Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Lodge Oak Brook Chicago (former McDonald's campus) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Lodge Oak Brook Chicago (former McDonald's campus) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, WN CP
There is also a Hyatt Place in the area. In regard to the lodge, if you have little kids, there is a nice indoor pool, it's only 3 feet deep.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hilton-DIA, IHG-Plat Amb, Hyatt-DIA, SPG-Plat & 3 star, Marriott-Gold, Nat'l-Exec, NWA-Sil
Yes - and there should be 2 "Places" by now in the Schaumburg area, but the lodge could be better. And the HP in Lombard is good (one of the first HP's?), and close to enough entertainment.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I have not stayed at the Lodge, but it has to be better than Lisle based on location and age. The Lisle location is on Rt. 53 which is not a great highway for dining, etc., while the Hyatt location is very close to a major shopping center with plenty of high-end-chain restaurants.

The HP is a generic HP... walking distances to three chain restaurants, all of which I would put in the B-/C+ range of chain restaurants. I did a couple of mattress runs there in 2007 to retain Diamond. I felt that it is very expensive during the week for what you get.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
The HP is a generic HP... walking distances to three chain restaurants, all of which I would put in the B-/C+ range of chain restaurants. I did a couple of mattress runs there in 2007 to retain Diamond. I felt that it is very expensive during the week for what you get.
Indeed the HP is in the back of a generic strip mall or shopping center, with its generic chain restaurants. I also agree with the OP, most time I priced it, I was quoted high rates....IMHO not justified in this location.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: Hilton-DIA, IHG-Plat Amb, Hyatt-DIA, SPG-Plat & 3 star, Marriott-Gold, Nat'l-Exec, NWA-Sil
Unfortunately, most of the hotels in the Lombard area are a bit on the high side, but you can get some decent deals @ the HP w/ AAA ~89 a night fairly often
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: AA
2 thumbs down on Hyatt Lodge

The Hyatt Lodge is wedding reception and family reunion central on most weekends.

Since wedding receptions in the evening involves drinking (and I am not against good celebration) the young crowd it gathers is very noisy and the structure in all areas of rooms/halls have paper thin walls and doors (space between the door and the floor can be almost 3/4 of an inch) - you will hear a lot of noise way late into the night/early morning. Don't expect complaints to the front desk to help - they are very young and not competent to handle simple requests for a good night sleep. The managers name is Rusty, but good luck in getting him to respond.

Also, if you are unlucky enough to get a room facing the drop-off/valet, expect to hear noise and see lights well into the night and if there on a weekday, early in the morning. As there is no parking all guest must valet - unless some other form of transport is had.

The rooms are more dormatory in fashion with small baths. They are designed to sleep two to a room - a lot of double beds and double closets. Whatever their original thought as a "lodge" has long given way to students going to McDonalds school of hamburgers. During the week, expect to have to mingle with the school students.

The gym is adequate but small.

The best feature is the bar, where during late spring and fall, you can sit out on a deck in good weather.

The property is about 1.5 miles from Oak Brook mall which is a nice outdoor mall. So when the weather is good, the mall is good.

Having stayed at the lodge several times and other area properties over the last 15 years, there are good deals within 1 mile of Oak Brook mall. Marriott is the current top of line property, but Hyatt also has a very nice property also. Just search in the on-line booking sites for a good deal.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by hytail

Also, if you are unlucky enough to get a room facing the drop-off/valet, expect to hear noise and see lights well into the night and if there on a weekday, early in the morning. As there is no parking all guest must valet - unless some other form of transport is had.
There is a large free parking lot across the street (on the other side of the small bridge), a 2 minute walk. On cold days one can enter through the restaurant to avoid outdoor stairs.

I may have been lucky, or got good treatment as GP platinum, but my rooms were never that small.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:07 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Mixed Review

I stayed over a Friday night in October. Looking at the last few reviews, I agree with some of the points. As noted, there is free parking, just over a little bridge. It's not that far.

I had the AAA rate with breakfast, which was under $80 before tax. (Also, the tax is 9%, a couple percent lower than most of the Chicago area.) The breakfast French toast was decent, but I wouldn't pay the $12-15 alone. As others have mentioned, an upscale mall is only 1 1/2 miles away. The views from the lounges are decent, with a nice office park pond. On the other hand, it's still an office park.

Plusses and minuses:

+ I thought my king room was plenty spacious, with a nice LCD TV.
+ The free indoor pool is very nice. It's not a typical hotel play pool. The length is a little over 20 yards, and it's wide enough to have 5 lanes for lap swimming.

- It's not very easy to find; it's inside the office park. The signs are low to the ground. I recommend printing out the directions.
- Even in my room away from the entry, I could hear occasional hall traffic; there are fairly large door gaps.
- I had only a shower in the bath; I don't know how common this was.

Overall, I found this a fair suburban hotel. If you're a swimmer, it moves up.
Old May 16, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Recent STAY

So I am all qualified for Platinum on SPG and now moving on to Hyatt for the next few months of my travel(3-4PMs/week). As I was in Chicago and in the Western burbs gave this hotel a try. Have stayed at Hyatt in Schaumburg by Woodfield and downtown at Hyatt on Wacker a number of times the last few years.

