FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1402179-andaz-amsterdam-prinsengracht-review-master-thread.html)

FD1971 Dec 8, 2012 6:09 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 19817691)
So now you're stooping as low as comparing rates that are non-existent to somehow validate your preconceived point that the Andaz is crap?
For what dates is that magical €140 rate you are talking about? Nothing seems to go for less than €200 and that is for one of their crappy "classic" rooms. You know, one of those broom closets they sell.

Is it really surprising that four days after the sale started most of the ultra-cheap inventory is gone?

140 for the Pulitzer is like 300 for Vendome...

Preconceived?

Toured the property, was shown all I needed to see and that's about it...

Not really rocket science to predict, maybe even preconceive that the Andaz in AMS will go the London, maybe even Barsey way...

That would at least give us some reasinable rates, albeit only for the weekend periods...

So once again, this is by no means a terrible hotel.

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 19751869)
For me the only disappointment has to do with the rates they charge....

But as you have pointed out as well, it is too expensive and even as a Diamond, one should not expect a suite or anything special ( e.g. free parking as originally communicated by a hotel, a $ 60-90 value per night in the neigborhood... )

Without any doubt whatsoever, no fellow FT'er should pay more than $ 400 to stay at the Andaz Amsterdam, especially if you find a very good value and save ~ $ 200-250 at the Pulitzer up or down the canal.

So under the bottom line, a very solid hotel ( as expected ) but poor communication and no hype whatsoever around the property at all...

If a new Hyatt opens its doors in Europe, there is excitement, people are looking forward to stay there, but so far in and around AMS, there is really nothing, except the fact that the place is overpriced. And even the latest opening in DUS was not without any problems.

We are still talking about the Andaz Amsterdam and not a Holiday Inn Express Charleroi-East

777 global mile hound Dec 8, 2012 7:15 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 19817663)
Unfortunately, you overestimate the aura of the Andaz brand completely.

It did not really shine in London and even the name Hyatt does not ring a lot of bells in Europe, let alone AMS.

The Pulitzer, featured not only in Hollywood movies, but also various documentaries about Amsterdam certainly plays in another league..., both in terms of reputation but also brand value.

Euro 140 is excellent value, even for some weekdays in Amsterdam, an ordinary Holiday Inn comes close to that price.

I do not see anyone paying a 100% premium for the Andaz, that goes for status card holders as well as regular customers...

And why should you pay so much more?

For free parking, constant suite upgrades, nice club lounge, spacious rooms?

Andaz Amsterdam and Andaz Wall Street are my favorites followed by Andaz 5th Avenue
They are pricey.In New York sometimes unafordable.One has to look hard for good weekend rates

I didn't care for the London Andaz property at all.In fact I probably will never go back.The entire property is awkward.
Certainly I admire some of its team members however the food and beverage was really poor as was the restaurant service
The mini bar selection was unacceptable too free or paid.The only thing I liked was the beds.
The location wasn't my preference either

Amsterdam has historically been an overpriced city however Andaz Amsterdam is very special.
It's Pulitzer without the numerous problems .I stayed there when it was the Sheraton Pullitzer in the 90s up till maybe 2 years ago

Andaz Amsterdam for today a team that really gets the Hyatt hospitable guest culture
It’s too early to see when and if their best team members depart what it might be in 5 years
In my years of visiting Amsterdam it already is one of my favorite hotels ever in the city.

My list personal preference in Amsterdam include
The Sofitel Grand
Swissotel
Andaz Amsterdam
The Amstel InterContinental
(Location lacking/old world stuffy and formal service but nice none the less)

"For free parking, constant suite upgrades, nice club lounge, spacious rooms?"

Who has free parking and club lounge?
I agree 140 Euros is a good rate for the Pulitzer but that hasn't been the ADR more typically over the past years when I have checked
No comparison for me I'm a big Andaz Amsterdam fan.

Trip Advisor Traveler rating out of 14 reviewers for Andaz Amsterdam

Excellent
Very good

FD1971 Dec 9, 2012 1:38 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 19818211)

"For free parking, constant suite upgrades, nice club lounge, spacious rooms?"

Who has free parking and club lounge?
I agree 140 Euros is a good rate for the Pulitzer but that hasn't been the ADR more typically over the past years when I have checked
No comparison for me I'm a big Andaz Amsterdam fan.

Trip Advisor Traveler rating out of 14 reviewers for Andaz Amsterdam

Excellent
Very good

Place 27 on Tripadvisor fits somehow, as explained before, very disappointing start for a Hyatt in Europe, which normally has at last a Top 10rating, in some cases significantly better...

