Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 12:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The Marriott is right next to the airport. I have never stayed there but would be worried about the air traffic noise. Granted, you could make it to the hotel quickly!

The Now Amber is right in the middle of the hotel zone and close to the city center. It looks gorgeous online.

Are you wanting to explore PV? Or mainly just sit on the beach?

The thing I love most about Ziva is the private beach and that it’s away from the busy city. You feel like you’re on a beach in the middle of the jungle.

Curious what other people think too!
Old May 10, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by thejohnterry
Are you wanting to explore PV? Or mainly just sit on the beach?

The thing I love most about Ziva is the private beach and that it’s away from the busy city. You feel like you’re on a beach in the middle of the jungle.
We've got a 5 and 6 year old with us, so we are likely to spend most (if not all) the time at the resort. I always read very mixed reviews on Ziva. Most say, "It's not as bad as the reviews", but that's not the warm and fuzzy I am looking for. No need to roll the dice and end up alongside all the bad reviews. I'm also considering the Iberostar Selection Playa Mita all-inclusive. I haven't seen a bad review yet, aside from it being a longer drive from the airport and more remote...which we are ok with, especially considering all they have to offer. It just looks nicer, newer, and clearner than the Ziva in PV. We are accustomed to the ZIva in Cabo, which is beautiful with excellent service (at least on each of our stays there).
Old May 10, 2019, 7:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

The Ziva is a resort that really is hard to categorize as seen by the reviews being all over the place. I wrote an extensive review several years ago and can tell you I would NOT ignore the negatives that others say pay no mind. The BEST part of the resort is the beach although parts of it were made intolerable ( for us) by incessant music. Why the sound of the waves is not enough beats me. The WORST part of the resort was the food. I am not too picky ( I like airplane food) but the food served in the various restaurants was fair to inedible. ( We were there for 6 nights and almost every meal but one was a disappointment.) A lot may have to do with age...we were 6 guys in our late 50's to 70's.... most of the clientele were 30 something.... big drinkers and beach volley ball players. Just not our scene..... and the elevators were so old that we really took a chance with our life every time we went up to our top floor suites.

As you can tell I am not a fan.... and it use to be our favorite hotel in Mexico when it was the Camino Real..... many years ago.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dprocuk
We've got a 5 and 6 year old with us, so we are likely to spend most (if not all) the time at the resort. I always read very mixed reviews on Ziva. Most say, "It's not as bad as the reviews", but that's not the warm and fuzzy I am looking for. No need to roll the dice and end up alongside all the bad reviews. I'm also considering the Iberostar Selection Playa Mita all-inclusive. I haven't seen a bad review yet, aside from it being a longer drive from the airport and more remote...which we are ok with, especially considering all they have to offer. It just looks nicer, newer, and clearner than the Ziva in PV. We are accustomed to the ZIva in Cabo, which is beautiful with excellent service (at least on each of our stays there).
I felt like the Ziva was very family friendly and our 7yo loved the Kids Club - did not have any issue with cleanliness or the elevators in the Club building. Also enjoyed the restaurant service and cuisine mix and access to town (less than $5 Uber to Romantica) when we did want to get out for a bit. We met several other families who had also stayed at Cabo and Cancun Zivas and preferred the PV property and would return, as we will, for Thanksgiving this coming year.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by US @ DEN
We met several other families who had also stayed at Cabo and Cancun Zivas and preferred the PV property and would return, as we will, for Thanksgiving this coming year.
Ziva PV over Ziva Los Cabos or ZIva Cancun? We've been to Ziva Cabo four times and have always enjoyed it. Every review or person out there states that ZIva PV is far inferior to Los Cabos. Cancun also get very high remarks, often higher than Los Cabos. Cancun and Los Cabos always seem to be the "top" Ziva properties, and PV always a clear last place. If you've been to both, why do you like PV better than Ziva Cabos or Ziva Cancun?
Old May 31, 2019, 7:52 am

I've been to Cancun once and PV twice. Cancun is definitely more "upscale." Better restaurants, "younger" travelers, newer rooms. You're in easy walking distance to shopping. You are surrounded on 3 sides to the ocean. However, there's not (in my opinion) really good "beach" space. One side has very little beach area. One side is rocky. The third side is a long distance from the water to the hotel. We spent most of our time sitting near the pool instead of the ocean.

PV is much older. The restaurants aren't as good, but I think unless you are a foodie they're fine. As many have said, you simply can't beat the beach. The property is surrounded by two rock formations which provides a quarter of a mile of secluded space.

I'd go back to either one. As someone from the Midwest, sitting in a beach chair in the sand next to the ocean is more important than the food or room amenities. Cancun feel more like "Vegas" and PV feels more like "San Diego" (hope that makes sense). I prefer PV, but completely understand why others disagree. It really comes down to your preferences.

As an aside, ask me again in February after I return from the Dominican Republic....
Old May 31, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by reslfakb
I've been to Cancun once and PV twice. Cancun is definitely more "upscale." Better restaurants, "younger" travelers, newer rooms. You're in easy walking distance to shopping. You are surrounded on 3 sides to the ocean. However, there's not (in my opinion) really good "beach" space. One side has very little beach area. One side is rocky. The third side is a long distance from the water to the hotel.
Really have to disagree with you on the beach comment. I’ve been to beaches around the globe (Caribbean, Hawaii, Tahiti, Puerto V, Cabo, Greece, and more....) and the North Beach at Ziva Cancun (the one you say has “very little beach area”) is my 2nd favorite of them all, behind Tahiti.