This hotel, is very unique in the way it sets on McDonalds Corporate Headquarters in basically a forest. Kinda cool.

I used one of my suite upgrades as I was there for 3 PMs and had nice room(but it was on ground floor) that had a suite connector room. Both rooms had nice LCD Flat screen TVs, the suite connector had a nice couch and chair and sitting table and liked idea of having 2 bathrooms as my sig ot was with me as well. The one thing I noticed? The bed was really low to the floor. Interesting.

Disappointments: The parking lot is a little inconvient as I hate having to valet my car when there is a choice. It rained last week in Chicago and that was a slight pain. The SPA scheduled my sig ot for a 4PM wax and when she went down there the wax machine was broke. She was not happy about that. DID NOT receive a free breakfast offer as there is no club in hotel. No big for me, but big deal for sig ot.

Likes: The surrounding and design of hotel is really cool. Almost looks Frank Lloyd Wright in nature. Although I do NOT work for McDonalds, think it is neat this once corporate only hotel is open to public. The hotel was accomodating to my sig ot when she needed shuttle service to Oak Brook Mall as I was out working. They did NOT run during the time she wanted to go but were very accomodating to her requests. LOVE the WSJ being delivered each day to room. Thumbs up there. Also, they have a great running trail nearby(even though it was rainy) that I enjoyed.

Overall...moderate thumbs up. Big question? Would I stay again? Probably. There is a Westin in Lombard that I love...but as I am now driving for Diamond again with Hyatt this will be an option for me. More then likey.

Travel Safe. BHawk.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
I stayed at this hotel in 08/10 using a government rate of $80. My company forces me to try to stay at $100 hotels where possible, so I am primarily a Hyatt Place traveler. So my viewpoints may differ from those who stay at Park Hyatts all the time.

That being said, I was very impressed with the Lodge. It's a little difficult to find as GPS and Google Maps will take you to a secondary entrance that is closed at night, but there's a speaker you can call security on and they'll tell you how to go.

The McDonalds office park area was very beautiful. When we arrived at the hotel, I chose to do the valet parking, which was $12. While I don't usually like to use this if I can help it, we had a lot of luggage and my company was paying, so... I did later see the parking lot others on here have mentioned. It's not that far away, but I would not have wanted to haul all of our luggage from the lot to the room.

The interior was very beautiful. Huge fireplace & chimney in the center. I'd love to see this place in Winter! We walked around the grounds for awhile, very peaceful! then we had drinks in the bar area. We didn't try any dinner food, so I can't comment on that. drink prices were a bit high, but nothing unusual for a hotel bar.

The gym/pool area was nothing short of spectacular! Reminded me of a country club I used to belong to! It was nice to be able to unwind in the pool and sauna.

As a Diamond I got free breakfast. Like others have said, it was like a cafeteria. Everything was very delicious and they took good care of us. It was much better than the HP breakfast I'm used to, but not as good as some competitive chains I've stayed at. Still, for free, it was great.

I got a late checkout b/c we wanted to enjoy this place as long as possible. They didn't give me any grief at all about this.

I was able to use a Costco cert here with no problems.

One small negative thing, they forgot to remove the $9.95 Internet charge from my bill. I didn't even notice it until this week when I did my expense report. So if you stay here keep an eye out for that.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay and will definitely stay here again if I'm back in the area, especially if it's Winter time!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by frekwentflier

So my viewpoints may differ from those who stay at Park Hyatts all the time.
With all the stone, wood and marble used at The Lodge, this looks a lot like a modern Park Hyatt.

That being said, I was very impressed with the Lodge.
You are not the only one, beautiful property, more or less dead on weekends, so a quite little heaven within Chicago, well, actually a suburb of Chicago...

The interior was very beautiful. Huge fireplace & chimney in the center. I'd love to see this place in Winter!
It is beautiful in winter with the creek and all the trees carrying lots of snow, however due to the size of the property, they do not remove all the snow, so walking from the self parking area with some steps involved can become really dangerous, especially with luggage. Valet seems to be a good option, especially when the company is picking up the tab.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Consider everything before you book....

This is a very unique Hyatt property. Note bold on unique. If you enjoy that in your hotel stays, you will love this property. Otherwise, IMO - look elsewhere. (same if you have some reason to hate McDonalds)

Hotel is about 70% through a huge remodel, scheduled to be done Mar 1 or so. I burned a DIA suite upgrade here, and was given a (remodeled) parlor suite. Did not like that it was on the first floor, but none of the suites on higher floors have been through the remodel, so this was it. Parlor area had sofa, chair, dining/meeting table (round w/4 chairs), full bath. Not a ripped out entire room remodel, but bath was beautifully done, colors are great for the property, and interesting use of design components. I thought it quite nice - think "elegant lodge". Bedroom had King bed, another full bath, desk, etc etc. Both rooms had floor to ceiling windows/patio doors that overlooked the woods. Also have a small frig, which I like.

