FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Orange County (Anaheim) CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/135571-hyatt-regency-orange-county-anaheim-ca-review-master-thread.html)

ERQTraveler Jan 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13229690)
lbskinny is correct, if it is a one-bedroom suite they are all completely renovated... if it is a Conference King (sometimes called Executive King), none of them are completed yet. I prefer the Conference King rooms myself.

Great! Thank you for the reply.

Why do you like the conference king rooms? I have never been to this property.

ERQ

JonathanIT Jan 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by ERQTraveler (Post 13236270)
Why do you like the conference king rooms? I have never been to this property.

They are very large rooms with a king bed, large sitting area with two sofas and two chairs, and a large conference (or dining) table with 4-6 chairs. Lots of room to spread out. Plus, the views are great as they are north facing in the South Tower, on the upper floors with floor to ceiling windows. Very open, and bright with lots of light. They have twice the window area of all other rooms because they are twice the width.

The one odd thing is that many of these rooms have balconies, but the doors do not open (they overlook the large 17 story atrium). I am writing this post sitting in one right now. And after the long rainstorms can I say how beautiful the view is right now on a gorgeous and bright sunny SoCal day! :)

The 1-BR suites are rather small and confining IMHO. The living room where you enter has no windows, so is rather dim. The bedrooms are better with large windows but still feel small. On the lower floors in suites facing the lobby it is a bit strange because in the bedroom you are standing in front of floor to ceiling glass just above the lobby. It's like you are on display in a zoo! Really weird.

I think overall the Conference King rooms are much bigger area wise than the one bedroom suites, by at least 50%. At least it feels that way. :cool:

Note: all of these rooms are in the South Tower, where they have has just started on the room renovations. It looks like floor 17 and maybe floor 16 are now "locked off". This will limit availability of these rooms as they are all on the upper floors in the South Tower. I can't wait to see them after they are completed, they will be spectacular! It is also worthwhile to note that you shouldn't be hesitant or concerned about them currently being unrenovated... they are hardly worn and completley fine.

srodr Jan 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Stayed here on a $69 rate last weekend. Was given one of the family suites with a bunk-bed. Not the greatest room, but if we had kids along it would have been great. The breakfast was in the conference room, but the food was good. The lobby is extremely torn up, but it makes it worth it to get the hard-hat rate.

Other than the parking fee it was a good stay for the price.

Firewind Jan 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13240870)
The one odd thing is that many of these rooms have balconies, but the doors do not open (they overlook the large 17 story atrium).

Um, there was a story|legend many years ago that, lets say that what happened during two conferences I attended at Hyatts - one in Atlanta, and one in New Orleans - happened there. If it can be any tougher on little kids, a lot more little kids stay there... (Or maybe because there are so many kids who stay in those rooms.) Well, anyway, that may be your explanation.

On a better note, congratulations on being there on such a spectacular day!

Trustguy Jan 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13240870)
They are very large rooms with a king bed, large sitting area with two sofas and two chairs, and a large conference (or dining) table with 4-6 chairs. Lots of room to spread out. Plus, the views are great as they are north facing in the South Tower, on the upper floors with floor to ceiling windows. Very open, and bright with lots of light. They have twice the window area of all other rooms because they are twice the width.

The one odd thing is that many of these rooms have balconies, but the doors do not open (they overlook the large 17 story atrium). I am writing this post sitting in one right now. And after the long rainstorms can I say how beautiful the view is right now on a gorgeous and bright sunny SoCal day! :)

The 1-BR suites are rather small and confining IMHO. The living room where you enter has no windows, so is rather dim. The bedrooms are better with large windows but still feel small. On the lower floors in suites facing the lobby it is a bit strange because in the bedroom you are standing in front of floor to ceiling glass just above the lobby. It's like you are on display in a zoo! Really weird.

I think overall the Conference King rooms are much bigger area wise than the one bedroom suites, by at least 50%. At least it feels that way. :cool:

Note: all of these rooms are in the South Tower, where they have has just started on the room renovations. It looks like floor 17 and maybe floor 16 are now "locked off". This will limit availability of these rooms as they are all on the upper floors in the South Tower. I can't wait to see them after they are completed, they will be spectacular! It is also worthwhile to note that you shouldn't be hesitant or concerned about them currently being unrenovated... they are hardly worn and completley fine.

So, one question I have is whether the conference kings have a Disneyland fireworks view. Most, if not all, of the 1 br suites do not have a view of fireworks.

