Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yosithezet
What are the breakfast options outside around the hotel?
They are endless, you are in the french quarter.

My recommendation is cafe beignet. Theres one on bourbon street and one a couple of streets over on royal.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I recently finished a 6 night stay here -- a quick review since it seems like this page doesn't get all too many of them:

1. We got a free at check-in upgrade to their standard suite without asking -- This again is just a really big room and not a "true suite" which I know many people detest. However, I found the space to bequiteuseful and rather large, and getting an upgrade for a longer stay like that is pretty much unheard of in my experience. It shows me they understand that benefit which is nice to know. If I was to return with the kid, I would personally consider using a TSU just to secure the extra space for a rollaway and our stuff. Not the best use of a TSU, no, but sometimes you just need space!

2. The hardware has some oddities -- First, no bathtub (not that I care that much, but my partner does), Second -- there is some odd unevenness in the floors that makes walking through the hotel sober feel like a bourbon street experience, and third, the doors to the rooms have a rather large gap underneath. My room was on a farther hallway and it was a rather slow weak (off season, and Barry scared most people away), so I didn't personally get a ton of noise from the hallway but the gaps rather disturb me because it transmits sound easily from the hallway.

3. My room facing the pool courtyard didn't have too much sound coming from outside. Even when the pool was full of some screaming kids in the evening it was rather muted in the room. I did overhear people with street facing rooms complain about the amount of noise they had though.

4. I found ordering the breakfast off the menu at Powdered Sugar to be quite high in quality. Portions were good and it was all very fresh and tasty. I was charged for coffee and tax and tip (or something like that) the first three days, but for the last three days those charges were removed. Charging for these things is a violation of terms, but overall I was treated well enough that I don't care that much to fight those and have bigger battles to wage today.

5. I found room service food and pool service food to also be rather good. There are tons of great restaurants in New Orleans of course, so I felt ashamed about ordering food from the hotel at first, but honestly, the hotel food was all very worthwhile.

6. Service was good in the following ways :: All food related employees (breakfast, pool, and room service) were attentive and friendly and made sure everything is great; the room was always serviced sometime in the early afternoon when we were out and they did a good job; valet staff hustled to get a taxi whenever we needed one. On the other hand, the front desk never had more than 1 employee at it so if you needed any attention from them it was a wait even on a slow week, and it seems like they only had 1 or 2 porters ever as well so we didn't get any baggage help.

I scored a very good rate and so that helps make me happy overall with the stay. The location is mostly good (though FQ of course is right there, it's a little more of a trek over to the art galleries on Julia Street and the Ogden Museum and WWII museum compared to the HR or Eliza Jane). For the right rate, I will surely stay again but I don't personally see the justification for the oftentimes $100-200+ premium compared to the HR or HH.
Markie, bsdstone and AJLondon like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:54 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks for the great info!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Is there a lounge here? I'm thinking no based on lack of mention.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JetBlue Mosaic
No, no lounge here. Just breakfast at the "restaurant" downstairs for Globaslists.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:49 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

It’s my understanding that the Centric brand is not a brand featuring club lounges
More typically this is featured in Grand Hyatt’s Hyatt Regency’s and the very rare Park Hyatt
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by thepointsdr
No, no lounge here. Just breakfast at the "restaurant" downstairs for Globaslists.
Regular here. The breakfast is actually quite good if you order off the menu. Unlimited. Freshly cooked and tasty.

The setup is strange (feels rather like fast food in that you order at a counter) but the food is anything but...

Side note: best Hyatt in NOLA IMHO. Location is fantastic for virtually all tourist activities. Great little pool in a courtyard. Extremely quiet rooms available, etc... but not perfect: it’s a franchise so NOT Hyatt employees running it and service suffers as a result and it could use a renovation.

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Aug 6, 2019 at 5:32 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
It’s my understanding that the Centric brand is not a brand featuring club lounges
More typically this is featured in Grand Hyatt’s Hyatt Regency’s and the very rare Park Hyatt
The new Centric in Hong Kong has a lounge.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206

The new Centric in Hong Kong has a lounge.
Interesting thanks for sharing
I’ll assume the very rare exception rather than the rule
Hong Kong is an impressive hospitality city
Much like Park Hyatt Melbourne where local market conditions pressure them to provide more luxurious amenities
I find Centrics breakfast to be satisfactory just ok but not up to other full service Hyatt’s generally
Having said that I wouldn’t avoid them as I do with Hyatt Place and Hyatt House where the breakfast is not appealing personally

Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:52 pm

Interesting thanks for sharing
I’ll assume the very rare exception rather than the rule
Hong Kong is an impressive hospitality city
Much like Park Hyatt Melbourne where local market conditions pressure them to provide more luxurious amenities
I find Centrics breakfast to be satisfactory just ok but not up to other full service Hyatt’s generally
Having said that I wouldn’t avoid them as I do with Hyatt Place and Hyatt House where the breakfast is not appealing personally

Can’t disagree more. I’ve stayed at four Centrics (Nola, Key West, Times Square, and South Beach) and all four served a nice Globalist breakfast: good quality food, order off the menu, unlimited within reason, etc. I see no real difference in food quality between Regency’s and these four Centrics.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:55 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Can’t disagree more. I’ve stayed at four Centrics (Nola, Key West, Times Square, and South Beach) and all four served a nice Globalist breakfast: good quality food, order off the menu, unlimited within reason, etc. I see no real difference in food quality between Regency’s and these four Centrics.
Agree on Key West, TSQ and South Beach.
But breakfast at French Quarter Centric is just awful. Will never stay at this hotel again (for other reasons as well which I posted somewhere here in this thread.)
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:43 pm

No right or wrong really Its all subjective in the end and to what you order even in the best restaurants.
I've had some extraordinary meals in my decades of travel and quite spoiled in and out of Hyatt Hotels
Having said that chefs change,menus change and reliable data points good today aren't necessarily good a week from now.
I had breakfast at the Red Marlin @ Hyatt Regency Mission Bay a few weeks ago and it was above average.
Went back last weekend and was wowed with the perfect ten exceptional breakfast with fresh cut heirloom tomatoes
and a fruit platter out of a magazine with 8 different kinds of fruit .Your not going to get that in a Centric IMHO as good as it may get
At the Honolulu Centric we left after breakfast it was ok but it left something wanting so we went to breakfast nearby so it isn't just me my family members said meh and I agree.
The other thing I would add is Centric breakfast variety is also limiting in almost every one I've been in especially for the items I seek out.
I've heard others rave about Hyatt Place breakfasts we all have different tastes and expectations
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Agree on Key West, TSQ and South Beach.
But breakfast at French Quarter Centric is just awful. Will never stay at this hotel again (for other reasons as well which I posted somewhere here in this thread.)
FQ Centric struggled from day one trying to get it to Hyatt F& B standards
It never really got there but it has had some moments that worked fair enough and some of my friends find it quite adequate
Before it transitioned to a Hyatt brand it was already there so it essentially became more Hyatt like as Hyatt brought in Hyatt Chefs to pump some life into a tired format
For me it wasn't ever as good as the Full Service Hyatt or other competing properties, venues nearby
It was always a grab and go and they tried to beef it up to be more restaurant like with a mini buffet with steam tables on the weekend.Quality has been all over the map
I'm also no fan of standing in a line cafeteria style to order my food with essentially no servers except to drop your food off in a premium priced boutique hotel
I do like the FQ Centric as a hotel though and they have through the years taken good care of my guests and referrals from around the world I have sent them
59Impala likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:32 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
FQ Centric struggled from day one trying to get it to Hyatt F& B standards
It never really got there but it has had some moments that worked fair enough and some of my friends find it quite adequate
Before it transitioned to a Hyatt brand it was already there so it essentially became more Hyatt like as Hyatt brought in Hyatt Chefs to pump some life into a tired format
For me it wasn't ever as good as the Full Service Hyatt or other competing properties, venues nearby
It was always a grab and go and they tried to beef it up to be more restaurant like with a mini buffet with steam tables on the weekend.Quality has been all over the map
I'm also no fan of standing in a line cafeteria style to order my food with essentially no servers except to drop your food off in a premium priced boutique hotel
I do like the FQ Centric as a hotel though and they have through the years taken good care of my guests and referrals from around the world I have sent them
Well written and totally reflects my views and experience.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Well written and totally reflects my views and experience.
Appreciate the kind words
Especially in a larger than ever social media world we have frequently seen a more hostile unappreciative world
while expressing each other’s opinions
I remember the early days of Flyertalk where it was a kinder and exciting place to learn from one another
A true insiders universe almost like a private club for everything in the travel space and beyond
Owe a debt of gratitude to founder Randy P ,moderators and my fellow posters to having the incredible travel lifestyle and knowledge
I do today that has helped me to become being reasonably in the know and make some pretty satisfying decisions where to stay and whom to fly on
and the best programs to participate in.Wow has that changed and evolved over the past few decades!
Dining continues to be a big driver more than ever where I stay
To look forward to having a great breakfast to start the day right
If they happen to do lunch and dinner well less of a need
to chasing down the hottest trendy restaraunts and relax and dine right where I’m staying and keep it simple
Cheers
59Impala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.