Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Group rate HIGHER than online rate?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to book about 200-250 room nights at a Hyatt property... the prepaid online rate is ~$260; the non-prepaid rate is $305, and the "group" rate I'm getting is $399. Is this normal?? I've never booked a group and had the group rate be higher than the online rate!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by crimson12
I'm looking to book about 200-250 room nights at a Hyatt property... the prepaid online rate is ~$260; the non-prepaid rate is $305, and the "group" rate I'm getting is $399. Is this normal?? I've never booked a group and had the group rate be higher than the online rate!
This sounds like the type of assignment that an in-house revenue manager at the subject property could best help you with.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I assume that the nonprepaid rate you're quoting is the current such rate being offered for reservations made far in advance when the hotel has few bookings for the dates. A better comparison would be to rack rates or some notion of the typical rates for close in bookings around the time of your meeting.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Why would the current comparison be close-in? If I want to book 6 months from now, isn't the proper comparison to the non-prepaid rate for those same dates, 6 months from now?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Why would the current comparison be close-in? If I want to book 6 months from now, isn't the proper comparison to the non-prepaid rate for those same dates, 6 months from now?

I would have expected the group rate to be closer to $305. However, it often happens that hotels will charge higher rates for meetings/ conferences.. depends how good your negotiation skills are, since it's a negotiable rate right?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:39 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
In many cases the group rate is higher to cover the "free" meeting space a group requires. In other cases the hotel sales department believes that the Pay-In-Advance rate applies to people spending their own money while the group rate applies to people who are on expense accounts.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
In many cases the group rate is higher to cover the "free" meeting space a group requires. In other cases the hotel sales department believes that the Pay-In-Advance rate applies to people spending their own money while the group rate applies to people who are on expense accounts.
Yup. Often it's the meeting organizers are too blame -- they are the ones who ask the hotel to bundle the meeting space into the room price the group pays.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

That's weird/interesting, because in my case I need only sleeping rooms, no meeting space.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Groups are a negotiation. Go negotiate, using the data points you've got. Understand that the rate you're being quoted may be high because they don't really want your group if you're not purchasing meeting space, food& beverage and the like.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
In many cases the group rate is higher to cover the "free" meeting space a group requires.
Some group rates cover free suites or suite upgrades for VIPs and some number of free sleeping rooms (e.g., one free for every 15 booked).
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dayone
Some group rates cover free suites or suite upgrades for VIPs and some number of free sleeping rooms (e.g., one free for every 15 booked).
All coming down to reading the contract for a group booking very carefully. There may be included items about which OP doesn't care (free rooms, suite UG's, food & bev. credit, meeting space, Internet, phone).

All of these may have great value in one setting and no value in another.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
All coming down to reading the contract for a group booking very carefully. There may be included items about which OP doesn't care (free rooms, suite UG's, food & bev. credit, meeting space, Internet, phone).

All of these may have great value in one setting and no value in another.
For meetings and room blocks that aren't huge conferences, most contracts have a reservation deadline about one month in advance of arrival and most participants don't book very far in advance of that. They might wait until the final program has been announced or coordinate their flights and hotel reservation, booking both at the same time (and not purchasing plane tickets far in advance when the reimbursement will occur after the travel). On some airlines (for example, DL) purchasing the plane ticket too early can make it more expensive; about a month ahead is frequently observed to be the best time.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
All good, spot-on, advice. You've got to negotiate from there because simple shopping by your prospects will cause a hemorrhage from your block. And watch the penalty in the fine print for not meeting the block.

I almost paid dearly for that "transgression" once. Once. "Almost" because my meetings person negotiated my cockles out of the fire ex post facto. But not before letting them roast for a while, so I wouldn't forget the lesson.

Finally, since it sounds like you don't do this much (with great respect - many here have been there) suggest you pay attention to what chain hotels are nearby. Everyone belongs to loyalty programs nowadays. 'S what bit me.

Last edited by Firewind; Dec 8, 2012 at 1:23 pm
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Free Advice From Limited Experience

Do not fall in love with a single chain or hotel. Verify their ability to deliver on a good price, but shop the meeting around. A qualified meeting planner may help you in this regard if only because they know group booking channels, but verify their ability to deliver.

It is possible to try and book too small a group into too large a hotel, or too extravagant a hotel for what you are trying to do. If your block will not be a significant booking for them they will not be motivated, in fact they may not really want you. Try a smaller hotel.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:48 am

How many rooms are available @ $265 or $305?
Likely not all 250 that you need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.