Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Why I believe World of Hyatt could be the new FFP of an airline or two

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:24 am
Original Poster

I think it's good for airlines, as it could allow for those who add their World of Hyatt membership number to their bookings to automatically get a Hyatt property at their destinations. Anyway, here are the airlines that could share a membership program (loyalty program in terms of hotels, and FFP in terms of airlines):
  1. Delta Air Lines (could replace the aging SkyMiles FFP)
  2. Air France (could be its secondary FFP alongside Flying Blue)
  3. Korean Air (could replace Skypass as its FFP)
  4. Vietnam Airlines (could be its secondary FFP alongside LotusMiles)
  5. Garuda Indonesia (could be its secondary FFP alongside Garuda Miles)
  6. Virgin Atlantic (could replace Flying Club as its FFP)
  7. China Southern (could be its secondary FFP alongside Sky Pearl Club)
  8. Air Transat (could be its new FFP)
  9. Aer Lingus (could replace AerClub as its FFP)
  10. Loganair (could be its secondary FFP alongside Clan Loganair)
  11. Etihad Airways (could replace Etihad Guest as its FFP - and who knows? It may be profitable again just by switching to World of Hyatt!)
In addition, there could be some benefits for World of Hyatt members who fly with the above airlines:
  1. Exclusive business class lounge access for members at its possible SkyTeam Elite tier, Discoverist
  2. Exclusive business and first class lounge access for members at its possible SkyTeam Elite Plus tiers, Explorist and Globalist
  3. Seat upgrades up to the highest class possible for members at its possible second SkyTeam Elite Plus tier, Globalist (if available)
  4. Free extra-miles award for all World of Hyatt members if they have flown 5 of the 11 airlines that could participate in this program

-Emily

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 10, 2019 at 11:40 am Reason: Removed personal information
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:50 am

Interesting idea.... unfortunately it doesn’t make any business sense.

The airlines, in particular, make extra money from their programs by selling points/miles (to banks and other) and through other streams. They aren’t going to give that up.

American loses money flying planes. They derive profits from their credit card deals and associated frequent flyer program. Google it ;-)
nancypants and nexusCFX like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
American loses money flying planes. They derive profits from their credit card deals and associated frequent flyer program.
Airlines get most of their profits from cargo.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Airlines get most of their profits from cargo.
Not at American:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-last-quarter/
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This makes no sense to me at all. I don’t even know where to start.
craigthemif and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This makes no sense to me at all. I don’t even know where to start.
She's a kid with an idea. How about offering constructive feedback rather than blanket criticism?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
She's a kid with an idea. How about offering constructive feedback rather than blanket criticism?
If it's truly a 15 year old girl, I can appreciate the interest in flyertalk and miles. There were lots of things I wish I had known at a younger age, and I'm sure some of my family vacations could have been greatly improved with the knowledge I have now.

But the idea of airlines adopting hotel loyalty programs would never work for countless reasons so she should 100% focus on something else. There was also a similar thread in the Marriott forum, which is why I'm skeptical this is even a 15 year old girl. What 15 year old girl has knowledge of (and interest) in two US-based hotel loyalty programs and 10+ airline loyalty programs?

People could discuss and debate 100 different reasons why this would never work, but that's probably less constructive than nicely shutting this down from the beginning.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What 15 year old signs their message with "age 15"? I have a vague recollection of being a teenager many many years ago and it seems off.

But then I'm a curmudgeon beyond my years so I'm skeptical of everything.
nancypants, lkrt and antonius66 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Sorry, but this is a flawed "analysis". Gary has an agenda that is not served by reading the facts. But we're veering off topic now.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What 15 year old signs their message with "age 15"?
What adult would sign their message with “age 15”? I am an adult and I don’t.

I have no problems believing that the OP is a young Flyertalker and is trying to let us know so we are perhaps a bit less “curmudgeoness” than usual . She wouldn’t be the first teenager. Remember Luckycoins, or did he leave FT before you arrived?

soartoday likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Emily - an airline loyalty program generally has two parts - the mileage earning part and the elite status part. It isn’t inconceivable that an airline would spin off the mileage part. It’s happened before - with Air Canada (though they recently reversed course).

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/air...iple-programs/

i can’t think of a reason why they wouldn’t want to keep the elite program in-house as they generally want to reward their own best customers with elite benefits . And I am not sure that Hyatt would be a logical choice for running the points part for airlines. Maybe Chase with its existing Ultimate Rewards program would be a more likely choice for its transfer partners?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
What adult would sign their message with “age 15”? I am an adult and I don’t.
I'm not sure how tongue in cheek that is meant to be but that post is awesome.

notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sorry, but this is a flawed "analysis". Gary has an agenda that is not served by reading the facts. But we're veering off topic now.
the main flaw seems to be that he doesn't count miles spent on AA redemptions as money from flying passengers, which is ridiculous.

If AA sells Citi 57.5k miles at whatever rate they sell them at (say, $400), Citi gives them to me for credit card activity, and I use those miles to fly SFO-LHR on AA in business class, AA is not flying me there for free. They are flying me there for $400.

FWIW, I don't think that this is off topic. It's exactly why this is such a terrible idea for the major airlines. They do not want to give up this secondary way of selling tickets (essentially, using awards to get revenue for space that might otherwise go unfilled).

Last edited by VegasGambler; Mar 9, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:22 pm

mahasamatman

What flawed urinalysis? Gary is talking about data that is readily available. I think his analysis is spot on. YMMV
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
FWIW, I don't think that this is off topic. It's exactly why this is such a terrible idea for the major airlines. They do not want to give up this secondary way of selling tickets (essentially, using awards to get revenue for space that might otherwise go unfilled).
Well, they could still do that even if the mileage part of the loyalty program is operated by someone else. Think Air Canada/Aeroplan/Aimia. There would just be a middle man (Hyatt in the OP's proposal) collecting the fees from various merchants/banks for the Hyatt points and then buying deeply discounted award tickets on the airline that no longer is running their own program.

Note that I am not saying that this is necessarily better than the current scheme (I am not a great fan of clever corporate merger/spin-off schemes that all seem to go back and forth like the tide... again, see Air Canada), but it was certainly hyped by many as a way to unlock hidden value on airlines' balance sheet (spin-off of loyalty programs) about maybe a decade ago. Just google "loyalty program spin-off unlock hidden value".

What I would like to hear more about from the OP is -- why Hyatt? (since we are here in the Hyatt forum)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.