Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, CA ("Newporter") REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Diamond Benefits:
  • No Regency Club; breakfast entrees on the menu at SHOR
  • Last reported as one entree + one beverage per person, up to 4
  • Does not include room service
  • Amenities (choice of one, as of 3/19/2015)
    • 1,000 points
    • ?

In general:
  • Parking
    • Valet: $47/night
    • Self: $40/night
    • Parking rates above do not include Jazz series events
    • Street: none nearby
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, CA ("Newporter") REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:24 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Currently staying here on Points & Cash rate. Upgraded to a nice premium suite with Murphy bed in the living room for the kids. Comped breakfast of up to $38 per person. Report will be posted soon:

Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, damn. I'm using a Category 4 cert to stay in this place in February...right before the cert expires. And now, I finally decided to check out the FT thread and I discover this place is a total dump.

I have no status (well, Platinum) so I don't expect anything from the hotel - just a decent room and a decent pool. (Dare I ask if it's even heated?) I think I got suckered by the "Beach" title, thinking we'd be closer to the ocean.

The following two nights, we're staying at the Hilton in HB. (Oddly, next door to the Hyatt HB that is generally well-regarded...but too high a category for my certificate.)

So...advice? Leave the stay be, just deal with it for one night, and move on? A better Hyatt Cat 4 in the area? Not really dying to do Long Beach or LA on this trip... Our original plan was to just phone for a shuttle when we arrived and not rent a car. (Using a short Uber for dinner or whatnot.) Now I'm thinking we rent a car and minimize our time at the property...

Last edited by pinniped; Jan 26, 2017 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We went ahead and completed our 1-night stay at this hotel.

We weren't there long and didn't explore the whole place, but we had no issues with our stay. We had a ground-floor room in the main building. Everything was in working order, the room was clean, etc.

We had dinner at the hotel restaurant. It was adequate for a late-night meal, although pretty unremarkable food.

We liked the fact that they had an outdoor pool that was well-heated, even for a chilly February night, plus a large whirlpool.

All of the common areas that we saw appeared clean and well-groomed.

As others have noted, this hotel is not near any beach, but it's a short Lyft/Uber to the seafront. There's a Hertz office in the hotel as well.

I'd say it met expectations for a Category 3 stay without any meaningful status.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:17 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Lovely multi 2-storey structures property in a garden setting overlooking Newport's Back Bay with two huge pools and other outside activities.

Was upgraded to a vast suite with Murphy bed for the kids. Room clean and comfortable but your typical tiny Regency bathroom. Low ceiling lobby where a bar and restaurant are located. FD staffed by a lovely lady who upgraded us without asking.

Comped Diamond breakfast buffet of up to $35 (or $38 - not sure) per person. They will also take eggs orders. My wife ordered sauteed spinach and mushrooms with her fried eggs and it was done with a smile. Excellent service.

It was lovely quite stay that we enjoyed in early December - this must be a very fun property in the summer months. Overall very nice property and we recommend it. More photos below:

Last edited by Kalboz; Feb 13, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I was able to book 2-3 nights here and decided to check the reviews. I think I'll go with HR Long Beach or Orange County.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

We were upgraded as Globalists to a Villa this past weekend. There were a lot of weddings at the property, and we were there for one night, so I imagine that had something to do with it... The villas have a private pool and are around 1,000 sq. ft. Pics to come!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:46 pm

In summer there are usually Jazz concerts on Friday nights--sometimes entire weekend. Please factor in such loud music.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I'd say Newport Beach hands down. Unless you want be in downtown because both Long Beach Hyatt properties are essentially in downtown near the aquarium.

No outlet in Newport Beach but the Fascist Island is a 30-minutes walking distance from the property. Also, if you have a car, drive south on Jamboree and onto a bridge to Balboa Island. Then take the ferry to Balboa Peninsula (lots of fun) where you will encounter miles of ocean facing uninterrupted sandy beaches and two piers (15 minutes drive from the hotel).

The Kalboz family taking the ferry

Do the touristy boat tour of Newport Bay where you will be taken around the bay and shown homes of stars such as John Wayne. And you can also do the day trip to Catalina Island from where the ferry embarks on the peninsula. Lots of good food, free fun, and if lucky, beautiful weather.
Thanks for the insight Kalboz. How was the experience of the ferry? Do they just take one vehicle at a time to the pier? Great pictures as well.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
G
Originally Posted by standbyme
How was the experience of the ferry? Do they just take one vehicle at a time to the pier?
The ferries each hold three cars; $1 per walk on passenger, cars are $2 plus a per-passenger charge. We walked from the Hyatt to Balboa Island and then along the water to this ferry, rode the ferry and then walked over to the ocean. The ferry is about a two minute ride and was a fun trip. On the weekend we were there, three ferries were operating so there was really no wait to catch one as a pedestrian. The line for cars was pretty long, there were probably at least a couple dozen cars in the queue on each side when we went.

We just concluded a SoCal tour of the Hyatt Mission Bay and PH Aviara with two nights at this property. I have globalist status and booked a second room for my in-laws through Prive. We received connecting rooms on the top floor of the main building, one of which was a corner room. The corner room was around 50% larger but it feels like wasted space, there was no additional furniture although the room did have a bonus window on the outer wall which was nice for extra light. We could easily hear our downstairs neighbors listening to the TV one evening and had to go downstairs to ask them to turn it down, I was a bit surprised that so much TV noise came up from below.

