Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2022, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
the sea root breakfast buffet is $25 a person. Hyatt breakfast benefit says entree/drink or breakfast buffet. Did you go a la carte or buffet?
So if they are offering the buffet for free, or a menu credit of $25, that would be fully compliant. Sounds like all they may be guilty of is phrasing the benefit inelegantly.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Was told buffet only on the weekend.
Old May 14, 2022, 5:18 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Arrived for a single night yesterday. They asked when the last time I visited was... an improvement from asking if I've ever been there before. Not shabby!

When I checked on arrival morning, suites still showing. By the time we arrived, none showed.
Despite a pool view w/balcony still showing available, we were put in a parking lot view room. Not something I cared much about, but figured I'd mention it (we are globalist).
Given a small card saying that breakfast packages included an entree and a beverage. The three of us did a buffet, as we were in a hurry (8 A.M whale watching), and I was worried we might get charged for choosing the buffet. We didn't. They also ended up removing the charge for the third person (third person in a different room), so extra props for that.

We told them we wanted to use our Globalist 4 P.M checkout, and there was no issue. It was not proactively offered.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Checked in today. The front desk was apologetic that a suite was not available but I was upgraded to a golf course view. This was actually showing up on my app in the morning before I arrived, so I wonder if upgrades are already assigned and there isn’t much that the front desk could do.

Its a third floor room with a beautiful view of the golf course. I walked around the property a bit and noticed that most rooms don’t have any views or face the highway so it could def be an issue staying here since golf course view is fairly limited.

I wasn’t told of any limits to breakfasts. Other than it’s included because of Globalist. Overall I would say the check in experience was great and room def exceeded my expectations set by the reviews here.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 7:18 pm

I had pretty much the same experience as SP3. Room facing golf course on level 3. We got in late after dinner and all the lots near the hotel were full, we had to park further out where there is a large open area.
we got down just before breakfast buffet closed but staff were kind enough to still let us take and eat nearer the lobby where there was a fireplace. I liked the fresh juicer! Didn’t see it in other Hyatts. The breakfast credit covers buffet breakfast.
We explored the facilities but didn’t get to use it as we were only there for a night, except to play some ping pong.
The rooms were well maintained.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: VS LT Gold 1MM, BA Gold, M&M Frequent, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I had a great 4 night stay here recently. My expectations weren't particularly high after the comments here, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Checked in around 12.30pm and asked if a suite was available. They said yes it is, and they pro-actively offered a 2pm late checkout (which was fine with me). Regarding breakfast he just said that they wipe the slate for 2 adults and 2 children so just charge everything to the room.

Suite was a decent size, clean and comfortable. Only issues experienced was paper thin walls, odd smells in the room (no it wasn't me! :-) ) and grotty elevator / stair areas.

We found the food and drink here to be excellent - we really enjoyed it. Steak and eggs at breakfast was a highlight. Service at the restaurant for breakfast was hit and miss - sometimes excellent, other times non-existent. There were 3 of us (my son is 18) and they wiped the first $100 from the bill every day, typically leaving a small amount to pay. So I'm not entirely sure what's allowed and what's not, but $100 seems to be the limit ($27 is a buffet breakfast). I was happy with what we received so spending a little extra was no problem - I wasn't going to argue.

Lots of free parking, and great bar areas. The walk to downtown isn't too bad and it was quite pleasant.

I used a cat 4 cert for the first night and 3 night rewards for the remainder - I booked before it was upgraded to a cat 5. I won't hesitate to return.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:11 pm

Just finished up a 1 night stay here.

The property is clearly very old, with certain things updated and others not so much. The rooms are adequate. Agree that the half glass shower wall is a poor design choice. Furniture appears updated, but mattress is old. Chips, dings, scratches and popcorn ceilings age the room.

The service was fine at best, poor at the worst. We went to dinner at Sea Root (we almost never stick around for hotel/resort dinners) and the food was genuinely phenomenal. The service was really, really slow and they’re clearly understaffed. We waited almost an hour for a calamari order that they ended up comping and boxing to-go. Breakfast was good, not great but the service was better and they wiped everything from the bill despite being told it was just $25/pp.