First of all, there’s enough beach for several rows of covered beach chairs (under Palapas), the water is year round crystal clear green/blue, there’s significant tropical fish, hammocks in the water, a typical light surf perfect for bobbing, lots of shallow water for wandering, typically no seaweed, and great temperatures year round. The scenery facing the lighthouse and out to sea is also very nice. Love this beach!

The other beach (the one you say is “long distance”) is at most a TWO or THREE minute walk (over sand) from the Club Tower pool area. This beach is miles long and perfect for beach combing and long walks. The waves are bigger but the area closest Ziva is uniquely more protected thanks to a large jetty.

Both beaches are sparkling clean and generally lacking “vendors” or beggars.

On the flip side the Pacific beaches, in my experience, are colder, less clear, rougher, and more populated by vendors. The mountain scenery found on the Pacific side is a plus, however.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:59 pm

While the beach at PV Ziva was at one time really special, the hotel which occupies the entire backdrop has basically covered the entire beach in palapas, beach volley ball nets, and music. Incessant and loud..... usually two different sound systems at either end of the beach. The quieter side of the beach is also where the children's "camp" is located. And if you don't mind hearing a loop all day long of Disney's " It's a Small World After All" there are less people. ( Probably for good reason.)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:36 am

Any recent reviews from any holiday travelers? We just returned from a six night stay in PV and did the Hilton resort. Small property, but certainly adequate for pool and beach access. Modelo on draft certainly helped as well. Service was great, but food was hit or miss aside from breakfast and the chips and pico. If anyone has stayed at both the Hilton and Hyatt, how would you compare them?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I'd like to "set the record straight" on this property...

I was in PVR for a few weeks and I decided to do a one night staycation here with my partner. I am a Globalist, and when we arrived at 11:00 AM in an Uber we were able to check in immediately. We asked for a room with a private pool or jacuzzi and were accommodated with one in the Club tower (more on that later). I was also granted a 4:00 PM checkout without any fuss whatsoever. That's 29 hours of all inclusive for 2 people for 15,000 points (considering current promo). That's just outstanding value.

The room was lovely with a great shower, beautiful decor, and a decently stocked mini fridge. While the jacuzzi outside wasn't spectacular, it was fun.

The drinks were great at all the bars. The bartenders were enthusiastic and would get as creative as you wanted. I really enjoyed daiquiris made with fresh passionfruit. Spirits were decent quality too. Some bars had Grey Goose stocked. There were always multiple choices of tequila. You just had to specify what you wanted. Don't forget to try a michelada, super refreshing at the pool bar.

The food was great. I never went to the buffet, but managed to have 2 lunches, a dinner, and a breakfast all at a la carte restaurants. The fish dishes were always good, as was the regional Mexican fare. The Puebla style enchiladas with mole were spectacular and wouldn't seem out of place at any trendy restaurant in Austin. Buffalo wings were also a surprising standout.

The service was awesome. The associates were so warm and honestly seemed happy to have me there. They would always hold their hand over their hearts as they thanked you or greeted you. Mask wearing compliance by the staff was 100%.

The key to a good stay here is getting in the Club tower. Do whatever you can to get in there. I think it has been renovated recently, and the rooms really are great. The Club bar is the best bar on site, and having it at your disposal really ups your enjoyment here. The bartender there is clearly a very experienced bartender (if not mixologist), and made great suggestions. It reminded me of an upscale bar at a nice airline lounge. It kind of reminded me of the Pier F bar in HKG.

Ignore the negative reviews of this place. I don't see how anybody could not be satisfied with it. The value prop for point redemptions is incredible.

Finally... don't forget to take an Uber to the Zona Romantica one night for drinks. The Uber is less than MXN 45 and you'll be there in under 10 minutes.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
Ignore the negative reviews of this place. I don't see how anybody could not be satisfied with it.
Perhaps things have changed since we were there.........but the six of us ( 3 couples) thought it was the WORST food we have ever had in any hotel we have ever been in our lives. Even though we paid for the A.I...we ate out in town as much as we could.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I really enjoyed daiquiris made with fresh passionfruit.
This alone makes me want to go to the Ziva PVR
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:37 pm

I stayed here in 2019 and loved it- especially the churassco on the ocean. However, I just got back from 4 nights at Ziva Cancun, and if I had to choose, I'd pick Ziva Cancun in a heartbeat. It's bigger with a lot more options to eat/drink, and two beaches with water you can actually swim in.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
This alone makes me want to go to the Ziva PVR
Zona Romantica alone!
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by david55
Perhaps things have changed since we were there.........but the six of us ( 3 couples) thought it was the WORST food we have ever had in any hotel we have ever been in our lives. Even though we paid for the A.I...we ate out in town as much as we could.
I suppose we all have different palates. If the Ziva had the worst food you've had in any hotel you've ever been in, then I envy you.

When I was here, there was no "paying for AI," everyone was AI. Of course PVR has great food so if you choose to eschew the resort and dine in town, that's your prerogative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.