Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ehallison
(2022 RENOVATIONS) Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 2022 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spa’s reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rental…and this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witch’s Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
• Boat tours are worthwhile
• Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
• Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
• If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
• For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
• Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
• Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crème brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
• Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
• at Marina
• A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
• 8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
• Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
• There is a supermarket right as you enter “larger” cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a “larger” city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Café Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
• Do It Center
• at 21 and 253
• Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
• Pharmacy
• Pizza place
• Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by 236Dakota

There is a reason why the peninsula’s residents have their first class beach club, Priata, on the blue water/Pacific side. Since Andaz guests no longer have access to that beach we now stay less at the Andaz.
The new Andaz Beach is very nice and not too far from Priata
Old May 16, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
The new Andaz Beach is very nice and not too far from Priata
Maybe nice, but not nicer. It is on a still water bay that is often murky. Priata is on the blue water Pacific side of the peninsula, thus the reason the peninsula residents established their beach club there. Great pools and great body surfing as well. When conditions are right, snorkeling their can rival the Great Barrier Reef. It is a shame it is no longer easily accessible to Andaz guests. One can still access the Priata beach via 700+ stairs, but only in front of the club without food and beverage service.

Old May 30, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Amex, ThankYou, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, SPG, SQ
My wife and I just booked a trip to the Andaz Papagayo for next week. We were last there in late June of 2016 and loved it. Of course we were Globalist (err Diamond) then with a Suite Upgrade and the free breakfast benefit and now I'm merely Explorist but oh well.

Our favorite part of the whole resort was the beach right there at the end of the trail below the pool. We loved the chairs, loungers, and hammocks tucked nicely in the shade under the trees in addition to enjoying how relatively empty it was. It was also nice to be able to check-out snorkel gear, kayaks, etc. right there for use there. Oh and ordering a drink or lunch and having it delivered to us was nice too. What I am reading here gives us concern as some people seem to be saying that there are no longer chairs or hammocks at this beach and seem to be saying that all the food service, equipment rentals, and loaner equipment is no longer available at the beach right at the resort as it has been moved exclusively to the new beach club. Can anyone confirm, deny, or otherwise clarify this for me?

We didn't make it to the marina or the marina bar/restaurant on our previous visit but plan to check it out this time. Can we walk there? If so then can it be accessed by a trail or only by walking along the road?
Old May 30, 2018, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewOnTheRoad
My wife and I just booked a trip to the Andaz Papagayo for next week. We were last there in late June of 2016 and loved it. Of course we were Globalist (err Diamond) then with a Suite Upgrade and the free breakfast benefit and now I'm merely Explorist but oh well.

Our favorite part of the whole resort was the beach right there at the end of the trail below the pool. We loved the chairs, loungers, and hammocks tucked nicely in the shade under the trees in addition to enjoying how relatively empty it was. It was also nice to be able to check-out snorkel gear, kayaks, etc. right there for use there. Oh and ordering a drink or lunch and having it delivered to us was nice too. What I am reading here gives us concern as some people seem to be saying that there are no longer chairs or hammocks at this beach and seem to be saying that all the food service, equipment rentals, and loaner equipment is no longer available at the beach right at the resort as it has been moved exclusively to the new beach club. Can anyone confirm, deny, or otherwise clarify this for me?

We didn't make it to the marina or the marina bar/restaurant on our previous visit but plan to check it out this time. Can we walk there? If so then can it be accessed by a trail or only by walking along the road?
I was there two month ago and there were beach chairs at the beach below the swimming pool and you could for sure order food and drinks. You were also able to rent some equipment, but can't tell you what exactly. The only major change I have noticed at that beach is less people.
AndrewOnTheRoad likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Amex, ThankYou, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, SPG, SQ
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I was there two month ago and there were beach chairs at the beach below the swimming pool and you could for sure order food and drinks. You were also able to rent some equipment, but can't tell you what exactly. The only major change I have noticed at that beach is less people.
Thanks! That's about what we were hoping.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by AndrewOnTheRoad

There is actually a closed asphalt road that heads down to the marina. Walk out past the guard house and a few hundred yards up is a cul de sac on your right. The closed road has a chain across it. Easy.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:58 am

Looking forward to staying at the resort again in a few days. I've received the welcome email from them with a link of all the hotel facilities, menus, and outside activities. Its very useful. The link is (here), and I've also included it in the wiki.
whistler814 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:55 am

Seems discussion on this board has slowed a bit, so I'll provide a brief update from a stay a couple of weeks ago. In short: YOU MUST VISIT!

Staff: Very friendly and professional staff throughout the entire resort. Its a casual setting, so the interactions are very friendly and family like. Staff at the front-desk, daycare, pools, beach, restaurants, and bell-boys were top notch. They remembered our names and preferences throughout our six day stay. They were willing to accompany any special requests, and they have a say yes attitude. We especially enjoyed the anniversary decorations in our room one of the nights.

