Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:51 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge
Original Poster

This highly anticipated property is first in the world to debut under Hyatt’s new lifestyle brand for modern explorers!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:16 pm

Will be one of the first to stay there from May 6-10th. Pretty excited. What should I expect?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
I'm debating if I want to use my two free nights at the Park Hyatt or here... Am looking forward to reading all the reviews!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Will be in Chicago in September. Booked a room and will be curious to see how this compares to Magnificent Mile.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:44 am

Hmm first time seeing hotel distinguishing between one king bed and one queen bed room
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:33 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by guear
Hmm first time seeing hotel distinguishing between one king bed and one queen bed room
It also appears that the double-queen rooms are not available for booking using GP points. I think this is the first time I've seen this for a domestic US Hyatt.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:47 pm

Here now (cancelled my Mag Mile reservation when I saw the Centric was now available and the centric was a bit cheaper than my rate at MM). According to FD staff they have been open since Tuesday. FD staff is still learning their way which is totally fine at this stage. FD area and lobby is minimalist (particularly in comparison to MM) and very loud due to the popular adjacent restrauant.

Upgraded to a "suite" with two queens so not sure what a standard room is like. When making my reservation on the diamond line I was told that two quees was $10 more per night than one queen. I would consder the room a jr suite, certainly not large. The bath looks good so far and is large. seperate tub, shower stall and wc all behind opaque glass partitions.

Wooden cabinetry / closet is in the entryway and makes that portion of the room feel somewhat claustraphobic.

Diamond bfast credit feels very thin ($15 credit per person) but the FD person was not confident/clear about diamond options and later said room service was also an option and that 'all room charges for breaksfast' would be adjusted.

Street noise from high floor is just a dull hum but its certainly louder than the HR on Wacker.

Edit: despite the FD staff's use of the word suite I am in a deluxe double. The suite description on the website suggest they are much more impressive. It appears the FD staff stuck to the letter of the diamond policy of upgrading Diamonds at least one room class.

Edit 2: breakfast credit issues are likely a result of the lounge not being open yet.

Edit 3: street noise late at night from ocasional sirens is an issue.

Will try to do more exploring later.

Last edited by BobR; Apr 25, 2015 at 6:14 am
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
@Bob is it possible to get a decent breakfast for $15? Pondering a stay here or back at the regency.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
@Bob have you by chance stayed at the PH before? How does it compare?

What was your breakfast experience like? I know the PH's Nomi is pretty good.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobR

Edit: despite the FD staff's use of the word suite I am in a deluxe double. The suite description on the website suggest they are much more impressive.

Edit 2: breakfast credit issues are likely a result of the lounge not being open yet.

Will try to do more exploring later.
I'm sure that credit will go higher? That can barely buy Mickey D's breakfast.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I am there May 10-14...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by canon5dfan
@Bob have you by chance stayed at the PH before? How does it compare?
My first few hours make me think the Centric is a fine hotel, but more on the level of the HR on Wacker (which I generally like) than the PH. I would choose the PH every time if price (or location) were not an issue. The Centric feels very spartan in comparison to the PH, but to be fair I think some of the minimalist feel is due to the newness of the property.

So after 5 hours my take is the Centric is in a very good location, and is a solid mid-level property. I travel to Chicago often, so far the Centric will be a part of my choice set, but I doubt I would pay a primium to stay here over the HR or MM.

I really haven't seen anything yet that sets Centric apart as a brand.

Last edited by BobR; Apr 25, 2015 at 6:16 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:49 am

My first few hours make me think the Centric is a fine hotel, but more on the level of the HR on Wacker (which I generally like) than the PH. I would choose the PH every time if price (or location) were not an issue. The Centric feels very spartan in comparison to the PH, but to be fair I think some of the minimalist feel is due to the newness of the property.

So after 5 hours my take is the Centric is in a very good location, and is a solid mid-level property. I travel to Chicago often, so far the Centric will be a part of my choice set, but I doubt I would pay a primium to stay here over the HR or MM. i will regularly choose the Centric if its cheaper that the other central Chicago properties.

Thanks! I'l be in town in June and was debating switching my free nights from the PH to this but I think I'm going to stay put
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: nighttime siren noise is worse than MM so far.
Ugh about the noise and does anyone know if there's a spa? I'm thinking not.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I also switch my stay to be here now. Full review to follow after breakfast to fully comment on the $15 F&B coupon, whether it was to promote the restaurant or meant for breakfast.

As for the noise, Chicago is know for its architecture and both Centric and MM were retrofitted into old buildings with poor noise insulation. I used to live in Chicago, right over a highway, in a new build which had excellent noise insulation. You will hear noise here, at MM, and at PH. I am a deep sleeper and can block it out otherwise. I am only aware of the noise after reading this forum so I can comment on it for others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.