Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Some practical information

The hotel consists of two buildings, separated be a beautiful outdoor garden and an interior basement passageway called Paseo Des Artistes which serves as an art gallery for rotating exhibits by contemporary Latin American artists, plus some sculpture that seems to be permanent. Hotel guests can request a guided tour by one of the hotel's art ambassadors. Taxis serve both buildings, each of which has a small carriage entrance and valet parking garage.

Be aware that taxi fares have increased significantly in the last year. In September 2016, rates were about 40-50 for a ride to Centro, including the port area, and about 100 to restaurants in Palermo (which are generally lcated up the hill, far from the water). A remise from the domestic AEP airport costs about 250-300, although a taxi should be around 100-150 with no traffic.

The tower building on Posadas is modern and contains the Gioia (Italian) restaurant. It's almost all day dining, with a large breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, current Italian aperitif hours, and dinner. The hotel concierges sit in the basement of the tower building, at the entrance to the business center (free computers and printing). Ask for their printouts of what to do and suggested restaurant lists.

The historic palace building on Alvear contains a beautiful indoor pool in the basement, the florist, the Argentinian fine dining restaurant Duhau with its cheese cellar and wine room, open for lunch and dinner, the Piano Noble cafe/lobby bar, and the oak room bar, where the latter allows smoking as do the outdoor eating and drinking areas on terraces and in the garden.

The street parallel to Alvear and Posadas, one block up the hill from Alvear, contains shops, including a small ma and pa grocery store that closes for lunch and a larger supermarket with red signage called something like Dash. Both are self service, sell wine, and are open to at least 9 pm. There's also a fancy specialty wine store about a block from the palace building, next to the French
Club restaurant.

Breakfast is available until 11am in Gioia (big cold buffet, plus you can order hot items, I believe for extra charges except for Diamonds) or continental plus a hot menu of things to order at Piano Noble, IIRC also until 11am, including on their outdoor balcony tables. Coffee and drinks, including champagne, are served there with small snacks such as cookies or nuts and olives. Room service breakfast is available until noon, with instructions to place the order form on your doorknob by 4am. In the past, I was instructed to take Diamond breakfast either in Gioia or Piano Noble, but this time I was told Gioia only while others were given the choice.

Restaurants within a couple blocks include Club Frances or French Club, Fervor on Posadas for vaguely Spanish fish/seafood and steak, Sotta Voce on Libertador for Italian food, including fish, and the restaurant inside the new Brick Hotel on Posadas. Sadly the all branch of La Dorita casual steak house has closed.
Print Wikipost

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
WOW....
Talk about coincidence...I am planning a trip this Nov at the hotel too, for my birthday celebration.....

I, too, from FT thought that this would be a first class property, but your experience sounds absolutely awful....

Hopefully, once we are at the hotel the service would be meeting expectations.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

That's really strange. The person with whom you have been in contact is the same person whom I contacted before my November stay. He was very clear in his communication, and our room was booked just as promised. I'm very disappointed to read of your problems.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I just stayed at this hotel in January on points and asked to be upgraded in advance of my stay to a suite. I emailed the hotel and asked if I could upgrade to a suite given that my stay for a regular room was already on points. The hotel, emailed back within 12 hours and indicated I had two options for upgrade (1) 6000 points or (2) pay $100 per night plus tax. I opted for the $100 per night to get a stay credit for purposes of FFN.

Hotel immediately upgraded my room to park suite (which by the way is a large room divided by tv (I should note that they asked me if I wanted a one bedroom suite or park suite first. not knowing the dif i opted for park suite. if you want 2 rooms go for the one bed suite).

In the end I got my stay credit for purposes of FFN (although it is funny that the hotel refused to give gp points on the 100$ supplement and only awarded points on incedentals). Big hassle for late check-out. Overall nice hotel, service is not that great, and I will likely not stay at this hotel again.

For you, if you really want a suite on points write directly to the general manager. I believe he used to be with the HR Paris Madelein, which means he is not the best GM, but he should be able to at least sort out your problem.

I have been told the Park Tower is excellent and service better.

