Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas, CA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

So meeting with some of the general managers of existing Alila properties, the cat was let out of the bag. But Alila is coming to the San Diego area. The Encinitas Beach Resort Alila will be a 130 room luxury resort.

Construction began this past January and from the conversations I've had, is actually ahead of schedule. Originally suppose to open the first quarter of 2021, they are now optimistically saying the 4th quarter of 2020.

https://jwdainc.com/construction-sta...-beach-resort/

https://encinitasbeachhotel.com/
59Impala, markko and OxyTrojan like this.

Last edited by bcosinteno; Jun 15, 2020 at 7:35 pm
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
More information on the Alila Encinitas Project - officially named Alila Marea. Scheduled to open in January of 2021.

Information now up on the Alila Website - https://www.alilahotels.com/about-al...ts/alila-marea
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
More information on the Alila Encinitas Project - officially named Alila Marea. Scheduled to open in January of 2021.

Information now up on the Alila Website - https://www.alilahotels.com/about-al...ts/alila-marea
This is fascinating— thanks so much for sharing. Just curious though: the Park Hyatt Aviara is just a stone’s throw away; I’m hoping there wouldn’t be too much completion for the same (perhaps limited) high-end clientele?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
This is fascinating— thanks so much for sharing. Just curious though: the Park Hyatt Aviara is just a stone’s throw away; I’m hoping there wouldn’t be too much completion for the same (perhaps limited) high-end clientele?
Park Hyatt is more inland and a golf course destination vs this one, which appears to be right off the South Coastal 101 and a true coastal/beach experience. I believe it is in Leucadia, but using the Encinitas name for more "prestige" in the area.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...111-story.html
https://encinitasbeachhotel.com/?page_id=6052
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks! I’m more excited than usual given my thought on travel (will drive to my next holiday foot, not fly)
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CrashDavis
Park Hyatt is more inland and a golf course destination vs this one, which appears to be right off the South Coastal 101 and a true coastal/beach experience.
Yeah, locations are really different. Alila looks like it could be super nice. There's currently not much to choose from if you want to be beachside in north county. That said, I found the narrative on the website nausea-inducing.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Always a fan of new upscale properties in Socal. I'd say the closest upscale Hyatt properties to LAX are (for now) PH Aviara, Alila Ventana Big Sur, and Andaz Scottsdale. This would be different from all three and also closer to LAX than Big Sur or Scottsdale.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I'm really excited about this property. As others have mentioned, luxury beach front resorts in southern California are few and far between (and if you want to use points, even fewer and farther between), so I have high hopes for this property. It also looks to have a ton of standard rooms, so hopefully award availability will be decent.

How does the beach in front of the property compare to others in southern California? I've always liked the beach in front of the old St. Regis and Ritz, and Crystal Cove beach over by Pelican Hill is also great, although the surf can get pretty rough around the Ritz.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I'm really excited about this property. As others have mentioned, luxury beach front resorts in southern California are few and far between (and if you want to use points, even fewer and farther between), so I have high hopes for this property. It also looks to have a ton of standard rooms, so hopefully award availability will be decent.

How does the beach in front of the property compare to others in southern California? I've always liked the beach in front of the old St. Regis and Ritz, and Crystal Cove beach over by Pelican Hill is also great, although the surf can get pretty rough around the Ritz.
South Ponto Beach is excellent. Looking forward to staying here!
Old Jun 28, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
North county SD doesn't compare to the beach in front of the Ritz. I've lived in SD and OC for 35 years.
TSTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm curious as to the access to South Ponto Beach. The hotel is perched high on a hill overlooking the ocean, so it seems to me it will be a steep hike down to the beach.

The Coast Highway that runs by the hotel leads to a host of small delightful restaurants down thru Leucadia and thru old Encinitas. I like this area very much. And if you want to drive north, it's a beautiful drive along the water to Carlsbad and its restaurant area on State Street.
24.05.2004 and River in Sight like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:34 pm

Property is now accepting reservations from March 20, 2021. It's a Cat 6; no award nights available yet.

Note to mods: thread should be renamed to Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas
Old Oct 22, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm curious as to the access to South Ponto Beach.
The site of my week-long high school graduation party mumble-mumble-mumble years ago. Ah, the [fragments of] memories! 😜
Old Oct 27, 2020, 8:14 am

Award nights now available.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold
Thoughts on why the One Bedroom Suite Coastline View with Firepit is a lower category than the One Bedroom Suite with Ocean View? I would think that the firepit would command a premium. Unless the later has it as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.