FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/133419-sydney-park-hyatt-review-master-thread-pre-renovation-2011-a.html)

m0hamed Jan 11, 2012 2:56 am

Sounds like they are taking the approach of offering the least amount if compensation possible, unless more is demanded, or customer affairs are involved.

In future, call the US Diamond Line to invoke the best room available benefit on the day of arrival. I have done this when the hotel tries to shirk its obligations with the 'one level upgrade' nonsense.

I can say for a fact that the Park Kings on Hickson Road are seldom allocated for Diamonds except during 100% occupancy such as NYE.

toflyer Jan 11, 2012 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Phlebas (Post 17790570)
Was your call also from the GM? Interesting that toflyer (also a diamond, also an award reservation) was called on the same day, and offered nada. (see post #473).

After some back and forth with the hotel (mainly the GM, who has actually been quite helpful), the hotel has offered compensation which in my mind is reasonable. Still not as gracious as SPG but very reasonable.

LarkSFO Jan 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by toflyer (Post 17793415)
After some back and forth with the hotel (mainly the GM, who has actually been quite helpful), the hotel has offered compensation which in my mind is reasonable. Still not as gracious as SPG but very reasonable.

Excellent, glad to hear it!

Can't wait to hear the reports from the first people who actually do get to stay here!

RichardInSF Jan 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 17788838)
Moreover, a hotel of this level must do the right thing. They should no less than have someone working full time to re-accommodate all reserved guests in like or better accommodation. Nothing less is acceptable. One - it's a part of being that level. Two - it becomes a cost of doing business for them, more important than several others that they will continue to incur during this fiasco. Cutting corners here is more expensive than shows on the books.

The problem here is that many of us would feel that there is no like or better accommodation in Sydney. The FS is certainly OK if you are in a harbor view junior suite or better, but still not really stunning based on my inspection. Someone mentioned Banyan Tree above, but I don't think there is any Banyan Tree in Sydney (or maybe even in Australia).

The Marriott Circular Quay, also mentioned in this thread, is several notches below the PH and really very ordinary.

frogss29 Jan 11, 2012 4:10 pm

If the main objective of a stay is to be on the harbour, then PH Sydney is definitely the very best - can't think of any other hotel with this amazing outlook.
But there are other great hotels in Sydney or in nearby suburbs.

LarkSFO Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 17795600)
The Marriott Circular Quay, also mentioned in this thread, is several notches below the PH and really very ordinary.

We had an excellent stay at the Marriott, it achieves exactly what it intends to achieve!

That being said, it is rather ordinary in comparison to a hotel like the PH Sydney (which I have not stayed at yet, by the way).

louie-m Jan 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Reopening 13 February according to this.

BAGoldBoy Feb 6, 2012 5:43 am

We have a stay booked at end of February on points. I have been checking the room rate for our stay but it's been stuck at A$850 per night until today when I just get a message saying that the hotel isn't taking bookings :(

LarkSFO Feb 6, 2012 7:34 am

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy (Post 17960491)
We have a stay booked at end of February on points. I have been checking the room rate for our stay but it's been stuck at A$850 per night until today when I just get a message saying that the hotel isn't taking bookings :(

I don't really understand what you are saying.

Did they cancel your points booking? What dates?

Why are you looking at revenue bookings? For a second room, or just to verify that the hotel will, in fact, be open?

Hope it works out for you...

BAGoldBoy Feb 6, 2012 11:14 am

1. Checking revenue rates in case the rate got more reasonable
2. Can no longer book the dates we had secured

Seems strange that two days ago they were taking bookings

seiknujnama Feb 6, 2012 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy (Post 17962302)
1. Checking revenue rates in case the rate got more reasonable
2. Can no longer book the dates we had secured

Seems strange that two days ago they were taking bookings

Apparently they may postpone opening date again!

LarkSFO Feb 6, 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by irwin8417 (Post 17962906)
Apparently they may postpone opening date again!

Actually, if you try and book you get an error message indicating that the property may be fully booked on the night(s) you are looking for...

So, one possibility is that they are accepting reservations in general, but that they may be completely booked on specific dates...

The page linked above does still indicate a 2/13 opening date.

y2chen Feb 6, 2012 2:05 pm

I walked by and around the hotel a week ago along the shore, and they didn't look close to opening. Of the ground level rooms that I could see, there were rolls of carpet still propped up against the sliding doors, dust covering the windows, etc. It very much had the look of just a shell of a building, but of course, I couldn't see all that much inside. It hasn't helped that it just keeps raining in Sydney either.

LarkSFO Feb 6, 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by y2chen (Post 17963535)
I walked by and around the hotel a week ago along the shore, and they didn't look close to opening. Of the ground level rooms that I could see, there were rolls of carpet still propped up against the sliding doors, dust covering the windows, etc. It very much had the look of just a shell of a building, but of course, I couldn't see all that much inside. It hasn't helped that it just keeps raining in Sydney either.

Is it possible that they will open at 50% capacity (or 25% or 75%) and only allow booking in the rooms that are completed while they finish upgrading the rest? This seems to be fairly typical with hotel refurbs...

mtkeller Feb 6, 2012 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 17964506)
Is it possible that they will open at 50% capacity (or 25% or 75%) and only allow booking in the rooms that are completed while they finish upgrading the rest? This seems to be fairly typical with hotel refurbs...

I would guess only if they're able to isolate the refurbished area from the part still being worked on in such a way that the guests would have to go out of their way to encounter the work still in progress. Seems like it wouldn't be the Sydney PH if the guests were encountering contractors finishing the work.