Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:30 pm

Mods: You may want to change the thread name to the Regency as there are about a half a dozen Hyatts in San Antonio now.

Just finished an extended stay and could not have been better. The staff was great, from check-in to check-out. The front desk staff were warm and welcoming. They even offered a glass of bubbly during check-in. The hotel is a 1990s throwback atrium style, but it did not suffer many of the problems of atrium style hotels. Since one side is all glass facing the river, it felt more like outside than a prison yard. Most of the lower floors are also very open, adding to the spaciousness. The room was nice. They gave me one overlooking the Alamo, which was appreciated. Amenities were the Dr. Zogs, or whatever the usual brand is called. Breakfast is in the Q restaurant, choice of a la carte or buffet. The buffet is a buffet. The a la carte offered some variations like breakfast tacos, breakfast burrito, breakfast torta, and bananas foster pancakes. I didn't have the pleasure too many times due to having to leave early, but I wasn't disappointed the times that I did get to have breakfast. The MKT Place is essentially a hotel version of Starbucks. They have coffee, pastries, sandwiches, snacks, and a decent selection of prepacked food, including many healthy selections. It's where I was most mornings b/c they open at 6am, and the woman working the counter each morning couldn't have been nicer. Laundry is expensive, but done well. There aren't any dry cleaners or laundries within walking distance of downtown, so options are limited. I didn't have a car, but the garage is across the street. The location is right on the riverwalk. Right on the riverwalk. You are no more than a 10 min walk from most things downtown and a 3 min walk to the Alamo. There's also a decent little mall with a great movie theater. If you starve in San Antonio, you simply aren't trying. There are more restaurants than you could shake a stick at, though some are geared more toward the tourist trade. A 5-8 dollar Uber ride will expand your options greatly. I came to like the city a lot. Friendly people, nice, clean (for a city), good food, nice architecture. The population swells a lot on the weekends, but people were generally well-behaved, if a bit loud at times. Again, it's a city. Show me one that isn't loud at times, and I will show you one that I don't want to live in. No complaints at all, except that they need a dry cleaner downtown. I will be heading back often for long-ish stays and, at this point, the HRSA gave me no reason to stay anywhere else.
laxsnaogg likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
I've stayed here twice in the past few months and have been treated well as a Globalist. Both times I've been upgraded to a premium suite when booking their lowest category room (1 stay on a free night certificate and 1 stay booking a Member Rate). Overall I think this hotel is a great option if visiting San Antonio and the location is hard to beat.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BA
Is the location of this Hyatt Regency (on the Riverwalk) enough to justify staying here over the newer/nicer Grand Hyatt (which also has a lounge)?
Old May 8, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
Is the location of this Hyatt Regency (on the Riverwalk) enough to justify staying here over the newer/nicer Grand Hyatt (which also has a lounge)?
Stayed at both many times. I prefer the Hyatt Regency over the Grand. The Grand is frankly very bland. The suites are very nice at the Regency, the breakfast is good (better than Grand club lounge), there are floor to ceiling windows in all rooms, the location is a bit better, the architecture is more unique and tied into the Alamo and Riverwalk, the rooftop pool is very nice, and the people are very professional.

If if your all about free food then the Grand offers more of it throughout the day.... and the Grand was recently renovated, but to me the Grand feels like a convention hotel that could be in any city.... the Regency is more integrated into San Antonio.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Stayed at both many times. I prefer the Hyatt Regency over the Grand. The Grand is frankly very bland. The suites are very nice at the Regency, the breakfast is good (better than Grand club lounge), there are floor to ceiling windows in all rooms, the location is a bit better, the architecture is more unique and tied into the Alamo and Riverwalk, the rooftop pool is very nice, and the people are very professional.

If if your all about free food then the Grand offers more of it throughout the day.... and the Grand was recently renovated, but to me the Grand feels like a convention hotel that could be in any city.... the Regency is more integrated into San Antonio.
I agree. For touring San Antonio, especially by foot, the Regency location is really centrally located and its a very pleasant hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I'm very disappointed to write this, but I had to walk out this week right after checking in to the Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk (the property that I stayed at first on my WOH account back in 2020). The property is undergoing major renovations that are obviously impacting operations. The staff has already made this right with a full refund as well as much-appreciated bonus compensation, so at least, the service is as good as I remember.