Room service appears to be standard 'burb Hyatt menu...but restaurant is different. Think ordering at McDonalds, but receiving Hyatt food in a pretty setting overlooking a small lake. Odd at first, but as all you do is order at the counter, and then receive table service, not a big deal to me...but for some, it would be. I loved the setting, and breakfast was cooked perfectly and served pleasantly- only odd thing was that you received coffee in a "to go" cup. Funny though - in this part of the hotel you are on McDonalds wi-fi!

For room service dinner had several special requests. Accommodated and served correctly.

Spa- mixed report. Locker rooms are still under construction, so no steam sauna. Staff providing services were friendly, but of varying experience. Area is not particularly spa like...resembles a salon, not particularly restful. Definite opportunity for improvement. Gym is larger than usual and well equipped, but also has outside members. Not a problem when I was there.

It is winter, valet parking was $12 - so I valeted. In the summer, I think walking to the parking lot would be pleasant..it isn't that far. YMMV.

DIA amenity - "taste of chicago" - nicely sized bowls of 3 local favorite snacks. Good choice, presented well and delivered on time. 4pm check-out offered at check-in.

Although it is an office park setting, it reminds me more of a college campus. Wooded, walking paths and trails. As others have said, very Frank Lloyd Wright. Lobby/bar area overlooks lake, has a fireplace - relaxing. Gorgeous stone patio to sit outside in summer.

LOTS of upscale shopping and restaurants in the area. Hotel can be hard to find - there is NO Hyatt sign on the road...look for signs that say McDonalds Corporation. Even once in the park signs will say LODGE and not Hyatt. Once you are here it is EZ to get around, and there is nothing you could possibly want that isn't within a mile or so.

I had a good experience here, and will definitely return. Biggest downside - no Club and no rooms that overlook the lake.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Jan 28, 2012 at 5:44 pm
Old May 9, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Sophiegirl's comments continue to be right on the mark. As of early May it appears the renovations are complete; it is a unique property.

Interesting experience at breakfast here. Entrees were really quite good, but the hashbrowns that my associate ordered appeared to be McD spec hashbrown patties. He commented it may be the first and only time he'd ever eaten those from a real plate with real silverware.

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Have been here several times since my original post, time for an update.

They have three tiers of internet, and I am unsure qualifies for Diamond, as I only need the lowest. (If I remember to ask I will edit....) The annoyance is that each time I close my ipad, I have to go through the entire process of logging back in. Annoying and unneccesary. The restaurant where breakfast and lunch is served is on the McDonald's wi-fi system, which I still find pretty funny.

Because there are so many excellent restaurants (including the kitchens of my friends ) in the area, I had not eaten in the evening restaurant on prior visits. Did so on this trip, and found it so excellent I did a repeat! Primarily pasta, I thought the sauces well prepared, and the service outstanding. I could not eat the foccacia due to allergies, and they prepared me a fresh loaf of italian. Yum. The risotto is a vegetarian app size, I asked for a grilled shrimp/scallop edition as an entree - no problem and perfectly cooked. (and as I love risotto am rather picky about it). A glass of "prepared for me" Sangria was a great accompaniment, and an excellent cappuccino ended it. IF I really wanted to pick nits, I would suggest a more interesting dessert menu.

For anyone reading this who lives locally, valet parking is free for diners. Come, enjoy a drink by the fireplace overlooking the lake, and then have a candlit dinner. It is so peaceful compared to the jammed restaurants in the area!

I had tried to use a suite upgrade, but needed 5 nights at the last minute, so not surprising it wasn't available. Had a few glitches at check-in, so they offered a suite upgrade as a recompense, but was told it was not the "normal" upgrade. And no, no it certainly is not.

Called the Partners Suite, it is a lakefront living room, a dining table that seats 10, a bar that seats 3 more, Nespresso maker, TWO full baths (no soaking tubs, alas), and a huge bedroom. A sound system with a huge selection of CD's in a built in bookcase against a stone wall. live plants and attractive art. The entire front of the suite is floor to ceiling windows with a step out balcony overlooking the lake and the pretty walkway to Hamburger U. It really is a spectacular suite...which one downside for some - it is quite close to the elevator. It did not bother me, but for some it would be an issue.

If you were going to have a small meeting, this would be an excellent room to book. The "dining" table is really a conference table with inserted power outlets, and there is a 50" screen that you could use for presentations. (otherwise it is the TV) One of the full baths is off this room, and the BR is completely separate.

I have always liked this hotel and we are a lucky couple for this little getaway. Thank you Hyatt Lodge...and being Diamond at Hyatt isn't too shabby either!

EDIT: for those who tend to skim - remember, this is NOT the normal upgrade suite. I have received those, they are fine - but nothing like this.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Oct 20, 2012 at 6:11 am
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:37 pm

Any recent stays here? Am thinking this will be a great place to bring the kids (pool and surrounding nature). Is it worth a DSU? What kind of suite do they put you in with your DSU?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.