Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KAUAI: Coco Palms Resort.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by lvscotty
For those of you wondering if the iconic Coco Palms Resort on Kaua'i will reopen as a Hyatt Regency; a Hyatt; a Grand Hyatt; a Park Hyatt; a Hyatt Place or an Andaz property, since it had
already been announced that Hyatt will manage the soon to be renovated property. . . .
Are you local and can comment on the current situation on the ground?

From my limited annual time on island and trying to follow the story in The Garden Island online, it seems like the demolition permit took forever to get cultural clearance and administrative approval. That was just to knock down the wrecked shells; not to put something new up.

We usually spend a few days around Kapaa on the front end of a trip just because it still has a small beach-town feel to it. I'm truly pleased to see it revitalizing as a destination instead of a used-to-be. Hoping for the best but just can't imagine it happening anytime soon at Coco Palms let alone 2017.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 23, 2016 at 11:21 am
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Demolition has begun on the property and is expected to last 6 months. Now a potential opening in mid-2018.

This article has a few more details.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lvscotty
my understanding is that the property will not go by any of these names, but rather a newly introduced brand, not yet announced by Chicago based Hyatt Hotels Corp.
You were correct--it is opening as part of the "Unbound Collection".
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:02 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I for one am very excited about this property. While I was last visiting Kauai in the summer of 2016, it seemed as if the locals are questioning if this will ever open
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
It looks like they've hit another roadblock. The most recent news I can find on this is from March 31; the property is occupied by protesters who claim ownership. Coco Palms dispute
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:43 pm

I drove by in November and NOTHING had been done; completely still abandoned.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Does anyone have an update?

The most recent news log is from 11 April 2017:
​​​​​​​
https://cocopalmskauai.com/news/

Is this another Hyatt Baha Mar?

Or worse?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Does anyone have an update?
In September it looked like there had been substantial demolition. But absolutely nothing current going on.

Hopefully somebody can give you a more current report.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:04 pm
Suspended

I saw this a couple of months back:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...yones-on-board
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:48 pm

In summary--too many competing beliefs.

So not opening this decade.

Maybe 202X.

​​​​​​​Or never.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by oc2005
I saw this a couple of months back:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...yones-on-board
The main point of the article is that the project is mired in permitting hell. MAYBE all the necessary permits will be issued by mid 2018; however, some county board members are considering plans to turn it into a park or an expansion of a local college campus. Add to this drama the fact that some people claiming to be descended from Hawaiian royalty are squatting on the land pending further litigation, I will be impressed if I can reserve a room sometime before 2024!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
drove by here a few days ago...most of the demolition looks to be done from a few years back. All the walls and windows have been removed. If construction began tomorrow using a mainland timeline I think 2 years would be aggressive...given how slow things typically go on the island, I would say 3 years at best after the permits are issued...don't hold your breath! :-)
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:03 am

Hyatt seems to be the champion for signing up the most difficult-to-launch resorts, that may or may not ever see the light of day.
'
St. Kitts
Coco Palms
Barbados
Baha Mar

How can we count the ways?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:11 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Hyatt seems to be the champion for signing up the most difficult-to-launch resorts, that may or may not ever see the light of day.
'
St. Kitts
Coco Palms
Barbados
Baha Mar

How can we count the ways?
You left off Andaz Maui.

St. Kitts and Baha Mar are now open.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:51 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Here's an update from this article Police remove Coco Palms occupiers - The Garden Island...

From the developer, "construction on the resort is scheduled to resume within the next four to five months."
bsdstone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.