Overall, the property was fine. Using my category 1-4 cert I was perfectly happy to stay here, especially as a comfortable place to sleep/shower as part of a longer weekend or road-trip. However, I would be incredibly disappointed if I had paid the $500+ they were charging this weekend.
eh9 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:37 pm

Anybody have success getting a suite upgrade certificate to apply to the 2 queen Monterey?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 11/11 to 11/13

Location: The hotel is located about 5 minutes from Downtown Monterey just south of CA-1 and Fremont Street (Exit 401A). It's on the grounds of the Del Monte Golf Course and across the street from the Naval Postgraudate School. Do note that data works really badly around here making it hard to load Google maps leaving the hotel. This was an issue with both Verizon and T-Mobile

Hotel: The hotel is a strange design and feels in a lot of ways more like an apartment complex than a hotel. There's a nice lobby area with a restaurant, a lot of outdoor seating including fire pits, a small bar and a coffee shop that also sells sandwiches and wraps. Valet parking is an option here but parking by your building is easier. The hotel also has two pools and hot tubs and a large event space.

Check In: We arrived at 4 PM and were checked in. No upgrade was offered (though I'd responded to an email from the GM requesting one). The agent was helpful at least.

Room: Nice enough for our purposes. Two beds with outlets next to them along with a desk and an easy chair and a large enough bathroom. There was a fridge and some complimentary plastic refillable water bottles in the room. Wifi worked well and there were no noise options.

Breakfast: My wife, daughter and I had breakfast here twice. There's a buffet or ala carte off the menu. I found the ala carte menu items really good though service was bad. The first day we didn't get any of the drinks we asked repeatedly for.

Overall a good option for Monterey. I bet it's even nicer in summer.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:22 pm

Thanks for the review. I am currently planning my trip to California for late February. We have Alila booked for 3 nights, but will have 3 nights before that to spend. Looks like we'll be centered around Monterey, and trying to figure out if the little bit extra drive from Carmel Valley Ranch makes sense vs HR Monterey.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Charlie9
Thanks for the review. I am currently planning my trip to California for late February. We have Alila booked for 3 nights, but will have 3 nights before that to spend. Looks like we'll be centered around Monterey, and trying to figure out if the little bit extra drive from Carmel Valley Ranch makes sense vs HR Monterey.
My activities were in Monterey, Carmel and of course 17 Mile Drive. The hotel was really well located for all that.
Charlie9 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Charlie9
CVR is a lovely property, much nicer than HR, but indeed not so convenient if you're planning on doing a lot of Monterey focused activities. Wife and I visit CVR several times a year due to the outdoor tub. Valley kitchen is alright, but gets repetitive quickly.
Charlie9 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Anybody have success getting a suite upgrade certificate to apply to the 2 queen Monterey?
I also attempted to get this done with my concierge and was denied -- despite it stating in the description that "this is a standard suite."

Were you able to get it or did you have the same luck that I did?

Last edited by blahmeh14; Jan 16, 2023 at 4:54 pm
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
The internet at the time was unusable.
Nearly a year later, the same was still true for me on a recent stay.
Old May 23, 2023, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
I also attempted to get this done with my concierge and was denied -- despite it stating in the description that "this is a standard suite."

Were you able to get it or did you have the same luck that I did?
Sorry for the late reply...I was able to apply a suite upgrade award into a Monterey 2 queen bed.

My stay was last week for a single night. Buddies and I were down there for a quick golf trip. There were several hiccups during our stay. The living room side of the suite was locked requiring a different key....we had to wait about 10 mins for someone to run to our room to give us the key to the other half of the suite. Shortly after we started to settle in, water started to drip from the AC unit which is directly above one of the beds...by the time we notice, pillow and mattress was wet. On our way into town for dessert, we stopped by front desk...after some back and forth, they moved us into the Hospitality Suite.

Breakfast in the restaurant starts at 7am which seems late. We grabbed some quick eats from the market on our way out to golf course. Charges were removed. I was told $50 pp credit at the market.

On the plus side, we were given late checkout as requested...very nice to be able to shower after golfing and then head home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.