Hotel sells a Disney fireworks view room, BTW.

Kalboz Jan 24, 2010 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Trustguy (Post 13242836)
So, one question I have is whether the conference kings have a Disneyland fireworks view. Most, if not all, of the 1 br suites do not have a view of fireworks.

Hotel sells a Disney fireworks view room, BTW.

I believe they all are overlooking the atrium ... the photo below is from Conference suite 1503:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/4246488729/

I also like the conference suite due to its huge size with living room area and dining/conference table and six comfortable chairs although the "suite" still retains the old crt TV.

NDDomer86 Jan 24, 2010 1:40 am

From the looks of it, they went with a different color scheme than the original plans in the new rooms. Last time I stayed here, I was given a renovated show suite (I believe the only renovated room at the time, per the front desk) and the carpet was a weird patterned brown/tan with laces of green in it. It was rather interesting to say the least. I had pictures of it, but have unfortunately since lost that memory card.

Robt760 Jan 24, 2010 11:56 am

I haven't reviewed everything in this thread, but I will add some coments and feedback in the next few days.

The first advice I would give to anybody staying here is to have lunch or dinner at this nearby restaurant, which IMO is one of the best Thai restaurants in Southern California:

Thai Nakorn
12521 Garden Grove Blvd
Garden Grove CA 92834

It's located within 2 miles of the hotel and pretty much anything your order is stellar (taste, quality, portion) LMK if you need recommendations.

Kalboz Jan 24, 2010 12:41 pm

OT

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 13246009)
I haven't reviewed everything in this thread, but I will add some coments and feedback in the next few days.

The first advice I would give to anybody staying here is to have lunch or dinner at this nearby restaurant, which IMO is one of the best Thai restaurants in Southern California:

Thai Nakorn
12521 Garden Grove Blvd
Garden Grove CA 92834

I respectfully disagree with your opinion as I have dined at Thai Nakorn and did not find it special.

My recommendation, however, for authentic Thai food close to the Hyatt OC is:

Jumpa Thai Cuisine
12085 Brookhurst Street (@ Chapman)
Garden Grove, CA 92844
(714) 537-1076

At the Pavilion Plaza Shopping Center 2 miles west of the hotel. Try the fried fish, the sauteed eggplants and other favorite Thai dishes.

lbskinny Jan 25, 2010 3:23 pm

I was told sometime a while ago that the rooms for a view of the fireworks are in the South tower and the view is through the atrium windows BUT, I stayed in a kids suite (1065) a few weeks ago and had a great view of the fireworks - and the room did not face the atrium. It also had an outside windows in both rooms which is extra nice. (They still don't open) It was a bit smaller than the other kids suites but didn't matter to us. My husband and I stayed in one room and daughter and her friend in the bunk beds in the next room.
Stayed again this weekend with a friend and our kids in room 1061. It had two windows in the kids room only, one overlooking the atrium and one outside - we could see some fireworks so it was nice although our kids are so used to seeing them all the time that it doesn't matter too much. I liked this room because it was bigger and had double doors between the bedrooms. Plus having at least one window facing outside (not through the atrium) is nicer. I have never liked atrium rooms - at any Hyatt.

lbskinny

JonathanIT Jan 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Be aware there might be a picket line to cross...

It appears this property is involved in a labor dispute... about 11:00a this morning a large and boisterous contingent of laborers (and supporters) showed up with signs and began a picket line in front of the (temporary) main entrance. I think they were carrying signs referring to a carpenters union, although I can see (and hear) that the remodeling construction continues.

karung99 Jan 25, 2010 9:07 pm

Noisy

There Union picketing around 11 to noon, very noisy, the property is excellent. Breakfast is good serving at some kind of halls on left side.

Overall excellent deal!!!

Kalboz Jan 26, 2010 12:33 am

When I checked out around 11 AM, after a great breakfast (thank you Ms. Vivian), the rambunctious picketers hollered at me criticizing the property in a disparaging manner. I turned around and snapshot this photo as I walked away towards my vehicle:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/4306060966/

Robt760 Jan 26, 2010 1:50 am

Update to add:

+ I asked about bathroom sizes in the rooms and suites, and was told that all rooms have the same basic bathroom, same sized bath tub, with only slightly different actual space. To me they are quite petite, and the bathtubs are small.