This was our third or fourth stay here, I like the a la carte breakfast items - especially the California scramble, açaí bowl, and the huevos. In my opinion the food was better than Mission Bay but not as good as the PH. The room was fine but a definitely step down from the PH, more in line with Mission Bay. Definitely a step down from Huntington Beach up the street.

I prefer being able to walk to restaurants and etc so am not crazy about the location here since it’s a walk over a big hill on a busy road to get to Balboa Island. I prefer the HB location. Still this property is typically at least $100 less per night and I think was a fair value for what we paid. Resort fee was waived for both rooms and we used the $50 Prive credit for a round of drinks and desserts at the lobby bar, which was very crowded and the desserts were pretty tasty.

Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Shuttle discontinued

Just a heads up that the hotel has discontinued its shuttle service. That service was a big draw for me for an early flight or to family and friends flying in. You’ll now have to rent a car or Uber to the airport, fashion island, and balboa island. A big downgrade IMO.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:05 pm

Just a data point for a recent stay. It was a busy weekend and did not receive an upgrade as a Globalist on an award stay. Breakfast during this pandemic is one entree and one drink at the coffee bar, plus outdoor dining at some of the patio areas which was sufficient. Dinner service was greatly reduced (smaller menu). Pool was open but did not use. As mentioned in other reviews, the rooms can be noisy and we could almost clearly hear the next door TV. Good service throughout my stay and the complimentary 2-hour bike rentals were a welcome escape into the nearby bay for a quick ride.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:02 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Can anyone comment on experience in the last month or two? I'll be there next weekend mainly due to location and not wanting to spend the entire trip at John Wayne HR.

I used points since it was so cheap and am not counting on much more than an ok room and walking/short uber to Newport. Any decent globalist benefits here?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:41 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
You may get an upgrade to a bay view room. You can do breakfast in the restaurant which is decent or they have grab and go from the bar. Looks like you aren't driving otherwise they would comp parking since you are on points. Pretty standard Globalist stuff, nothing above and beyond.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:39 pm

Stayed here for a night using cat 4 cert since I want to check out Newport/Balboa peninsula. Upgraded to pool view in app. Asked for bay view at check in and got it. I was proactively offered 4 pm check out. Breakfast at SHOR was great - got the crab benedict and coffee. Gym is spacious and well equipped. I didn't check out the pool or spend much time at the property. Onsite parking was easy and a short walk from the building. At check out bill was 0. All in all this property knows how to handle standard glob benefits.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 11:15 pm

Just spent two nights here with some friends to burn all the Cat4 certificates that had been accumulating in my account since COVID. Property was fully booked over the holiday weekend, so no real upgrades to be had. We had a 2QQ w/ balcony in the main (Catalina) building, which felt a bit old (popcorn ceilings) and oddly arranged with a corridor leading down to a bathroom. But on the positive front was very large in size (a lot of empty space) and with pretty quick access to everything. Our friends had a 1K room in the Lido building - which was a bit more remote on the property, and seemed quieter. Though their room felt kinda dark even with the windows/curtains open.

Overall experience was good as a Globalist: 4pm checkout was offered up front, valet was free and the crew was fast. Though it's a small traffic circle and you sometimes got stuck waiting between cars during rush checkin times. Breakfast at SHOR was solid. We tried just about everything on the menu, and nothing sub-par except maybe the Avocado Toast -- which only suffered from having been served on a slice of too-thin bread given all the otherwise good ingredients piled on top. Entree standouts included the Huevos Rancheros, Crab Cakes, Steak & Eggs, and French Toast. In terms of quality, I'd concur with what others said above, not as good as WaterTable at HB down the street, but better than most HR's in the Cat3 range. The lobby bar staff was also great, and globalist processing is automatic -- we didn't have to remind anybody to remove any charges from our bills on checkout.

Pool experience was decent. It was super-crowded on account of the holiday weekend. We booked a cabana expecting the busy weekend, and we definitely saw a lot of people circling the pool unsuccessfully looking for empty chairs to sit in. The slide is a bit weird -- pretty short, and just sorta levels out as opposed to emptying into a pool. Upside of this is the height requirement is pretty low, so even our little one could ride it. But even he got bored of it pretty quickly. The food selection seemed pretty limited -- you purchase food and your waiter would give you tickets to go redeem for items at the BBQ station. But the staff was all friendly and fast.

The resort fee was waived as a Globalist, and it's something that a lot of visitors online complain about since most people don't use the included amenities. We didn't really take advantage of the free beach cruisers -- it's still a bit of a long ride to the beach as this property is on the other side of PCH, so would've been largely limited to running around the Newport back bay. Which could be pretty nice -- but it just felt too hot for it over the past weekend. The golf course is also free -- I'm not a golfer but it seemed a bit small -- though could be good for a pressure-free intro-to-golf experience with free loaner equipment. We did kill some time playing tennis at the club next door (also free).

All in all, a pretty decent experience. At current cash rates (~$450/night), I probably wouldn't stay here -- it's not worth anywhere near that even if one does take advantage of all the resort-fee tacked-on amenities. On a revenue stay, I'd probably pony up a few extra dollars and go stay at the HR HB down the street -- which is beach adjacent and has much better pools and slides for the kids (and adults). And at the points rate, for a getaway I'd probably head down to San Diego instead to the GH Manchester or the HR Mission Bay. But if you're sitting on a Cat4 certificate or four and need to use them in Orange County at some place not Disneyland-related, this place may be your best bet.
24.05.2004 and River in Sight like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.