Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bali REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Bali REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A 60min Balinese Massage costs 900k IDR plus 21% (10% Service I+11% tax). Definitely not cheap and not our preferred choice, but even then when we were trying to book an appointment over a weekend slots were very limited so they must be able to get those prices easily.

For comparison, the IC Bali Spa charges ~650k IDR for the same plus 21%.
sch_flyer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
900k++ is pretty ridiculous for Sanur. While I know it’s a hotel and it’s marked up, anything above 600k is too much.

I’ve seen lots of shops with massage services in that area for under 200k per hour. As I live in Indonesia part of the year, I pay 160-190k for 2 hours of great deep massage, and they come to your hotel or house in Jakarta or Bandung. I need to see if there is a similar great service in Sanur.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by demue
A 60min Balinese Massage costs 900k IDR plus 21% (10% Service I+11% tax). Definitely not cheap and not our preferred choice, but even then when we were trying to book an appointment over a weekend slots were very limited so they must be able to get those prices easily.

For comparison, the IC Bali Spa charges ~650k IDR for the same plus 21%.
So, about $80 out the door for an hour massage. Definitely not cheap, but not outrageous by western standards. Any recommendations for a nice day spa in the vicinity? We were looking at Lluvia Spa in Seminyak that has packages on Klook for a fraction of HR cost, transportation included.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Klook or Traveloka will have decent offers / packages. Have a look
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
We just returned from another fantastic stay here (the last one being pre-renovated hotel 6 years ago). The Hyatt or Sanur didn’t seem to have changed much at all which is a good thing.

Our Regency Suite was on the 3rd floor (3321) facing the ocean at the far end of the hotel. This suite probably has the best view for a Regency Suite but it is also right next to the Andaz construction site. The good news is that the construction noise didn’t bother us one bit. The noise is there but the soundproofing is good and they are more in the “small tools” phase of the construction so it really wasn’t bad. They do work late into the night and the noise is prevalent but not bothersome.

Compared to 6 years ago, I have to say that everything is pretty much the way it was then. The suite was updated very tastefully with local touches throughout. Comfy bed with nice linens. Power outlets in right places. 65in TVs with good selection of channels. Toto toilet seats with ghetto spray system but that works well. Water bottles replenished daily. I don’t know why but somehow the beach felt cleaner and wider this time around. I believe Hyatt sits on the best piece of property in Sanur (the Andaz might be nicer when completed but its beach would be a lot narrower). The gardens are as beautiful as they were. The staff as nice as they were. The Regency Club and its staff are fantastic. The food and drink choices are excellent and while we got over out jetlag, our dinner was pretty much satisfied there with some noodles, sate, quesadilla, hummus, fruits, desserts, etc.

The main pool gets the most action but even though the hotel was at full capacity, it never felt crowded (except one morning when the Chinese group invaded the pool/beach area for an extended photoshoot session). The grounds are beautiful and zen-like.

My go to massage place is Suar which provides excellent traditional massage (the best ones are the older aunties) for only 70K IDR ($5) for 60 min. There is then more upscale Nest Beachside Spa. This is an excellent choice although it is almost triple the price of that of Suar. The Nest Signature Massage (90 min) for 320K IDR ($23) was my favorite massage of the trip. The hotel’s spa facilities look great (the gym is located within) but the price is up there so we never tried it. The Nest books up quickly so it’s best to book early.

The hotel food is good and reasonable. The beachside restaurants are pretty good and our favorite was Lilla Pantai. It seems like only 3 restaurants are getting customers and the rest are pretty much deserted. The best lunch spot was Warung Kecil. My favorite meal early lunch was at Warung Mak Beng. It’s about 20 minute bicycle ride down the beach path but well worth it for their only menu items, fish soup and fried fish with the best sambal. The hotel has bicycles to rent (60K IDR an hour) but you can also rent one from outside for much cheaper. There is a rack by the beach to park/lock the bicycle.

Don’t go to the money exchanger by Warung Kecil. His rate was better but I caught him trying to scam me by dropping a bill under the table. Go to the official exchanges or the bank in the hotel. After reading about the air quality situation above, I tried to pay attention. I did notice smell of fumes one morning but it wasn’t that bothersome to me and the air still looked clean but there is validity for health concerns I suppose. I saw an official burning area by Pantai Karang which appears to be the source. We were lucky with the weather for the 10 day trip with not a drop of rain. Days were warm and nights breezy. There were constant breeze this time (similar to Aruba).

I really like the Hyatt and Sanur area as you get all the luxuries of staying in a nice beachside hotel but you can still enjoy the local restaurants/shops, etc. just outside the hotel.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the previous tip about Suar, yoonny. I went there 3 times and got the same person each time. She was well trained by the end! I will say I'm not a fan of Balinese massage, at least the one there and the one from a few years ago. I feel nothing. I basically paid for the Balinese massage but had her get rid of all the Balinese aspects, LOL. The "Suar Special" (or whatever it's called) which is $1-2 more gets my vote - it's like a combined Thai/Balinese style with more pressure.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
We arrive next Thursday for 4 days then on to Ubud. First time to Bali for us (+ wife and two teenage daughters). Is there anything we should for sure do/see in Sanur while we are there? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidsc111
We arrive next Thursday for 4 days then on to Ubud. First time to Bali for us (+ wife and two teenage daughters). Is there anything we should for sure do/see in Sanur while we are there? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sanur is a bit calmer than the more touristy Kuta and Seminyak. While there may be a bit of a party scene, it’s not as wild.

