Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Facing east (Shinjuku) you would face the skyscrapers between the Century Hyatt and Shinjuku station. Facing west, you probably you would just see more tall buildings, but might get a peek at the Tokyo government building to the left (tallest in Japan) and maybe the rather undistinguished Shinjuku central park. I probably would very slightly prefer west (back of the hotel), but the view is nothing special.

It might be cool to look out for Yakuza (Japanese mafioso) in the lobby -- at one time, this hotel was allegedly popular with them. But the Quirky Japan web page says that Yaks have stopped cutting off their fingers one joint down so they might be rather hard to identify even if they still stay at the hotel!

Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:57 pm

In other words, you'd get not very interesting views?

Web site: "View rooms offer fabulous views of either Shinjuku Park or the city" and "With stunning park or city views, Regency Club rooms..." That'll teach me to read web sites

Given the choice, is the Okura much better or much worse, or is it a toss-up?

[This message has been edited by richarddd (edited Jan 07, 2004).]
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:20 pm

Haven't stayed anywhere near the Okura, but I recall it has a moderately sized garden in the back that some rooms must overlook. The front overlooks an ugly parking lot. I guess the rooms are good at both, service is possibly a bit better at the Okura on average, but there is free breakfast and evening snacks/drinks at the Regency Club.

The Okura is closer to the Ginza area (but still a nontrivial distance) and will "feel" more Japanese; more tourists know about Ginza than Shinjuku. However, Shinjuku train station is the world's busiest station and there are more stores and restaurants within a 5 minute walk, including the fascinating head stores of Yodobashi Camera.

If you have no strong feelings, I'd pick based on rate, you'll do just fine at either hotel.

They'll all add 10% service, 5% consumption tax, and a Y200 per night Tokyo City tax to the posted rates. No tipping in Japan.

Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:48 pm

I'll be staying there in March as a diamond. So, based on all that I've read in other threads, upgrade to RC is pretty much automatic, but RC rooms are no different from regular rooms except for higher quality amenities and RC lounge access.

I would assume that there are grand rooms on the RC floor as well as the corner rooms, both of which I assume are larger. Will they upgrade diamonds to these rooms as well?
Old Jan 8, 2004, 5:56 am

If anyone cares on rates, they're about the same:

Okura, 33-40 square meters, 31000 JPY
CHT, grand (40 sm) or RC (unknown size), 27400 JPY

RC rooms are on a lower floor than other rooms, but offer breakfast and other unspecified amenities.

[This message has been edited by richarddd (edited Jan 08, 2004).]
Old Jan 8, 2004, 6:28 am

stayed there last week... booked a regular guest room and was assigned room 2234. you'll get a good view of the tocho (city gov't) and if you look outside from an angle, you could just see mt. fuji to the right.

checked in at around 8:30 pm, received a regency club upgrade (but the club closed at 9). diamond amenity consisted of some fruits, chocolates, and 2 bottles of water. no room upgrade whatsoever.

regarding tipping in japan... i've found that the staff at CHT consistently will not take the tip. however, the staff at GHT and PHT would always graciously take the tip. interesting i think...
Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by domirule:
stayed there last week... booked a regular guest room and was assigned room 2234. you'll get a good view of the tocho (city gov't) and if you look outside from an angle, you could just see mt. fuji to the right.

checked in at around 8:30 pm, received a regency club upgrade (but the club closed at 9). diamond amenity consisted of some fruits, chocolates, and 2 bottles of water. no room upgrade whatsoever.
</font>
Would you recommend the hotel? Any advice for someone who would otherwise toss a coin to decide whether to stay there?

Are you saying the RC upgrade was club access, but not a switch to the RC club rooms on 6-9?
Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:34 am

yeah, i'd recommend the hotel. it's a pretty decent hotel with friendly staff. and it's a short walk to the subway station, plus free shuttles to shinjuku station.

regarding the club level rooms... i don't think there are differences with the rooms at other levels. my amenity was already waiting for me in my room on the 22nd floor and the receptionist told me that the rooms are nearly identical...
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by domirule:

regarding tipping in japan... i've found that the staff at CHT consistently will not take the tip. however, the staff at GHT and PHT would always graciously take the tip. interesting i think...
</font>
In all my stays in Japan, it's never occurred to me to offer a tip to anyone! Interesting the reaction when you do, but I'll stick to my practice -- if anyone feels guilty, remember that these hotels add a 10% service charge to all room rates.

I have just learned of one situation when you do offer a tip in Japan -- when being shown to your floor level sumno seat by the usher from the tea house who will be bringing you food and drink. In that case, evidentally a generous ADVANCE tip is mandatory and you don't have to be subtle about it.

Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:59 pm

With regard to tipping in Japan, the only time I give a tip is when I go short distances in a taxi such as the ride from Hakata Station to the HR Fukuoka - a couple of blocks away, when saddled with a lot of heavy luggage.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:54 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
My wife and I stayed at the Century Hyatt last February on the 9th floor and we had an excellent view of Mount Fuji.

I never saw it from CHT before, only the Park Hyatt. But it was beautiful.

By the way, it rained the day before, so it was very clear.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
From a point greed stand I would stay at the CHT versus the Okura. The Okura is a very nice Hotel with about as much Japanese old style culture on could expect from a large hotel. At the Okura we were given a upgraded room which I always tried to figure out what the upgrade was.

The CHT is a box with no personality in my opinion. The Club is located on the lower levels so members may enjoy excellent views of the park during Cherry Blossom season. Now how often is that during a year- once. I would take a room on a higher level floor facing the lights of Shinjuku if I were to ever stay again.

Based upon your rate which will be plus plus and the falling $ why do you not take advantage of the present FFN promotion? I am not sure when you are going but this could work. Find a cheap Hyatt around you and check in / out. Then you can stay at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. I assume this would work since it is somewhat near the Okura. You could always stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo if you favor Shinjuku. IMHO
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE:
Based upon your rate which will be plus plus and the falling $ why do you not take advantage of the present FFN promotion? I am not sure when you are going but this could work. Find a cheap Hyatt around you and check in / out. Then you can stay at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. I assume this would work since it is somewhat near the Okura. You could always stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo if you favor Shinjuku. IMHO</font>
That would be great if I could manage it. The problem is finding cheap Hyatt's in NYC.

We're going to Tokyo in late April, so that should work for redeeming FFN's, but finding appropriate Hyatt stays to build up FFN's is non-trivial.

Your post on views from the CHT seems a bit at odds with the posts by Pickles and RichardInSF. Alas, we'll probably miss cherry blossom season by a few weeks.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I only stayed once. Given a Club room. Looking at naked Cherry trees in the park short their blossoms did not do it for me. I walked over to the Hilton and found more personality. The HHonors manager is very good and I have always had a nice high floor room with Executive Lounge access. They also have free high speed internet access. After finding the Hilton I fell for the Grand Hyatt Tokyo.

BTW all. You can still get rooms at the PH Paris. Just reserved three night for the end of January.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Adivce needed CH Tokyo

Diamond going to Tokyo early August with my two daughters, staying at Century Hyatt (part award, part paid). Will need two rooms. Anything equivalent to "the speech" (see United forum) that will help in getting high floor, good view rooms, large suite vs. two rooms, whatever?

Any other general tips in this hotel, location, etc.? Call, e-mail, fax in advance?

(Yes, I've done a search).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.