For elaboration, multiple floors of rooms are completely closed off with fully-gutted rooms (you can see in from the atrium) and loud renovation noises. My first room had large chunks of food (either popcorn or nuts) in multiple places, suggesting vacuuming was not done thoroughly, as well as a dripping faucet and a broken tub drain. My second room had no hot water (after leaving it running for at least 5 minutes). Believing that the hot water issue was caused by the renovations and not wanting to deal with intermittent hot water issues, I asked if I could walk and get a refund, which the property nicely allowed me to. I ended up driving home a day early, which was sad. I'm very grateful for their flexibility and service recovery and am excited to stay here again once renovations are complete - I can't wait to see what the rooms will look like.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I'm very disappointed to write this, but I had to walk out this week right after checking in to the Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk (the property that I stayed at first on my WOH account back in 2020). The property is undergoing major renovations that are obviously impacting operations. The staff has already made this right with a full refund as well as much-appreciated bonus compensation, so at least, the service is as good as I remember.

For elaboration, multiple floors of rooms are completely closed off with fully-gutted rooms (you can see in from the atrium) and loud renovation noises. My first room had large chunks of food (either popcorn or nuts) in multiple places, suggesting vacuuming was not done thoroughly, as well as a dripping faucet and a broken tub drain. My second room had no hot water (after leaving it running for at least 5 minutes). Believing that the hot water issue was caused by the renovations and not wanting to deal with intermittent hot water issues, I asked if I could walk and get a refund, which the property nicely allowed me to. I ended up driving home a day early, which was sad. I'm very grateful for their flexibility and service recovery and am excited to stay here again once renovations are complete - I can't wait to see what the rooms will look like.
I noticed that the website has been updated with photos of the renovated rooms - they look nice, but a bit plain.

Perhaps, I'll have to head down to SA to give this one another chance.
Old May 6, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Gold
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr

The suites are very nice at the Regency, ...
Does anyone know what the standard suite is at the Regency? The website only says which ones are premium suites. Looking to use a suite upgrade award and want to check availability.

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pgesting
Does anyone know what the standard suite is at the Regency? The website only says which ones are premium suites. Looking to use a suite upgrade award and want to check availability.

Thanks!

Atrium and Riverbend suite
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by pgesting

Thanks!
We are checking out today , only neg in our book was we were Upgraded to a Riverbend suite which will decline in the future, main reason is its 2 connecting rooms and the bedroom has windows that face the atirum so you dont get any sunlight and its dark. The other room has a board table which is great if you plan to have meetings with several people and a small TY area. WE felt a room with windows facing the outside would suit us better even if alot smaller since we hardly used the 2nd room anyways. Also you see very little of the RW from the window anyway . Just make sure not to get an interior facing room unless darkness is your thing

We saw the GH from our walks on Riverwalk and were happy we didnt end up staying there as The HR is smack in the middle of everthing on the Riverwalk while the GH is a good 10-15 min walk with most of in a bland setting, We didnt go into the GH
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Gold
Originally Posted by theroz
We are checking out today , only neg in our book was we were Upgraded to a Riverbend suite which will decline in the future, main reason is its 2 connecting rooms and the bedroom has windows that face the atirum so you dont get any sunlight and its dark. The other room has a board table which is great if you plan to have meetings with several people and a small TY area. WE felt a room with windows facing the outside would suit us better even if alot smaller since we hardly used the 2nd room anyways. Also you see very little of the RW from the window anyway . Just make sure not to get an interior facing room unless darkness is your thing

We saw the GH from our walks on Riverwalk and were happy we didnt end up staying there as The HR is smack in the middle of everything on the Riverwalk while the GH is a good 10-15 min walk with most of in a bland setting, We didnt go into the GH
I had the same experience. I had the riverbend suite and the main room faced the atrium. I spent most of my time in the connecting room with the board room table which had really nice windows that faced outside (mine room did not face the riverwalk). I did not mind it since I liked the extra space, but I agree that it was a bit weird how the rooms were set up. I also stayed at the GH and had a great suite, and the GH club was open. But the GH did not have a room for my whole stay so I tried both places. I liked the GH better since I was there for a conference in the convention center, but I agree that the HR has a much better riverwalk location. But I walked from the GH at least once or twice per day down to the riverwalk and it was not bad at all, about 5 minutes and it is a nice walk since the whole walk is along the "extension" of the riverwalk that leads to the convention center.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by theroz
<snip>We saw the GH from our walks on Riverwalk and were happy we didnt end up staying there as The HR is smack in the middle of everthing on the Riverwalk while the GH is a good 10-15 min walk with most of in a bland setting, We didnt go into the GH
Funny, that is literally exactly why we prefer the GH to this property. We absolutely hate being "smack in the middle of everything" and prefer to walk to "everything" when/if desired. I hate walking out of a hotel immediately into a sea of humanity. We love walking and frankly enjoy the walk from the GH to the middle of everything.

Different strokes, for different folks as they say...

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.