+ The renovated King Suites have a mini microwave and refrigerator in-room, and have two LCD/HDTVs, with the living room taking the cake with (I'd guess) a 52" panel. There are plugs on the desk to hook up your computer, camera, etc. I didn't have all of my cables, and didn't try it.

+ The renovated King Suites have a separator door between the bedroom and living room, which helps cut some hallway noise, but not atrium noise if you are on that side of the building.

+ There are NO in-room safes in any of the rooms I have been in. Odd for a "convention" hotel.

+ Street parking (maybe I shouldn't tell everybody, but here goes) on Chapman, just West of the hotel is free and usually available (2 block walk) and the restrictions on both sides of the street are NO PARKING on Thursday from 5:00 AM - 9:00 AM.

+ Hyatt Gift Certificate was accepted at check in on my recent stay and posted as a credit immediately. I was on the AAA BRK rate.

+ I would rate the Hyatt Hotels in the area as follows:

HR Huntington Beach A-
HR Irvine B+
HR Orange County B
HR Newport Beach C-
HR Long Beach C

Kalboz Jan 26, 2010 2:06 am

Great report Robt760 thanks ^

I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned. The Kid's Suite, however, has three (3) LCD TVs, one in each bedroom and a large one in the living room. The bathroom, as you mentioned, is the same size as other suites/rooms in this hotel but you get two here.

See Kid's Suite # 772 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/

ERQTraveler Jan 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 13257733)
Update to add:

+ I would rate the Hyatt Hotels in the area as follows:

HR Huntington Beach A-
HR Irvine B+
HR Orange County B
HR Newport Beach C-
HR Long Beach C

Just curious... Why do you rate Irvine higher than OC? I stayed at both properties recently and found the properties to be equivalent (if you excuse the current renovation work). I agree - Huntington Beach is by the far the best out of all the OC properties.

ERQ

Robt760 Jan 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by ERQTraveler (Post 13260932)
Just curious... Why do you rate Irvine higher than OC? I stayed at both properties recently and found the properties to be equivalent (if you excuse the current renovation work). I agree - Huntington Beach is by the far the best out of all the OC properties.

ERQ

Irvine has: a Regency Club and Regency Level Rooms, the restaurant is almost 2x better, hardly any noise pollution, does the GP extras like Robes in the room, Business Center, in-room safe, free airport shuttle.

Both: Similar comfort level is about the same since both have comparable bedding.

Orange County: More possibility of suite upgrades, newer furnishings and LCD/HDTV, Free shuttle to Disney/area, decent restaurants within walking distance.

Heck, maybe I should have rated Orange County/GG with a B-.

JonathanIT Jan 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 13261295)
Irvine has: a Regency Club and Regency Level Rooms, the restaurant is almost 2x better, hardly any noise pollution, does the GP extras like Robes in the room, Business Center, in-room safe, free airport shuttle.

Both: Similar comfort level is about the same since both have comparable bedding.

Orange County: More possibility of suite upgrades, newer furnishings and LCD/HDTV, Free shuttle to Disney/area, decent restaurants within walking distance.

Heck, maybe I should have rated Orange County/GG with a B-.

I disagree, I much prefer the Hyatt OC. The Irvine has a RC, but it is almost never open (but then with the 2,500 points bonus this could be better). Closed weekends to "closed for the holidays" I have heard every excuse.

RC "level" rooms are hardly any better (and a suite upgrade beats this in every way).

Restaurant is not that much better at Irvine, nearly identical menus. OC has Steak & Eggs on the breakfast menu; Irvine does not (corned beef hash instead). The only way it was better was ambience and decor... but that is being corrected. They do not always have the breakfast buffet at the HR Irvine, only weekends or maybe high occupancy. It is always offered at OC.

And one other BIG difference: Irvine charges gratuity to your folio for "free" breakfast. OC does not (in fact the new Diamond "full" breakfast coupons retain the old language that gratuity is still included).

Hyatt OC has a business center... or rather computers/printers free for guests on the 2nd floor of the South Tower. Not fancy but you can print stuff for free in a pinch.

"More possibility" of a suite upgrade? More like nearly guaranteed 100% upgrade rate for Diamonds vs. 0% chance at HR Irvine. I even burned an upgrade cert once at Irvine. It was not worth it.

I would add that the staff at the OC Hyatt is much better and friendlier IME at OC. Although they are doing a lot of hiring and turnover right now so we will see how that goes.