Originally Posted by thesilb
I've seen some decent review of the Park Hyatt Buenos Aires here and am leaning towards this hotel over the Park Tower this coming November, but boy, is the reservations process frustrating. I want two suites, one each for two independent Diamond members. Let's see:

* Booked applicable rate with Gold Passport suite desk in the United States on two rooms and asked for 6,000 point GP suite upgrade. As per standard policy, was told they would request it with the hotel and let me know within 72 hours. I received no call back, so 5 days later I called GP to be told "sorry, we've asked the hotel to respond three times, but they have not responded to us at all, this is a very unusual situation but there's really nothing we can do if the hotel simply chooses to ignore our communications".

* At GP's suggestion, I then book two suites at "full points" since this can be confirmed immediately (I don't really understand why one has to be requested and one can be confirmed immediately, but that's evidently how it works).

* With this held I now approach the hotel having two reservations, one for money and one for full points. I would like my paid stays upgraded, then I will cancel my full points stays. Communication is promptly answered by Mr. Christoph Duker, a manager, but he states that I only have one room on the paid stay, and offers no answer to whether I can get the upgrade.

* I write back to him, and he passes my email to one of his subordinates and simply never replies to me again. Still, the hotel has it completely wrong - they keep claiming I have only one paid room (I have a printed confirmation for two, "My Reservations" shows it as two, GP confirms by phone its 2, etc.). And finally then I get an answer "we can't upgrade you then because we don't do upgrades in the busy season as we don't have sufficient suites for this".

* Hmmm...but my suites are already reserved, so what's the problem?

I guess I will just do full points if I do decide to stay here over Park Tower. I'm feeling uneasy though at staying here due to how poorly this was all handled. I rarely feel this way about Hyatt, but AARGH!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:58 pm

SethLevy, you're a better negotiator than me. I had to pay $150 to get the upgrade to a park suite on an award stay.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Well, you are both better negotiators than me, as you can see above I can't get a suite and a stay credit out of this for the life of me, unless I want to throw $1000 a night at it.

Anyway, SethLevy, thanks for the details. I am again considering my reservations at the Park Tower, although over in the Argentina forum it has been suggested that the Hyatt's neighborhood is much superior.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:31 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Having stayed at both, I would definitely choose the Park Hyatt, both for location and the property itself, especially staying in the Palace. Hard to understand the problem you are having as they are so service oriented at the PH. I found Chris extremely helpful and clear, so this double reservation thing may have been the problem, creating the confusion. Though it could just be that, like most of the international Hyatts, they get so many DIA's asking in advance for an UPG or suite "confirmation," though that is subject to availability at time of checkin, that they go into GH HK mode and have a staff member make the UPG offer for points or cash, if you want it in adavance.

Mad4Miles and I stayed on BOGO cert's from UA and were UPG'd to the Park Suites, mine a separated one and his a larger open room, as shown on the PH BA website. Both were great, I actually liked his room better, as I had a lower ceiling. Nice rooms even though we were arriving later, as AA had cancelled our flight DFW-EZE and we ended up have to fly through SCL and then wait for the lost luggage at EZE, which the PH staff followed up on for us. Mine arrived that day about 6PM, and the butler came by immediately to see if I needed any cleaning or pressing for that evening.

Butlers at both PH and Park Towers were good, though at the PH they didn't require the follow up phone call to get my pressing delivered in time for dinner. And the fitness/pool/spa is much better at the PH, though it has been a little while since my Park Tower stay.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Thanks for the additional thoughts, rbAA. At the end of the day I guess it makes sense not to get frustrated and to stay in the better location (and sounds like the physical plant is better as well - I like to hear about the nicer pool and spa, as I would use these). Its just a room, after all, and hopefully in BA with so much to do, you spend just a little time in it.

I'm just frustrated. I would have never even had those double reservations, of course, if things had just been handled properly from the beginning.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:32 am

I wonder if you tried calling the hotel and spoke to your contact if you might make progress. I believe that he speaks fluent English.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:29 pm

I just returned from a 6 day stay at the Park Hyatt Palacio Duhau with mixed feelings. Initially I was torn between booking the Park Hyatt or the Four Seasons, but I figured since the Four Seasons is the old Park Hyatt, and the Palacio Duhau just opened back in July, I'd give it a try.

Needless to say, I booked my 1 bedroom suite through the Fine Hotel Program with my AMEX Platinum. Upon arrival, I was first given a suite in the palace and was disappointed in it. There was one small window in the bedroom and an even smaller window (above a bookshelf) in the living room area. I promptly went to the desk and asked to see a suite in the new tower and while the decor was much more contemporary, it was much brighter, larger and have huge windows. At the time of check-in, the upgrade through the Fine Hotel program was not available, but the next morning a larger suite became available and I graciously accepted.

