Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt and Virtuoso ?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Hyatt and Virtuoso ?!

Hello,

some friend told me sth. about the Virtuso travel agency and that there often advantages, if you book via Virtuso...
Any experiences ?
Are the nights still eligible for the status ?

Greetings
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by cs1985
Hello,

some friend told me sth. about the Virtuso travel agency and that there often advantages, if you book via Virtuso...
Any experiences ?
Are the nights still eligible for the status ?

Greetings
No experience, but published nightly rates (meaning non-priceline bidding type) are usually eligible for status.

From what I read, they help you get booked into higher category rooms.

The question I can't answer is does Diamond status at HGP Trump Virtuso or is it the other way round. I believe Diamond Status HGP should hold more weight.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:11 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Virtuoso generally include room upgrades, an amenity and some time of credit. Like FHR rates, they are more than the lowest rate, so for Diamonds it generally makes sense to book the lowest category room.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Virtuoso and FHR rates aren't always higher than the lowest rate, in my experience. Sometimes they are, sometime they are actually lower.

Diamond would tend to trump Virtuoso all other things being equal because diamonds get free internet and that is mostly not a Virtuoso benefit. Also full vs. continental breakfast. However if you are diamond, it won't hurt to use Virtuoso (or FHR) since Hyatt will still honor the Diamond privileges.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
I have always received stay credit on Virtuoso rates.

Not all Hyatt properties offer Virtuoso rates. I've compiled a list and posted it here. Although there are bound to be some exceptions, I have generally found that Virtuoso rates at a Hyatt are similar to the hotel's Best Available Rates.

I did a rate review a few years ago in this thread where I compared BAR rates to Virtuoso rates:
Hyatt Hotels
In all, I reviewed 27 Hyatt properties. Of those, only one was sold out, so I used November 1 to check its rates.

Of the 27 Hyatt properties:
19 of them (~70%) had a Virtuoso rate that was lower than the BAR rate associated with the same room type.
- Discounts ranged anywhere from 2 - 15%, with an average of 9.2%.
6 of them (~22%) returned BAR rates & Virtuoso rates that were identical.
2 of them (~7%) returned Virtuoso rates that were higher than the BAR rate.
If you book a stay at a Park Hyatt that is not part of Virtuoso, then you can get extra perks by booking via a Park Hyatt Prive agency. Those agencies are able to add special perks to Park Hyatt reservations:
* Daily continental breakfast
* Late checkout
* Welcome amenitiy
* Complimentary internet access (for one device)

It's also worth checking out Signature and Ensemble. They are competitors to Virtuoso, and have similar programs that provide extra perks to clients who stay at select properties.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:47 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
In my experience Virtuoso and Hyatt Diamond work well together. I have gotten myself and my clients some very good upgrades at Park Hyatt properties. It also helps that Virtuoso agents have dedicated on-site contacts (usually Sales Managers or Directors) to ensure that their clients are well taken of. They usually go the extra mile for Diamond members.

Virtuoso rates also count as stay/nights for status and thus earn points.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus Silver & Others.
People have mentioned that Virtuoso is sometimes lower than the BAR. How does it stack against pre-paid/advance purchase rates?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by suspire
People have mentioned that Virtuoso is sometimes lower than the BAR. How does it stack against pre-paid/advance purchase rates?
Within the thread that I referenced earlier (regarding rate comparisons), I included links to the tables that show the prepaid, BAR and Virtuoso rates for a variety of hotel chains. Here's the link to the Hyatt table. (Rates were for a random day in October, 2009, IIRC.)
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by MarshKing
Within the thread that I referenced earlier (regarding rate comparisons), I included links to the tables that show the prepaid, BAR and Virtuoso rates for a variety of hotel chains. Here's the link to the Hyatt table. (Rates were for a random day in October, 2009, IIRC.)
Thanks! It's fascinating to see that Virtuoso even beat the pre-paid rates several times. Too bad Andaz doesn't seem to be in their portfolio--or at least Andaz 5th Ave.

Last edited by suspire; Apr 10, 2012 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by suspire
Thanks! It's fascinating to see that Virtuoso even beat the pre-paid rates several times. Too bad Andaz doesn't seem to be in their portfolio--or at least Andaz 5th Ave.
I wouldn't expect any of the Andaz hotels to be Virtuoso properties, as Virtuoso has high standards for properties to qualify (Which Andaz would not likely meet).

I know that Virtuoso rates at PH Vendome are 10% off BAR.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I wouldn't expect any of the Andaz hotels to be Virtuoso properties, as Virtuoso has high standards for properties to qualify (Which Andaz would not likely meet)....
Hear, hear!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I wouldn't expect any of the Andaz hotels to be Virtuoso properties, as Virtuoso has high standards for properties to qualify (Which Andaz would not likely meet).
Indeedy.

The Andaz 5th Avenue is part of Ensemble. Unfortunately, Ensemble benefits are typically not as enticing as Virtuoso or Signature. (FWIW, the Andaz Wall Street is part of Signature.)
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by MarshKing
Indeedy.

The Andaz 5th Avenue is part of Ensemble. Unfortunately, Ensemble benefits are typically not as enticing as Virtuoso or Signature. (FWIW, the Andaz Wall Street is part of Signature.)
Yeah. I saw that. And I tried Ensemble for Andaz 5th Avenue just now and got higher rates than the pre-paid and the BAR for the dates I wanted. Still, I appreciate you sharing these sources--it's still helpful to check. FYI, Andaz 5th Avenue is also listed with Mastercard World Elite for those with access to it.

P.S.: I did find it weird that Andaz Wall Street is listed with most of these agencies, but Andaz 5th Avenue isn't. Is it because 5th Avenue is newer?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:55 pm

Great catch on the World Elite Mastercard offer. It sure is tough keeping track of all of the groups that offer hotel programs.

I don't know as much about Signature and Ensemble, but I know that properties typically have to apply for membership to Virtuoso and go through a vetting process. This past year, Virtuoso started to admit some properties before they opened, however it is much more common for properties to have to open their doors first in order to complete Virtuoso's screening process. The same may well be true of Signature, Ensemble, MC World Elite, etc.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:03 pm

I have heard it's rather easy for a Virtuoso agent to book a room with their special rate and benefits, and also apply a suite upgrade award.

However, I haven't seen any mention of whether or not this can be achieved with POINTS. For example, staying 3 or 4 nights at a Park Hyatt, could I book the Virtuoso rate through my agent and upgrade it all to a suite with 6,000 Hyatt points?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.