Plus, on average rates are significantly cheaper at OC than Irvine I have found. We will also see how this goes after the renovation is complete... they might try a rate hike.

So... that leaves the robe and room safe. I rarely use either. I would rate Irvine B- and OC B+ or maybe even A- for the suite upgrades and renovations.

Just MHO.

Firewind Jan 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13261701)
Plus, on average rates are significantly cheaper at OC than Irvine I have found. We will also see how this goes after the renovation is complete... they might try a rate hike...

In my observation, the OC vs. Irvine rate picture flips at the weekend, almost all weekends.

I've always thought that the OC's rates were leavened by all the surrounding competition. If it were mainly quality, IMO, they could have charged more as is.

W2B Globetrotter Jan 26, 2010 3:50 pm

I would rate both the Hyatt OC and Irvine a solid B. Been to both frequently over the past 2 years. Each has its strong and weak points.

OC - terrific suite upgrade frequency (even got it as a lowly plat on a few occassions:))
IR - expect a mtn view room with balcony on club level at most for diamonds

Agree with Robt760, 6ix Park Grill at IR is far better (setting, food, atmosphere, with a fire-pit outdoor patio to boot) than the atrium restaurant at OC. Enjoy the bf buffet at IR more than OC even though the latter has an omelet station and includes gratuities (for AAA Breakf rate).

Except for those days when there's a large convention, when both hotels are awfully crowded, IR just feels much more peaceful/relaxing. Like the IR pool area better as well, which feels more resort-like than at OC. And fitness center at IR is fairly large and well equipped while OC's is mediocre.

But OC is very convenient to Anaheim tourist attractions and has the economical $69 hard hat rates, ideal for mattress runs. Lowest occassional wknd rates I've seen for IR were $89 though sometimes $99 with self parking included.

JonathanIT Jan 26, 2010 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 13262335)
I've always thought that the OC's rates were leavened by all the surrounding competition. If it were mainly quality, IMO, they could have charged more as is.

I agree. I think it is the best hotel in the resort area (with the exception of Disney's Grand Californian for a special occasion). The main Hilton Anaheim would be a contender if it weren't for the pathetic breakfast offering (at Sbux) for Diamonds since they closed the lounge. The new rooms there are nice and I've gotten some decent upgrades. The only drawback is the property is so huge and rambling. And also they have hiked their rates since their own renovation... there are less great deals there than there used to be.

JonathanIT Jan 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter (Post 13262373)
And fitness center at IR is fairly large and well equipped while OC's is mediocre.

Have you been recently? Although I have not been to the Irvine fitness center yet, I just went to to the OC fitness center a couple days ago. I was surprised because I had not been in a couple months (got lazy over the holidays).

The OC fitness center has expanded and is completely renovated. They actually annexed a guest room to double the size of the old one. The old room is now exclusively for weights/machines; the new half is where the cardio machines are. The entrance is now at the end of the hall instead of outside near the pool. They moved the hallway to the pool up a bit and it now leads outside before the entrance to the new fitness center. It's nice!

I agree the pool is a weakness at OC, but I rarely ever use hotel pools.

W2B Globetrotter Jan 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13262910)
Have you been recently? Although I have not been to the Irvine fitness center yet, I just went to to the OC fitness center a couple days ago. I was surprised because I had not been in a couple months (got lazy over the holidays).

The OC fitness center has expanded and is completely renovated. They actually annexed a guest room to double the size of the old one. The old room is now exclusively for weights/machines; the new half is where the cardio machines are. The entrance is now at the end of the hall instead of outside near the pool. They moved the hallway to the pool up a bit and it now leads outside before the entrance to the new fitness center. It's nice!

I agree the pool is a weakness at OC, but I rarely ever use hotel pools.

I'll check it out during my mattress run tonight:D

They must've renovated it recently cause I swear it wasn't there in Oct 09.

JonathanIT Jan 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter (Post 13262966)
I'll check it out during my mattress run tonight:D

They must've renovated it recently cause I swear it wasn't there in Oct 09.

I might see you there. ;)

And yes it's recently because Oct '09 was the last time I was there too! That's why I was so surprised it was already finished. lol

oc2005 Jan 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter (Post 13262373)
I would rate both the Hyatt OC and Irvine a solid B. Been to both frequently over the past 2 years. Each has its strong and weak points.