If I had my two teenage girls, I’d talk to them about Indonesia’s death penalty for illegal drugs. Each year teenagers get jailed for long periods for something as silly as a joint or two. Even if they buy it there, or someone gives it to them. I’d stay totally away from it.

There is a booming trade in bootleg alcohol in parts of Indonesia. Some is quite deadly. Bottled beer and similar are usually safe.

Bali is a huge tourist destination for Australians. I always say I have to watch out for the drunk Aussie’s more than anything else when I’m there. The Balinese community is very friendly, but still be careful bringing valuable on the beach.

I love the Italian restaurant Massimo’s just down the street. A huge variety of food, plus a Gelato stand out front. There are lots of other places to eat nearby. Lots of souveneir shops. If you want to buy nice wooden items you can stop at a legit place while going to Ubud. Prices may be 1/2 to 1/4 the touristy places.

Bali is pretty safe, but it’s not the Western world, so use common sense.
sch_flyer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Bali is pretty safe, but it’s not the Western world, so use common sense.
thx! we're getting excited!
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thx! we're getting excited!
Have fun! Ubud is pretty nice, too. We’ll be in Sanur a few days after you leave.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Heading to HR Bali tonight - appreciate all of the helpful comments on this thread! We will definitely be using spa and restaurants suggestions.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
The "Suar Special" (or whatever it's called) which is $1-2 more gets my vote - it's like a combined Thai/Balinese style with more pressure.
That one is too painful for me!

I would say go see the sunrise from Pantai Karang (just a few minutes up the beach path). There are lots of photographers there in the morning.
Sindhu Night Market has cheap food stalls from around 6pm. Martabak is a must.
Massimo for gelato.

Some info:
The water sports activities by the beach (I think all run by Surya) can be discounted by more than 50% off the listed prices. 15 min jet ski for 200K - 250K IDR. Parasailing for 200K IDR. We chartered a traditional boat for 3 - 4 hours for fishing/snorkeling for 900K IDR. The snorkeling is actually really good only a few minutes out (it's where sea walkers is set up).
We used Golden Bird taxi service from airport to the hotel (they have a desk as you walk out of the baggage area) for 230K IDR.
From hotel to the airport, we just asked hotel to call Blue Bird and it cost 120K IDR using the meter in light traffic.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone had experience with the Camp Hyatt (Kids club) at the property? I’ve seen it mentioned at least once, but no info on the website.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:04 pm

Finally have time to report on our stay (4 nights). It was awesome! We had a Regency Suite and a connecting double room and quite frankly we could have added about 6 more people... It was a huge setup. The lounge was nice and uncrowded as was the pool. I was a bit skeptical about the beach but at high tide it was perfectly fun to play around in. Low tide is a bit startling as the water all vanishes. However, I even thought that was kind of cool (although it was low tide when we showed up and my wife and daughters were about to murder me). This is really a nice property. NO smoke or weird smells in the morning either. We booked at a cat 1 but even at a cat 2 I would say this place is a steal.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Review of recent 7 night GOH stay

Part One

Our family had a weeklong point stay here at the end of July. We were big fans of the property before remodeling. My daughter was under a year old on her last visit, so didn’t remember it.

The property is quite nice, with the lobby looking so spectacular at night. We arrived in the evening. I was excited for the family to get the lei greetings, but I guess they weren’t doing it at that time. Checkin was pretty slow at the elite line, but at least we had a welcome drink and a cool cloth.

I had emailed the property at the address listed on the website a few days before arriving. I wanted info on the Camp Hyatt, hotel specialty dinners and other activities while we were there. They never responded. The lady checking us in didn’t seem too helpful, either. Just saying to ask the concierge, or the Camp Hyatt info was in the room.

Originally I had another room booked at the 5k rate in case other friends and relatives decided to join us. So many trips I end up paying full price for a last minute additional room, so I try to have some insurance. After my wife assured me that we didn’t need the room, I canceled 3 weeks in advance. However when checking in, they still had me down for a second room. They wanted to see the cancelation email. Strange that the hotel wouldn’t have it when done that far in advance. Luckily I keep all my emails.

I generally get tired of the lounge breakfast after a couple of days, so always want to have breakfast in the restaurant (as was standard for us before the remodel), and Globalists seem to get with no problem from other reports. She did not seem to want to allow this, but eventually conceded that it was ok.

We got a room in the middle wing, top floor, next to the 3rd wing. It was a family suite. Nice room, but a tiny balcony compared to lower floors. You could just see the ocean through the trees at time. The bathroom was nicely redone. Nice sized shower, Toto toilet with built in washer (mechanical lever to activate), and a comfortable king bed.

They have moved to having refillable bottles for shampoo, body wash, lotion, etc. No plastic water bottles, just a half dozen or so glass bottles, with a couple in the bathroom. A nice fruit basket with a fruit fly shield over it was provided.

We ordered delivery from our favorite restaurant nearby, Massimo’s, and called it a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.