Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Barcelona Tower REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:59 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

The Hyatt Regency Brand coming to Barcelona in Q4/2019.

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=123802

CHICAGO (March 4, 2019) Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) has announced today that a Hyatt affiliate has entered into franchise agreements with an affiliate of Hesperia Hotels & Resorts to open Hyatt Regency Hesperia Madrid and Hyatt Regency Barcelona Fira. The hotels mark the entry of the Hyatt Regency brand into Spain and signify Hyatt’s continued growth in the country.

Both hotels will undergo significant renovations and will be available on Hyatt’s booking system as Hyatt affiliated hotels beginning June 2019. The properties, Hesperia Madrid Hotel and Hesperia Barcelona Tower, are scheduled to be fully rebranded by Q4 2019. This will bring the total number of Hyatt branded hotels in Spain to five, joining Park Hyatt Mallorca, Hyatt Centric Gran Via Madrid and the recently announced Hotel Sofia Barcelona.

Hyatt Regency Barcelona Fira will be a 280-room hotel located on the Avinguda de la Granvia. In close proximity to the Barcelona–El Prat Airport, guests will benefit from being close to both the financial center and shopping outlets. The hotel features a top-floor bar overlooking Barcelona’s skyline. Along with a variety of meeting rooms, the sky bar will offer a unique space for meetings and events offering a personalized, high-touch experience for meeting planners and attendees. Other features include an energized lobby, unique food and beverage facilities and a club lounge.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Considering a stay at the Hesperia Barcelona hotel in mid-August. Any idea what Globalist benefits to expect? Equivalent to Hyatt Regency benefits, or would that only start after the renaming to HR happens in Q4?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone stayed here yet? There's currently an obscure award sale at this property, where they rebate you 3000 points per night on the 12,000 redemption. There's a Regency lounge, and the limited reports on tripadvisor are good. I'm concerned about the location, but it seems like there is some plausible Metro service into the city center. I'm also thinking of staying here before a late morning flight out of BCN T1, when I'll have a car to return. I'm somewhat familiar with the area, and I suspect I can park the car for free on the nearby streets. My experience with the BCN airport is that it's oddly time-consuming -- lines for security and then border control (the foreigner line is slow) so I think I want to be fairly close to the airport before that flight.

At 9000 points with lounge access, this hotel seems like a steal compared to my Barcelona alternatives, even if the location is subpar.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Has anyone stayed here yet? There's currently an obscure award sale at this property, where they rebate you 3000 points per night on the 12,000 redemption. There's a Regency lounge, and the limited reports on tripadvisor are good. I'm concerned about the location, but it seems like there is some plausible Metro service into the city center. I'm also thinking of staying here before a late morning flight out of BCN T1, when I'll have a car to return. I'm somewhat familiar with the area, and I suspect I can park the car for free on the nearby streets. My experience with the BCN airport is that it's oddly time-consuming -- lines for security and then border control (the foreigner line is slow) so I think I want to be fairly close to the airport before that flight.

At 9000 points with lounge access, this hotel seems like a steal compared to my Barcelona alternatives, even if the location is subpar.

Are you a Globalist or an Explorist using a free club access award or why you think the club would be included? 9000 Points indeed is a fair deal. Also if you are going for one further hotel for the brand explorer challenge. This hotel wasn't opened as Hyatt Regency Barcelona Fira as previously announced back in March. It became a normal Hyatt hotel with the name Hotel Hesperia Barcelona Tower. So it will be one of the 7 Hyatt properties outside the US and please be informed, that there are only 17 worldwide. So I recommend to ge the catch, also if it's just one night for the brand explorer.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pillow25
I had a one night Guest of Honor award stay here (9/14 - 9/15); overall, it was a good stay, and I would definitely consider returning.

Accessibility:
Getting to the hotel is no problem - from Barajas airport, take the Metro line 8 to Nuevos Ministerios and then transfer to Metro line 10 to Gregorio Manaron (1 stop). The hotel is almost directly above Gregorio Manaron (~200 m walk).
will be staying here and found out the metro info posted above is not correct. Is actually the last L1 stop Hospital de Bellviitge.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mixed feeling about this hotel after having spent a few nights here on two different occasions. Biggest problem is the location. The neighborhood is essentially a zero, so there's nothing to walk to. From the airport, you can take the 46 bus which is pretty convenient and cheap. Go first to the Tabac kiosk outside to buy a shareable T10 ticket for 10 public transport rides in Barcelona. The cost is 10.20 euros -- less than half that of individual tickets. Get off at the hospital across the street from the hotel and walk under the underpass. Easy.

You'll need that T10 ticket to get into Barcelona on the metro. The station is very close to the hotel, across the roundabout and through a parking lot (get pointed in the right direction by the doorman). It's an easy but long ride into the heart of Barcelona. About 30 minutes to get anywhere.

The hotel itself is very ugly outside but nice and stylish inside.

