FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   World of Hyatt - Globalist Breakfast Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1829493-world-hyatt-globalist-breakfast-changes.html)

cruisingmickey May 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by cayann26 (Post 28292447)
My husband and I went to a Hyatt Centric recently and in the morning we went to the restaurant on property they told us to go to and got the buffett. The buffett was 30 per person, however when I went to check out I had a charge to my room, so I emailed the hotel to see what was going on. They told me I would only get 50 dollar credit for two breakfast, which doesn't even include their standard buffet, thankfully I didn't have my two kids with me too. Since this cap was not brought to my attention before hand. The email I was sent is below. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Which Hyatt Centric was this?

RTW1 May 11, 2017 1:56 am

Originally Posted by CIT85 (Post 28295446)
I expect this to be a US problem, since the Asia and Europe Hyatts I've stayed at would not have this issue.

I have never experienced one putting a price on the restaurant breakfast. It's either offered or it's not....

MSPeconomist May 11, 2017 6:29 am

Isn't the rule at Andaz Fifth Avenue that one gets $75 for breakfast? I realize that extra charges are often removed at checkout, so this guideline isn't a firm rule there, ar at least that was the situation before WOH launched.

IncyWincy May 11, 2017 7:22 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28297280)
Isn't the rule at Andaz Fifth Avenue that one gets $75 for breakfast? I realize that extra charges are often removed at checkout, so this guideline isn't a firm rule there, ar at least that was the situation before WOH launched.

USD 75 was what Andaz fifth allowed previously, now it seems to have changed (to one juice, one entree and one coffee). But that is not the same as the case under discussion. Here, it seems that buffet breakfast at restaurant was USD 30 each. What is not clear is whether cayann26 was told that Diamond/Glob breakfast was the buffet at the restaurant or Diamond/Glob would be treated to a breakfast at the restaurant (with a cap of USD 50 for 2 which is not buffet, but perhaps not properly communicated). I am quoting cayann26's post below in green for easy reference. I am highlighting the ambiguous part in red.
Were they just told that breakfast would be at the restaurant where they therefore went, saw a buffet and assumed that it was for D/G? But in fact, D/G were to eat breakfast at restaurant and order up to USD 50?

At Andaz, it is now a juice, an entree and coffee (according to another thread here on FT ) which is really very reasonable and what breakfast should consist of, generally. They used to allow flexibility and let top tier guests to order up to USD 75 which was in itself sometimes exceeded and waived. Very good of them. But the point is that hyatt's published policy is that Diamonds/Globs are entitled to full breakfast. We can understand that the breakfast for D/Gs is sometimes more generous, sometimes not, depending on property. Often, properties have buffets and D/Gs are informed that they can participate. That is good and fair. If property does not have buffet or does not wish to offer that, D/Gs should be able to expect a reasonable breakfast within the terms of Hyatt, complimentary, but this should be communicated properly to avoid misunderstanding. In the case of cayann26, he/she must have thought it was buffet for D/Glob .

My husband and I went to a Hyatt Centric recently and in the morning we went to the restaurant on property they told us to go to and got the buffett. The buffett was 30 per person, however when I went to check out I had a charge to my room, so I emailed the hotel to see what was going on. They told me I would only get 50 dollar credit for two breakfast, which doesn't even include their standard buffet, thankfully I didn't have my two kids with me too. Since this cap was not brought to my attention before hand. The email I was sent is below.

MSPeconomist May 11, 2017 7:26 am

To me, a reasonable breakfast would be juice, coffee/tea, entree, and side dish such as bacon, fruit, or yogurt.

IncyWincy May 11, 2017 7:42 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28297522)
To me, a reasonable breakfast would be juice, coffee/tea, entree, and side dish such as bacon, fruit, or yogurt.

Something along these lines. "Entree" can have a lot of meanings. Many already include bacon / sausages / fried tomatoes.

Actually, I would say bread / bagels should be included.

RTW1 May 11, 2017 8:43 am

Breakfast is a rather personal thing. I like a decent breakfast more than a big dinner.... so what's reasonable for some might not be for someone else.

For a restaurant breakfast I expect, having stayed for 50/60nights, to get exactly the same as those booking a room including breakfast.....

notquiteaff May 11, 2017 9:16 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 28297893)
For a restaurant breakfast I expect, having stayed for 50/60nights, to get exactly the same as those booking a room including breakfast.....

Anything else would be pretty "cheesy". I am okay with capping the number of people eligble per elite, but covering only a portion of the buffet?

MSPeconomist May 11, 2017 9:57 am

I'd really prefer some fixed amount per room that would be enough to cover the buffet for two adults. To me, this would be more fare than specifying two adults and two children, especially since basic hotel room rates tend to cover either one or two people (at the same price regardless of whether it's one or two adults, at least in most hotels and most locations). Let people then choose what they want for breakfast, such as continental for more people or a big breakfast for one while the spouse just has coffee in the room if that's what the couple wants to do.

Visconti May 13, 2017 11:03 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28298289)
I'd really prefer some fixed amount per room that would be enough to cover the buffet for two adults.

This.

Like Vegas with the RFBs, just give each room a predetermined credit to spend anywhere within the property. I never eat breakfast and end up wasting the free breakfast perk (find breakfast buffets completely unappealing), unless I'm traveling with others.

However, I'd the credit very useful for the bar/room service/dinner and would gladly pay for the difference.

josephstern May 13, 2017 11:05 am

That just wouldn't work. They assume some breakage in the breakfast benefit. Less breakage = higher costs.

If you're going that far, why not just a credit off your bill for that amount, on anything, including room charges?

Visconti May 13, 2017 11:10 am

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 28307218)
That just wouldn't work. They assume some breakage in the breakfast benefit. Less breakage = higher costs.

If you're going that far, why not just a credit off your bill for that amount, on anything, including room charges?

It'd be like Vegas.

If you don't use the credit, you lose it. Some will underutilize it and others will end up paying more. Personally, I find this the most fair.

notquiteaff May 13, 2017 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 28307206)
This.

Like Vegas with the RFBs, just give each room a predetermined credit to spend anywhere within the property. I never eat breakfast and end up wasting the free breakfast perk (find breakfast buffets completely unappealing), unless I'm traveling with others.

However, I'd the credit very useful for the bar/room service/dinner and would gladly pay for the difference.

Then I'd try find ways to use every last cent of it. Buy crap at the gift store, order drinks I otherwise wouldn't get.

Visconti May 13, 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 28307257)
Then I'd try find ways to use every last cent of it. Buy crap at the gift store, order drinks I otherwise wouldn't get.

You would think everyone would, but many under use it. Like Vegas, they can exclude gift shops and limit it to rest/bars/room service/spas.

I find this much more palatable than the 7 - 10:30 am breakfast buffet rush.

RTW1 May 13, 2017 1:40 pm

The benefit is free (lounge) breakfast.... fat change that will change to some generic credit.