Free parking was originally promised by the hotel, until they changed their mind, would have added quite some value to the property.

A club lounge would add some value to the place as well as suite upgrades for Diamond members...

At this point and price tag, there is simply not enough value to recommend the property and this is probably the most disappointing conclusion for the Andaz after some weeks, given the fact that the Pulitzer is not without any issues.

I expected the rates to be in the current price range and also predicted that the hotel has a lot of potential to receive poor reviews, unfortunately it seems that I was right :(

777 global mile hound Dec 9, 2012 2:56 am

:D

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 19822236)
Place 27 on Tripadvisor fits somehow, as explained before, very disappointing start for a Hyatt in Europe, which normally has at last a Top 10rating, in some cases significantly better...

Free parking was originally promised by the hotel, until they changed their mind, would have added quite some value to the property.

A club lounge would add some value to the place as well as suite upgrades for Diamond members...

At this point and price tag, there is simply not enough value to recommend the property and this is probably the most disappointing conclusion for the Andaz after some weeks, given the fact that the Pulitzer is not without any issues.

I expected the rates to be in the current price range and also predicted that the hotel has a lot of potential to receive poor reviews, unfortunately it seems that I was right :(

Unfortunately Andaz the brand doesn't want to offer Club Lounges in any of their hotels.They want to try and be like the W and other boutique brands with a cool factor.
I think this is a big mistake.Some hotel company is going to figure out how to make a club lounge fun hip and trendy that is a great social gathering place to see and be seen with outstanding food and beverage.When they do its going to be really big because no W or Andaz property does it

Andaz is too new to place higher in the scores. It’s also a small hotel with a brand that isn't known in the region. As it catches on more folks have interest and stay and drive ratings
Unless something changes the property is going to clearly climb in the statistical ratings and regretfully likely stay expensive for many.
There was a recent article that praising a hotel on a social media site like Trip Advisor will actually raise prices in many hotels.
I guess it pays to remain silent ;)

I found good respectable value at the Andaz Amsterdam so value is in the eyes of the beholder.
I do think food and beverage has serious problems and that is something I haven't covered yet in my previous review.
Andaz Amsterdam is also vastly better than the Pulitzer which I absolutely dislike in everyway
However the hotel this early on is always a work in progress and the personalized level of service is significant of the best ever experienced in Amsterdam.
I'm looking forward to hearing from others who stay here

RTW1 Dec 9, 2012 2:59 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 19822390)

Wise words... I'm getting a bit tired from reading reviews/comments in a review thread from people who haven't actually stayed at the property.

FD1971 Dec 9, 2012 3:49 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 19822397)
Wise words... I'm getting a bit tired from reading reviews/comments in a review thread from people who haven't actually stayed at the property.

Well, basically these reviews repeat exactly what you have pointed out before... :p

FD1971 Dec 9, 2012 3:56 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 19822390)
:D

Unfortunately Andaz the brand doesn't want to offer Club Lounges in any of their hotels.They want to try and be like the W and other boutique brands with a cool factor.
I think this is a big mistake.Some hotel company is going to figure out how to make a club lounge fun hip and trendy that is a great social gathering place to see and be seen with outstanding food and beverage.When they do its going to be really big because no W or Andaz property does it

Andaz is too new to place higher in the scores. It’s also a small hotel with a brand that isn't known in the region. As it catches on more folks have interest and stay and drive ratings
Unless something changes the property is going to clearly climb in the statistical ratings and regretfully likely stay expensive for many.
There was a recent article that praising a hotel on a social media site like Trip Advisor will actually raise prices in many hotels.
I guess it pays to remain silent ;)

I found good respectable value at the Andaz Amsterdam so value is in the eyes of the beholder.
I do think food and beverage has serious problems and that is something I haven't covered yet in my previous review.
Andaz Amsterdam is also vastly better than the Pulitzer which I absolutely dislike in everyway
However the hotel this early on is always a work in progress and the personalized level of service is significant of the best ever experienced in Amsterdam.

So you say that the Andaz Amsterdam offers good value at $400?

The basic room at the Andaz is nicer than the basic room at the Pulitzer, starting a category up, including suites, the Andaz does not even come close and I fear that I have seen enough rooms at both properties. And once again, as long as we are not talking about comparable price levels, there is hardly any sense discussing the subject... :eek:

I also not see why more reviews will drive ratings up, as pointed out before, the standard rooms are small, face the courtyard, there is hardly anything else which excites the customer ( we probably agree that a $ 400 a night hotel in Amsterdam should offer a spa, bar, restaurant, fitness center of a certain standard, especially if it is brand new! ) , there is no lounge, there will be no suites for Diamond customers and there will be many more customers who felt that they overpaid massively, both in terms of $$$ and a less so in terms of points...

