouts, as a standard, among other things)
wrp96, Mauibaby2008 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No, the OP wants them not to give out information about the guests. Which should be SOP at any hotel. Nothing more is being suggested.
Yes, it should be that way but clearly isn't. There should not have been any icebergs in Titanic's path. But there were. I would have no confidence that this hotel is going provide the sort of stealth mode the OP should have every right to expect.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
Would a certain number of points somehow cause you to trust this hotel in the future? If you're willing to accept points and continue staying at the hotel, this stressful nuisance isn't a big deal. If it's really a huge problem (and it sounds like it is to you), there should be no compensation that will give you the security of staying in the GH again.
If they could somehow demonstrate to me in person the system that was supposed to stop this, and show me how it should work in the future, and explain why the process failed last time and why it won't happen again, I would be happy with that. I've designed controls and systems like this myself. Show me what you have, tell me why it didn't work, and convince me how you're going to fix it. Plus, a discount or points.

Otherwise (and this is what i suspect is going to happen), I won't stay at this property anymore and it will be up to the Hyatt in general to give me points or a night at a comparable property to keep me loyal to the brand. Of course, it will be painful for both the Hyatt and myself to switch loyalties, so I really don't want to do that. 85-100 nights a year is a lot of money for them (most of it at much more expensive properties in HK or SH), and it's also a lot of time for me to build back up my status elsewhere.
GK8 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xinmpg
No one would find it acceptable if the hotel published a guest list with check-in and check-out on their website, so I'm surprised at anyone who thinks it's ok for the hotel to give away the information. Especially since this happened previously at the same property and they told me I would perpetually be marked "private" so that no one could inquire about me staying.
As my previous post hopefully makes clear, I agree with you but I would have no confidence in this actually being applied.
bbbb, EuropeanPete and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Yes, it should be that way but clearly isn't. There should not have been any icebergs in Titanic's path. But there were. I would have no confidence that this hotel is going provide the sort of stealth mode the OP should have every right to expect.
Yeah, it seems so. But many other hotels have this built into their guest management system, and this hotel specifically told me it was enabled for me. Thats why I'm pushing them. I want to know why it didn't work, and some type of fair compensation.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:26 am

The hotel may have tried to reply ambiguously but politely, eg 'we'll pass along any message' which does not mean there was anyone to pass it to. Your stalker was just lucky.

if you can afford it hire a security firm to watch your back, not just at hotel but everywhere.
YuropFlyer and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by xinmpg
Well, thats a bit my point. It happened before, and I asked them what they could do so it wouldn't happen again. They offered to mark my profile as "private" so people couldn't just call and ask if i was there. But, they ignored it this last visit when i was there and someone did call.

This is a standard hotel offering, and something they said they did for me. It's not that I'm asking the hotel to help me avoid a specific person, but that I want my privacy respected where I'm staying. Do you think celebrities and such that travel allow random people to call the hotel and ask if they're there? Or, should hotel guest registries be public?

I'm just asking what the opinion is of this group (frequent travelers) when a hotel I've invested significantly in (Diamond/Globalist for years) gives me a problem like this. Who to raise it to: Corporate, the membership program, just ..... on every public review sites, etc.
Perhaps you should have asked them to move you to another equivalent hotel and still credit your nights and points as if you had stayed would be a start.
MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is all a matter of training and it is easily accomplished. Whether the FD personnel are highly-paid or not may be a function of their status in the operation of the property, but the manner in which incoming calls is handled should be the subject of a simple template. E.g., "I will pass on your message." Questions about arrival, departure, and even confirming other information should simply be politely declined, "e.g., I am sorry, but I cannot provide that information to you."

Having said that, if one is in an uncomfortable situation (and it appears that OP had a specific situation in mind), it really pays to cover this with a manager at check-in.

The bottom line here is that the best approach here is to complain to corporate, take whatever it is that they toss your way and stay elsewhere.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A method used to try to increase privacy includes having someone else book the room in their name for check-in purpose and doing the bulk of the check-in formalities for the room/additional room being used by a guest who will occupy the room but doesn't want it so easily discovered when/if they are scheduled to check-in and out at a given property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.