But OC is very convenient to Anaheim tourist attractions and has the economical $69 hard hat rates, ideal for mattress runs. Lowest occassional wknd rates I've seen for IR were $89 though sometimes $99 with self parking included.

I agree that OC and Irvine are very similar, fairly good quality (especially the redone rooms), and that the BIG advantage of OC are the rates going on right now. I can't remember the last time I saw a Hyatt in So Cal with $59 or $69 rates (before you subtract out Costco certificate savings!)

The So Cal Hyatt that really needs a remodel now is Newport Beach.

azepine00 Jan 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13263031)
I might see you there. ;)

That makes three of us :D Breakfast mini-DO?

JonathanIT Jan 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 13263936)

I'm up for that. ^ :)

youngbru Jan 27, 2010 10:45 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 13263936)

I could join in as well. I am there quite often as well. I have been alternating between IR & OC a lot to maximize FFN! I was in the OC last night (Tues) but will be in IR tonight then back to OC on Thurs.

youngbru Jan 27, 2010 10:46 am

Pickets

The picket line was back this morning. The hotel staff said that they were not there on Tuesday so I don't know how regular the picketing will be. They were noisy! But I went in and out of the back door by self-parking so I didn't have any interaction with them.

W2B Globetrotter Jan 27, 2010 10:46 am

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13262910)

Checked it out last night and you're right!^

It is significantly larger with new equipment. WOW. Pretty impressive renovation. Wish I had my camera to take pics and post here for others.

holtju2 Jan 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by youngbru (Post 13267480)
The picket line was back this morning. The hotel staff said that they were not there on Tuesday so I don't know how regular the picketing will be. They were noisy! But I went in and out of the back door by self-parking so I didn't have any interaction with them.

These people who are picketing there are just demonstrating because union shop did not win the contract with the hotel. They have never been employed by the Hyatt.

best Jan 27, 2010 3:53 pm

During the current renovations does Orange add a new RC lounge?

lbskinny Jan 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by best (Post 13269786)
During the current renovations does Orange add a new RC lounge?

I asked about this! and the answer is "No". They will not be adding a RC because with the amount of families that come through, they would be losing money. At least that's what the FD agent told me. :p

youngbru Jan 28, 2010 3:49 pm

In Hotel 1/28/10

There was talk of a mini-breakfast DO in OC. I will be staying there tonight, 1/28/10 and would be interested in having breakfast with other Flyertalkers tomorrw morning (Friday, 1/29). PM me if you are interested.

Kalboz Jan 28, 2010 7:07 pm

I am there tomorrow (29 Jan to 30 2010) and again on Sunday (31 Jan to Feb 1st) to clinch the Diamond until 2012.

Robt760 Jan 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Another minus for this location (as I sit here typing this)

+The desk chairs in the room are less than stellar. It's probably the one piece of furniture that has the look/style from 1990's. There is little (if no) back support!!

+Lighting is awkward in rooms. Nice that they chose energy efficient lighting, but, there's a lack of lighting overall.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users1...6495658297.jpg.

lbskinny Jan 31, 2010 8:45 am

I was talking to FD on my last check in and he said they were averaging around 70 diamond members a night this week! :D

rntraveller Feb 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Orange County Regency

Staying next week for daughters birthday, Im Diamond level will use a suite upgrade cert as there is only a couple of weeks left to use them up, what sort of suite do they normally upgrade to?

JonathanIT Feb 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by rntraveller (Post 13374507)
Staying next week for daughters birthday, Im Diamond level will use a suite upgrade cert as there is only a couple of weeks left to use them up, what sort of suite do they normally upgrade to?

As mentioned previously (maybe another thread) this property regularly upgrades Diamond members to suites... you do not need to use a certificate. I have even gotten family suites (two bedrooms, one with bunkbeds). Of course if you have no use for the expiring upgrades otherwise I guess it wouldn't hurt. Perhaps you could call the hotel and inquire about what your options are as a Diamond with an upgrade certificate.

Trustguy Feb 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13375127)
As mentioned previously (maybe another thread) this property regularly upgrades Diamond members to suites... you do not need to use a certificate. I have even gotten family suites (two bedrooms, one with bunkbeds). Of course if you have no use for the expiring upgrades otherwise I guess it wouldn't hurt. Perhaps you could call the hotel and inquire about what your options are as a Diamond with an upgrade certificate.

Good response! Hotel gets the Diamond thing and is good about accommodating folks. ^