I can already predict that the Hyatt Place AMS will have more positive reviews, due to a better price performance ratio...

I also predict the same problems Hyatt faced in Barsey, huge physical limitations, no club, no real spa, no upgrades that would increase the loyalty of certain customers, but at least Barsey was cheap.

777 global mile hound Dec 9, 2012 10:23 am

Andaz Amsterdam cost deconstructed the long version

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 19822508)
So you say that the Andaz Amsterdam offers good value at $400?

The basic room at the Andaz is nicer than the basic room at the Pulitzer, starting a category up, including suites, the Andaz does not even come close and I fear that I have seen enough rooms at both properties. And once again, as long as we are not talking about comparable price levels, there is hardly any sense discussing the subject... :eek:

I also not see why more reviews will drive ratings up, as pointed out before, the standard rooms are small, face the courtyard, there is hardly anything else which excites the customer ( we probably agree that a $ 400 a night hotel in Amsterdam should offer a spa, bar, restaurant, fitness center of a certain standard, especially if it is brand new! ) , there is no lounge, there will be no suites for Diamond customers and there will be many more customers who felt that they overpaid massively, both in terms of $$$ and a less so in terms of points...

I can already predict that the Hyatt Place AMS will have more positive reviews, due to a better price performance ratio...

I also predict the same problems Hyatt faced in Barsey, huge physical limitations, no club, no real spa, no upgrades that would increase the loyalty of certain customers, but at least Barsey was cheap.

There will be a spa at Andaz Amsterdam
I'm not sure it will be up to standards however it looked nice even if not opened.
The bar and restaurant lovely and food even with some early teething problems vastly superior in most of my sampling to anything ever experienced at the Pulitzer.
The quality standard in all regards is much nicer then the Pulitzer for my tastes and brand spanking new/clean no comparison in any way except location and garden courtyard
and like everything in Amsterdam next to a canal :)Yes suites will be tough so I reccomend to folks confirm them and don't dawdle like I did thinking they had a dozen or more they dont!:eek:
Actually decided to look at what I paid more closely as a result of your post
I paid two nights on revenue at a rate of 243.00 Euros which converts to approx 314.00 US dollars per night plus the additional 5% city tax and a one night redemption on points @ 18,000.
While not an amazing value on either the hotel itself provided exceptional value in their end product and service delivery.

Long after the stay I feel like I started a valuable relationship
with a hotel that cares about and values me as a guest
A hotel where I can safely send other business and leisure travelers knowing they are going to have for the most part a marvelous time and a special experience.
More importantly be well looked after.In that regard and for today Andaz Amsterdam is in a class by itself with the best of many hotels in the world.
They actually care..........That may not be forever but thats why i urge travelers to go now while this exceptional team and its current management is on board

The Pulitzer can only dream of delivering great service.
I spent 15 years in that property and truly hated it staying only out of my loyalty to Starwood the program.
If you have questions read through the archives what guests frequently said about their greedy business culture and meager recognition.
They make the poster Child of bad business behavior the typically complained about InterContinental Sydney look generous to their frequent stay guests.
Yes the Pulitzer improved over the past 5 years but the problem is they are still conducting the nickle and dime good enough
whatever its the way it is business behavior common to the region for many decades.
Thats why I dreamed of having a Hyatt in this market for so many years!

Some of my friends and colleagues

would never spend that much for a hotel nor appreciate the magic of Andaz Amsterdam and might have buyer’s remorse
staying there as the price range would not be in their comfort zone.
Early indicators say Andaz is already and going to be a big hit.
Part of that success is again the team who doesn’t see themselves as good as they really are.
They are humble and willing to do whatever it takes to please a guest in a market known for whatever its the way we do things here
Its a local Dutch culture thing in my own experience.Andaz has changed all that at least for today.
Sure the 240ish Euro rate is a bit steep however when I compare it to New York or even London two of the most over priced cities in the world it’s still within reason based on what I received.
Will it keep out the price sensitive? Absolutely.
If I wasn’t a Diamond I’d probably head for the Marriott/Radisson Blu/Crowne Plaza/Swissotel or other brands that can more reasonable
But at least in my selfish case having the breakfast included as a top tier member is huge especially had I been traveling with friends or loved ones.

Amsterdam food and beverage

has always seen exorbitant in my eyes especially for what most food and beverage experience can be like.
In other European cities the food may be expensive but it’s frequently really good.
I paid 230 at JFK in New York recently and had a poor quality hotel in recently renovated hotel with a stingy breakfast.
I have made a personal investment in Hyatt so I am more likely to use revenue.

