Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ehallison
(2022 RENOVATIONS) Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 2022 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spa’s reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rental…and this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witch’s Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
• Boat tours are worthwhile
• Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
• Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
• If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
• For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
• Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
• Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crème brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
• Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
• at Marina
• A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
• 8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
• Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
• There is a supermarket right as you enter “larger” cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a “larger” city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Café Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
• Do It Center
• at 21 and 253
• Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
• Pharmacy
• Pizza place
• Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by StevenH123
I read somewhere that they offered a bag of laundry for $20 or $30. Does anybody know if that is still the case?
Yep. $30 per bag.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Yep. $30 per bag.
Thanks to your quick reply my wife just decided that we can lug significantly less clothing!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I read somewhere that they offered a bag of laundry for $20 or $30. Does anybody know if that is still the case?
When we were there in December, there was a very small laundry bag hanging in the closet which had a 'special' $20 tag on it. I opened the folded back up and laughed - it was so small! you could only fit in one T-shirt, a pair of male underwear, and perhaps a pair of socks. Definitely NOT a good value for $20...
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali
there was a very small laundry bag hanging in the closet which had a 'special' $20 tag on it. I opened the folded back up and laughed - it was so small!
And now my wife is back to bringing half of New York with us...
TommyboyCAN likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’m taking puddle jumpers from Manuel Antonio and read that while I can take a small second bag )and pay for the privilege), it’s not guaranteed to arrive on the same flight and I am responsible for getting it. I will be fitting everything into a 22” carryon,, and pay more than I want to for laundry I guess.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Originally Posted by beachfan
Great picture, I want to hear more about the New Beach House, Im going there in a few weeks.

Thanks!
My wife and I will also be there in a few weeks! March 6-9 for us. We went last February and we were disappointed about Prieta Beach Club but it sounds like the beach house might be a good substitute. It's only a little more than a mile down the coast from the looks of it. I wonder if you can take kayaks from the resort to the beach house.

As far as packing goes, we liked our tactic last year so we're going to do it again: Check a carry-on sized suitcase on the way down and carry it on the way back. Why check it on the way down? We filled it with clothes but also our fix of Diet Dew, a few craft beers, and some snacky/breakfast food. It helped cut down the meal and bar expenses since we were basically trapped on the peninsula for our short stay (took a shuttle van from LIR).
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by valuetactics
My wife and I will also be there in a few weeks! March 6-9 for us. We went last February and we were disappointed about Prieta Beach Club but it sounds like the beach house might be a good substitute. It's only a little more than a mile down the coast from the looks of it. I wonder if you can take kayaks from the resort to the beach house.

As far as packing goes, we liked our tactic last year so we're going to do it again: Check a carry-on sized suitcase on the way down and carry it on the way back. Why check it on the way down? We filled it with clothes but also our fix of Diet Dew, a few craft beers, and some snacky/breakfast food. It helped cut down the meal and bar expenses since we were basically trapped on the peninsula for our short stay (took a shuttle van from LIR).
I don't think you'd need to lug kayaks from the resort. When we were there in January, the Andaz Beach House itself had kayaks and other equipment available for check-out.

It's not as clear as I'd like, but you can see the area where they check out water sports equipment toward the left side of this panorama (there's some equipment laying on the ground in the trees). Unfortunately, I don't have a non-panoramic photo of that area.

Last edited by makavel; Feb 15, 2018 at 10:26 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
That shade looks fabulous!!

If it isn't buggy, that's a beautiful place to chill.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:48 am

Shade does look great, I'll be in it tomorrow!.

Does anybody know a decent supermarket on the way from LIR to the Andaz?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Originally Posted by makavel
I don't think you'd need to lug kayaks from the resort. When we were there in January, the Andaz Beach House itself had kayaks and other equipment available for check-out.
What I mean was can you paddle a kayak to the beach from the resort. I see how my phrasing didn't make this clear. I thought it might be fun to use the kayaks to go somewhere rather than just cruise around in the bay.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by valuetactics
What I mean was can you paddle a kayak to the beach from the resort. I see how my phrasing didn't make this clear. I thought it might be fun to use the kayaks to go somewhere rather than just cruise around in the bay.
Hahaha oops- I totally didn't catch that meaning. Thanks for the laugh! I will be curious to hear how it goes if you try to paddle all of the way there!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We took the kayaks out, and the guy said to go no farther than the next beach.

This was our first day, so we paddled for about 20 minutes to a nice beach, and then turned around.

The next day we found out that he meant the next Andaz 'beach' was is really not a beach at all, and is about a 30 second paddle from the kayak pickup beach.

So, no, I'd expect you cannot kayak to this other beach, at least, not with the Andaz's kayaks and their approval.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: United 1P
We are going to stay at the hotel next weekend. Is the water in the family pool cool? My kids do not like cold water. If the water temperature is not high enough, I may consider bring a thin wetsuit for them. Are there sprinklers and slides in the pool for kids to play?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:30 pm

Did you have any issues with mosquitoes?
I forgot to add this to my review, but we did have issues with mosquitoes. They may have been sand fleas or no-seeums, but we came away with tons of bites. While there is bug spray available all over (pools, beach, restaurants), I was not diligent about using it since I don't like the sticky chemically feel of DEET. OTOH, I also do not like itchy bites, so for me that was a negative for the resort.

Originally Posted by kgkg
Is the water in the family pool cool?
Yes, the pool water was cold IMO. Much of the pool is shaded, especially later in the aftenoon. The pool on the right side (facing the bay) was a bit warmer but smaller and no zero entry on that side. There were plenty of kids enjoying the family pool anyway, including mine, but if yours will be uncomfortable the wetsuits might come in handy. There were no slides, and I don't recall any sprinklers.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:17 am

I have a full size rental car booked for the four days I'm there for a decent rprice (I think, $150 all in). Is pickup fairly easy at LIR (for AVIS). I'll have been in Costa Rica for 8 days already so I think I"ll be mostly chilling on the property, so having second thoughts regarding the car. Any pros and cons other than the obvious? I'll be driving in daylight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.