Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Maximizing Northern Virginia / DC / MD Hyatt mattress runs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

I've found scattered tips for maximizing NoVa / DC / MD properties in the various MASTER review threads (cheap rates, reliably closed clubs, etc.), but nothing central. Two favorites to get things rolling:

Park Hyatt DC -> $100 food & beverage through FHR + $35 per person diamond breakfast makes this a very indulgent option
Hyatt House Falls Church/Merrifield -> cheap, new, free parking, next to Angelika indie theater / Mosaic center
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:38 pm

Hyatt Place Herndon/Dulles East- newer HP with clean rooms. They offer shuttle service
to the nearby Air & Space Museum.

Hyatt Dulles- very close to IAD. I have booked stays here for $59 on some weekends .
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
The two older Hyatt Places (converted AmeriSuites) can often be had for around $60 on weekends. The HP Dulles North is very close to the Dulles Town Center mall and other shopping areas. Plenty of food options nearby. The HP Dulles South is in a small strip mall with a number of restaurants. It is further away from shopping options, but nothing is very far in the Dulles corridor along Route 28. I have stayed at both many times, and they are fine. The HP Dulles East is fairly new and a purpose built HP as described. It is not near much of anything except the Sheraton next door (they share shuttles). It usually seems to price out higher than the other two HPs.

They Hyatt Dulles is quite nice and is across the road from the HP Dulles East. Very nice breakfast buffet. If you can get an upgrade to one of the Hypoallergenic suites, you will get a bit larger room with a refrigerator and air cleaner. Note that this property is often used by student and youth groups, so it can take quite a while to get or even get to the elevator when a group is staying there.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:50 am

Lots of great weekend options in the NoVa/DC area but rates really pick up when Spring arrives. So now is a good time to bank some stays.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
This area, especially out near IAD on the weekends can be had very cheap in most major chains. Some rates approach a level to just buy a mattress run without staying. If you're coming in from out of town and need multiple chain stays look around. You may find rates in the 60s for hyatt, hilton and spg all the same night. Stay in the one you get the upgrade/benefits/etc.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Aside from the various airport shuttles, are any of these accessible by public transportation?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rfrost
Aside from the various airport shuttles, are any of these accessible by public transportation?
Buses only. The metro does not go this far out.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Lets keep this focused on NoVa / DMV Hyatts even though there are lots of good options for generating stays with other chains as well .

I know that the Hyatt Places only give a 500 point Diamond amenity bonus and no chance of 2500 points for weekend club closure like some of the other local options. Anything else like this to consider?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:39 pm

Living in Northern Virginia, I'm intrigued by this. When does it become worth doing a mattress run for Hyatt? Ie. how often would one need to stay at a Hyatt to make it worth while?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Room upgrades, breakfast, & club access at nicer properties while on holiday have made it more than worth it for me to keep diamond status especially when there are a lot of cheap stay credits available locally.

So far this month I've thoroughly enjoyed my diamond status at the Grand Berlin, Regency Dusseldorf, Park Vendome Paris, & Park DC - but that's totally off topic
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm in DC for work 4-5 times a year, and if the trips are Thu/Fri I always try to stay until Sunday and stay at a different property on Friday and Saturday nights. I'm a big fan of HR Dulles on a Friday night - comfortable rooms, good breakfast, free parking, short drive over to Reston Town Center. And sometimes it's cheaper to fly out Saturday at noon than trying to fly out on Friday night.

Looking at this weekend coming up, almost every Hyatt property in the metro DC area has a rate of < $107 for Friday night. HR Crystal City is higher (probably a conference) and obviously PH is higher.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
The Hyatt House hotels in Sterling and Herndon can be had on the cheap too.

Hyatt Fair Lakes is near the Hyatt Place South for an easy 2 stay weekend, but even with the remodeled lobby/bar/restaurant, which are nice, I cannot recommend Fair Lakes based on the all around atrocious service and poor management follow up. Hyatt Place South on the other hand is a parking lot away from some good Vietnamese food

Last edited by thegrailer; Feb 1, 2013 at 1:00 am
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

If there's a particularly cheap rate out near Dulles could you book a block of nights then just check-in the first night? Anyone foresee any problems getting stay credit for a 2-4 night stay you wouldn't actually be present for?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA AA LifetimePLT-2MM; SPG Platinum; HHDiamond
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
What's FHR?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tobster
What's FHR?
AmEx Fine Hotels and Resorts program for those with Platinum and Centurion cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.