That's where a string of small incidents ultimately added up to a mediocre overall experience. The refrigerator in the minibar did not work and the staff was told about this... yet nothing was ever done about it (plus, every day staff checks the minibar to see if anything has been consumed, so every day at least one staff member saw the contents were warm). Later in the trip, after a day of sightseeing, i came back around 5:30pm to find the room still had not been cleaned. When calling the front desk, they asked "well, did you leave the do not disturb sign on the door?" Hello... I think I know better than that. Halfway through my stay, I had sent clothes down to be laundered, and they came back... minus a shirt. I told the front desk staff about the missing shirt and was told they would look into it and call me... a day and a half later and still no call. During my stay, the concierge also arranged reservations at two tango shows with probably some of the worst seats you could imagine. ALL of this I could have let 'slide by', until the last day. The booking through AMEX afforded me a 4pm check out, but my flight was not until 10pm, so a request was made to extend the check out from 4pm to 6:30pm. The front desk staff made a comment to the effect that the hotel was very full and having the room occupied until almost 7 would be 'inconvenient'... however, I could pay 50% of the daily rate if I wanted to stay in the room an additional 2.5 hours. It was at that point that the room executive was requested to outline all of the little items and attitude received from the late check out request... he apologized and said he'd look into all of it. About 30 minutes later, the GM personally called to apologize and offered the 7pm late check out as well as a $100 credit on the bill for the lost shirt.

Overall the hotel is beautiful, although it could use more impressive flowers in the lobby to soften the coldness of the contemporary design. The suite was a very nice size as was the bathroom; however, I found it odd that you had to walk through the closet to get into the bedroom. The restaurant staff as well as all of the staff at the front door and outside (bellmen, valet, etc.) were extremely professional and very warm and welcoming. It seems the weakest point of the hotel would be the front desk and housekeeping staffs.

While an outdoor pool would be nice, I understand the limitations due to space and the terraced courtyard was a beautiful backdrop for a relaxing outdoor breakfast on the patio.

In the end, while the hotel did 'make good' on the issues, it was unfortunate that it required getting the Room Executive and General Manager involved. The staff definitely needs a bit more training to make this a truly phenomenal property.

**Oh and it seems Ricky frequents the Park Hyatt... he was staying there as well during my visit last week... and yes, there were groups of girls outside the hotel every day waiting for a glimpse!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Moderator! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134832
This link is broke,reported to Admin. some weeks ago and got the reply it worked.
Not sure what is going on.

Wanted to write few words as I just checked out of PH Buenos Aires after 3 nights.
Great property and deserve PH status.
Using FFN for the 3 nights didn't expect or get a suite but had a nice garden veiw room.Hotel on day 2 and 3 seemed very busy.Was granted an early checkin 10am and 3pm checkout without any problems.

Hotels location is supreme,easy enough to walk or take taxi to most tourist spots.

Staff was very well informed and actually had a call from the GM to check if all was OK.Met Christop on my departure who is the FO Manager and is of German decent.I spoke how I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again in future.
I think If you dealt with him directly you should be able to score your upgrade with points or cash.

Comparing the PH and Sheraton Towers is like comparing apples and oranges,both have the strengths.Depends on what is most important to you.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Any current reviews/updates? I'll be there next weekend.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Stayed here for three nights (on FFN) back in Jan, and was very impressed, both with the hotel/ room but more importantly the service. Everyone I encountered was warm, welcoming and helpful - and it always felt 'genuine'. I had a suite in the new section of the hotel, very 'modern' feeling, reasonably spacious (HUGE bathroom), though rather dark...which to be honest felt great after a day out walking in the sun. The entire hotel has a very 'peaceful' and calm feel to it. We really enjoyed the health club, and it has an absolutely terrific lap pool, if you're into that. The breakfast buffet had some really interesting choices (roasted fruit, which was delicious) and was plentiful. Great location for walking/ exploring from. Can't think of anything else, except that I'm looking forward to returning sometime!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:08 pm

A super hotel at one of the best locations in BA.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:54 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Any updated restaurant reviews for this hotel...?

Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:13 am

Staying here on points for the wedding night with my Portena in December.

I wonder what the chances are of me getting an upgrade with just the $20 trick at checkin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.