Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Cancellation policy changed after reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA

Looking at the reservations in my account on Hyatt.com recently I noticed that the cancellation policies for some reservations I made 9 months ago had changed.

The reservations are for HR Kyoto in late Nov of this year. I made the reservations almost a year in advanced because this is peak foliage time in Kyoto and rates really go up and rooms get sold out very early.

When I made the reservations the cancellation policy was the hotel's normal policy of "cancel by 2 pm hotel time 24 hours prior to arrival", as stated on my confirmation e-mail.

But now looking at my reservations online, the cancellation policy is indicated as "7 days prior 20%, 3 days prior 100%".

Since I have the e-mail confirmations with the original cancellation policy, I'm confident that the hotel will honour that if I need to cancel close in, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of thing at other properties.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
I had the same problem as you. I booked Hyatt Regency Kyoto from 23 Nov - 1 Dec back in March using Club at the Hyatt rate (no charge if cancel 24 hours before), but the cancellation policy changed around April (7 days prior 20%, 3 days prior 100%). I contacted Hyatt Regency Kyoto and they said it's strange that goldpassport displayed a different cancellation policy but on their system it's still showing the original cancellation policy (no charge if cancel 24 hours before).

So I think you needn't to worry too much as you still have the original confirmation email. If you are still worried, you can either contact the hotel in advance or PM me for help if a problem arises.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kuponuts
I had the same problem as you. I booked Hyatt Regency Kyoto from 23 Nov - 1 Dec back in March using Club at the Hyatt rate (no charge if cancel 24 hours before), but the cancellation policy changed around April (7 days prior 20%, 3 days prior 100%). I contacted Hyatt Regency Kyoto and they said it's strange that goldpassport displayed a different cancellation policy but on their system it's still showing the original cancellation policy (no charge if cancel 24 hours before).

So I think you needn't to worry too much as you still have the original confirmation email. If you are still worried, you can either contact the hotel in advance or PM me for help if a problem arises.
Thanks. I'm actually not worried at all. I stay at HR Kyoto 10-15 times a year, so they know me pretty well. In any case the hotel is very accommodating and I can't imagine anyone having a problem there with this type of thing.

I was just wondering if it happens with other properties, and if it does, has anyone ever had a problem with it.

I rather imagine that it just another glitch with Hyatt.com The rate details, cancellation policy, etc., should only show up as what was on the original reservation, but in this case where the hotel has changed its cancellation policy for a peak period at a later date, the new policy is showing up on my GP reservation list.

The foliage will likely be at its peak during your entire stay. The last few years it has never peaked until around the 23rd (easy to remember because that is a holiday, which is wasted on a Sat this year), and has stretched through the first week of December.

Maybe we'll see you there; right now I have 16th and 23rd booked if we decided just to do the weekends and the 26th and 27th if I decide to take a few days off work.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
One of the advantages of being a top tier elite is that those pesky cancellation charges tend to disappear. I have cancelled more than a couple of hotel reservations past the cancellation date - including nonrefundable bookings - and I haven't been charged. That's been with Marriott, Hyatt, and Starwood. I used to call about cancelling past the refund time but the last few times I've cancelled, I've just done it via the internet and still haven't been charged. Your results may vary.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
One of the advantages of being a top tier elite is that those pesky cancellation charges tend to disappear. I have cancelled more than a couple of hotel reservations past the cancellation date - including nonrefundable bookings - and I haven't been charged. That's been with Marriott, Hyatt, and Starwood. I used to call about cancelling past the refund time but the last few times I've cancelled, I've just done it via the internet and still haven't been charged. Your results may vary.
I thought a nonrefundable booking was prepaid at the time of booking? Do you receive a refund after cancellation?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I thought a nonrefundable booking was prepaid at the time of booking? Do you receive a refund after cancellation?
The billing of an "advance purchase" rate seems to be up to the hotel. In the past I've booked that type of rate several times at HR Kyoto and at a number of Hiltons in Japan, as well as some properties in Hawaii and Europe, and was never billed until check-out at the end of the stay. One exception was Hilton Fukuoka and one special GP promo at HR Kyoto.

I myself would be hesitant to cancel an advance purchase booking online without contacting the hotel. On the other hand, I've never been charged for the half dozen or so times that I've cancelled a nonrefundable rate, but I've always had an honest reason (failed flight connections due to weather, personal illness, the bird flu mini-epidemic).
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Not only is this contractually wrong, but worst is the fact that it ruins trust in a hotel and a brand. Shameful.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Not only is this contractually wrong, but worst is the fact that it ruins trust in a hotel and a brand. Shameful.
I really think it is just a glitch with Hyatt's world-class website. It might be automatically changing the policy on existing reservations when the hotel changes its policy for new reservations.

kuponuts said that when he contacted the hotel, the hotel said their system was still showing the original terms as booked.

Still, even if it is a glitch, it is one more little irritating thing to deal with, and if you have lots of reservations that change like this, it could be hard to keep track of exactly what terms you're booked under.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Yes, I've prepaid for rooms in the past and then cancelled the rooms. I wasn't expecting a refund but have been given them in the past.

My most recent occurrence was at the Vienna, Austria Marriott. I also cancelled a few European Starwood reservations this last summer past the cancellation date and was never charged for the stays. I was expecting to have to pay for those cancelled reservations but the hotels did not charge me.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
soonerfanatic I think that is a bit harsh. the computer just seems to change all the reservations.
but if one has the original booking printed out then I have never ever had a problem. i had the same thing happen in Sydney for new years eve I had a 4 pm cancellation right up till 31 dec then it changed to a non cancellable.
it would not have been a problem as I had the original printout .
though I did actually not cancel it.
I also had the holiday inn old sydney booked and that also changed the cancellation policy for the same year I cancelled it at midday on NYE when my friends decided not to come in. i had no problems with the refund of points it was instantaneous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.