As an Explorist using a lounge pass and using the 9000 point introductory promo, the upsides were greater than the location downsides. The executive lounge is nice -- open all day, with liquor -- but the food offerings can feel disappointing. If you show up before 8 am, you can eat breakfast in the main restaurant as the lounge is technically closed. I recommend this, as the breakfast restaurant is excellent. After 8, they apparently will bring you hot dishes for free to the lounge. I didn't try this. You'll want a hearty breakfast because one of the great wonders of Spain is a cheap but elaborate "menu del dia" usually eaten around 2 pm. Stuffed from that, we returned to the hotel around 7 or 8 pm and hoped to get some tapas at the lounge. Sadly, the pickings are few -- a couple of modest offerings served on spoons and some bad finger sandwiches and bar snacks -- but some nights are better than others.

Without status, I probably would not stay at this hotel and would find something more centrally located in Barcelona. That said, if you are doing a driving trip in Spain and will have a flight out the next morning, the hotel can work well for the airport (leave early, as departure processing is slow at the airport for non EU citizens). Parking is expensive (something like 22 euros) but we were successful in simply asking the front desk manager to comp it for us. There is some free street parking, but it looks a bit dodgy. BTW, if you want to pick up a rental car, you'll have to head into the city on the metro to do so or head back to the airport -- no nearby car rental offices.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Just spent 1 night here and have same feeling as post #11 . Very helpful staff. The GM came out to greet us and the only other time I recall this happening was in Hangzhou. Was upgraded to 2 br suite. Rooms r fine but dated. The lounge had limited food. But if u like booze this is the place for u. A small shopping center across the street to buy food or groceries. Uber does not serve Barcelone. So taxi was 24 euros for us to airport (less than 15 mins). I understand minimum charge to airport is 20 euros. Metro to city center is about 35 mins. Not sure if I would stay here if I visit Barcelona in the future. I only stayed this time because of early flight.
I got greeted by the front desk manager, too. A nice gesture. But how did you get a suite? Are you a Globalist?

In reading the tripadvisor reviews, I noticed that everyone seems "afraid" to take the bus from the airport. I guess it feels more confusing than the Metro -- which, sadly, doesn't run from this hotel to the airport (it's the last stop on the line to the city center, however). But the airport bus line is pretty darn easy and quick, and you can use the cheap T10 ticket that you'll use on the Metro -- and which you'll need if you're headed into Barcelona at all.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:57 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
The moderators have cleaned up the 2 threads on Hesperia Madrid and Barcelona. Thank you!

Here is the Madrid thread: Hyatt Regency Hesperia Madrid REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:27 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Mods: it’s Hesperia, not Hespira.

khabah
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

As a Hyatt Elite, stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and really a great property.
We stayed in two duplex suites and that is one of the main reasons we chose this hotel as we never had a duplex hotel despite staying in many huge suites.
The living room is downstairs with a half bath and the bedroom is upstairs.
Only complaint with this set up is the hassle to take large bags up the stairs. We left bags downstairs.
There is also Jacuzzi tub right next to the bed with large open windows. The city views are very nice.
Rain shower and body jets in the shower.

The staff is amazing. Everyone goes to extreme to help. The check in was friendly and excited to see us in the middle of the night.
The club lounge host helped with tickets without even asking.
When asked for metro directions, he walked with us until the station which is just a block away to show the place.
Breakfast is very nice array and good set up and again same friendly staff everywhere.
The location is closer to airport and need to take metro or taxi to city attractions. Nothing around this place.
The club lounge is spacious and very empty. Went there only once during evening but not many eating options there but definitely a place for drinks and few day time snacks if you stay on property.
The lobby is chick and I liked the giant screen and the glass floor.

If not staying within the city at walkable distance in any other property, this is definitely a great place to stay at much less cost.
The hotel and suites have contemporary design.

Here is a video of the suite.

atlion25 likes this.

Last edited by kcdude; Dec 8, 2019 at 6:37 am Reason: added video
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:15 pm

Thank you for your review. Is the breakfast a lounge breakfast? I think I will give this place a try next time. I stayed at the Sofia a few weeks ago and didn't enjoy my stay, even as a globalist.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Thank you for your review. Is the breakfast a lounge breakfast? I think I will give this place a try next time. I stayed at the Sofia a few weeks ago and didn't enjoy my stay, even as a globalist.
See my experience above where I was told that to get the full restaurant breakfast I had to show up by 8 am. Otherwise, you have to eat in the lounge, where the food is sparse. I was told that they could bring you some hot dishes to the lounge, but I didn't try it to find out -- the restaurant breakfast is excellent.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Some pics from my Oct visit of the lounge. Mostly empty and not many food options (almost zero). Lots of fruits, snacks, and Booz.

cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the lounge photos. This looks like a much much much nicer lounge than the one at Sofia where you have to be in a specific room type to have access. This looks more welcoming and at least you can grab drinks when you want. More comfortable seats. The one at the Sofia, you're watched like a hawk. It's stuffy and uncomfortable - just you and the person working. It is very awkward. You can also only get drinks by asking. They have light snacks, but it's not much better. I would choose this over the Sofia if I find myself back in Barcelona in the future. The suite you get at the Sofia doesn't compare to the this - just one room (not even a junior suite layout). Their breakfast is also underwhelming.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those lounge photos definitely capture the situation. Physically, it's a very nice lounge. There are reasonable beverages. But there's basically no food. Maybe Hyatt will introduce real food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.