Activities: This is still my favorite resort. The pools are super comfortable and actually quiet large. This was perfect for our families. The sun-screen, bug spray, flavored waters, and snow-cones are all wonderful additions. All of these are offered for free, and are also located at the beaches. This is a welcome gift and makes you feel welcomed to their homes. There is no mention of charges so you don't feel nickled and dimed here. They also offer a large range of payed activities throughout the day. We took part of the Ceviche and Barista classes, and they were amazing. This is a must! We also heard wonderful things about the nature tour, snorkeling tour, and kayaking tour. Often, you are the only one to join in the tour so it will be a private experience and the prices are very reasonable.

Beaches: The beaches here are still my favorite in the world. They are carved out from the forest, so you have a very friendly, comfortable, and cozy beach hanging out under trees, monkeys, and canopies. The water isn't the clearest, and snorkeling isn't the best, but the beach is very comfortable and my family usually spent all day there. Full service is also offered at all the beaches including drink/food services, water activities, and free sunscreen/water/bug-spray as needed.

Andaz Beach House: Wow! This feature was added in December at the hotel. You take the shuttle for a 10 minute ride to another portion of Papagayo, then you take another 3 minute golf-cart ride through the jungle. After that, you have a very clean, comfortable beach setting you can easily spend all day there. Plenty of water activities available, and even beach games (soccer, bounce ball, sandbags, etc.) kept us entertained all day. Full service is also offered here. One day, there was an event at the Prieta Beach club. We were told that Prieta went through a renovation and "locked-out" hotel guests, choosing rather to keep it as a private club. The place is great, but it is "up-class", and we didn't feel too comfortable. The beach and activities at the Andaz Beach House are much better and we feel that this gives a richer experience for guests.

Food: The food at the hotel is top notch. Everything we ate was amazing. We ordered a few dishes at Chao Pascoe, and they were excellent. We also had breakfast (~$35) one day. The quality was exceptional. You can also ordered any coffee and smoothie from the menu as part of the buffet, and I didn't shy down, ordering five different drinks that morning. Saying that, the food costs could add up very quickly. So we personally ate three nights at the nearby Marina. The Marina offered excellent food as well, with great prices. A nice fish dish is about $15. Also, three years ago when we visited the resort, they had an amazing pineapple bake dish. This was an entire pineapple with plenty of toppings. We ordered the similar dish this time, and the dish was about three pieces of pineapple and icecream. It is much cheaper, but this was a bit disappointing. It is understandable though as the original dish was crazy huge.

Rooms/Facilities: The room is wonderful, very practical, and quiet spacious. We had two portable beds for my kids installed, and we still had plenty of room to play around. The bed is the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept on. The views from the third floor were amazing. The free snacks and drinks are also a very welcome idea. The gym/spa/lobby and all other facilities are fantastic.

Overall, we loved this resort, and look forward to going back. I would highly recommend the resort, and would put it top on your list. The ease of visiting from U.S., the affordability using points, the amazing staff, relaxed environment, and wonderful nature are all reasons to visit. Great job Hyatt, Management, and Staff.
Quimby4 likes this.

Last edited by isaifan; Aug 8, 2018 at 9:40 am
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Nice report!

I loved my stay very much! But if it's your favorite beach in the world, we have different tastes.

For example Kalihiwai in Kauai has tree shade for the first third of the beach, in a deep bay, clear Hawaiian waters (not much for snorkeling due to sandy bottom). And about 6 others on the island that I find world class, a couple of classes above Papagayo.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Nice report!

I loved my stay very much! But if it's your favorite beach in the world, we have different tastes.

For example Kalihiwai in Kauai has tree shade for the first third of the beach, in a deep bay, clear Hawaiian waters (not much for snorkeling due to sandy bottom). And about 6 others on the island that I find world class, a couple of classes above Papagayo.
Sounds awesome. I've put it on my list
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:06 am

Because of the lack of access to the Prieta Beach Club we are foregoing Andaz this January and just staying in Tamarindo.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:56 pm

Because of the lack of access to the Prieta Beach Club we are foregoing Andaz this January and just staying in Tamarindo.
Where did you see this? Were heading there late December.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Greg Malyshev
Where did you see this? Were heading there late December.
We didn't "see this", we experienced this first hand last January, our 4th stay at the property.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
We didn't "see this", we experienced this first hand last January, our 4th stay at the property.
Prieta is closed to Hyatt guests but Hyatt had opened their own beach club which is very nice
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by martinplas

Prieta is closed to Hyatt guests but Hyatt had opened their own beach club which is very nice
We prefer blue water beaches with waves to the cloudy water bay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.