I am reaching towards my lifetime Diamond status.
Because I am so close I see value in that so when I retire one day I do not have to stay to keep top tier stay/nights requirement up
When I stay at Andaz in New York I typically see rates of 300 to 500 plus enormous fees and taxes additional.Do I like paying those rates no.
However Amsterdam has been historically a very expensive city especially after the conversion to the Euro oddly when many merchants and to this day appeared to hike prices after the Dutch Guilders were eliminated.I typically turn to points unless and this is a big unless the service, the product and the recognition make me feel the value is worth it to pay revenue earn points and as I did in this last quarter.
Ten years ago I wouldn’t pay 300 plus a night as I didn’t have it for my travel budget
Most folks I know even some corporate folks some who have millions in net worth or don’t prefer to pay over 200 a night in lodging costs.
But these are some tough times for price sensitive travelers with higher demand in many markets and daily rates sky rocketing.
I am really fortunate I leveraged my good fortune in the years when programs were generous with promotions and rates were more reasonable.

In closing to answer your question
Trip Advisor does not use statistical scores alone to drive placement in rankings.My understanding its demand in search, with high review scores.
If it was just high review scores Andaz would already be in the top ten.Its a great hotel and folks early on self included are thrilled to have it in the Hyatt portfolio of hotels ^
That is why you sometimes see a blah Courtyard rated higher than a great value luxury hotel.Let the buyer beware!

FD1971 Dec 10, 2012 4:42 am

First reports of BRG claims are coming in.

Including the 20% discount, the Andaz goes for Euro 170+ now on some days.

Still 20% more expensive than the Pulitzer, but at least a more realistic price for the property.

Still not really a good value for money, but at least more appropriate for what is actually offered for both regular and Diamond members.

Minstral Dec 16, 2012 8:27 am

I stayed here I think about a week after it opened, my first stay in an Andaz, I used a suite upgrade and was very happy with my stay...the staff hanging around the front entrance were a bit overwhelming at first but came to be very welcoming over my four day stay...very helpful with ideas for touring/shopping/eating...breakfast was great each morning...one dinner I had there was good (although I did find out I don't care for steak tartar - it's supposed to be very good and was highly recommended but my palate is still developing)...I enjoyed the suite, no view, but plenty of room for relaxing as a solo traveler and comes with several different books on Amsterdam including guides...I loved the neighborhood...not far at all from the Prinzegracht tram stop and certainly within walking distance of Liedesplein...definitely will stay again.

777 global mile hound Dec 16, 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Minstral (Post 19866515)
I stayed here I think about a week after it opened, my first stay in an Andaz, I used a suite upgrade and was very happy with my stay...the staff hanging around the front entrance were a bit overwhelming at first but came to be very welcoming over my four day stay...very helpful with ideas for touring/shopping/eating...breakfast was great each morning...one dinner I had there was good (although I did find out I don't care for steak tartar - it's supposed to be very good and was highly recommended but my palate is still developing)...I enjoyed the suite, no view, but plenty of room for relaxing as a solo traveler and comes with several different books on Amsterdam including guides...I loved the neighborhood...not far at all from the Prinzegracht tram stop and certainly within walking distance of Liedesplein...definitely will stay again.

Great to hear and with only 11 posts welcome to the Hyatt forum ^
Hopefully many more to come
What did you think of the restaurant overall breakfast or dinner quailty and service?

Kvet01 Dec 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Pulitzer will be feeling feeling the heat - as a regular over there - I indeed see the prices dropping precipitously :-) - which is good for a limited time - prevents them from becoming too complacent - for some time. But Amsterdam has some nice new properties coming up - very good. Personally I would love to see a W - seems to be the place for it :-)

davidajeff Dec 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kvet01 (Post 19919309)
Pulitzer will be feeling feeling the heat - as a regular over there - I indeed see the prices dropping precipitously :-) - which is good for a limited time - prevents them from becoming too complacent - for some time. But Amsterdam has some nice new properties coming up - very good. Personally I would love to see a W - seems to be the place for it :-)

Apparently, there is a W hotel opening on Spuistraat and Paliestraat in the building Albert Heijn in is (great location, terrible building).

amejr999 Jan 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Would someone mind clarifying the shower/toilet privacy situation? I'm considering staying here with my mom and would prefer to avoid awkwardness :-)

Thanks.

cs1985 Feb 10, 2013 8:19 am

I´m looking forward to visit the Andaz in March. Unfortunately the rates are above 300 $... Has anybody ever found cheaper rates for that property?