FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/133419-sydney-park-hyatt-review-master-thread-pre-renovation-2011-a.html)

camw Dec 5, 2011 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 17573398)
Please
Do share how you got upgraded to the Diplomatic suite?

Hi, this was a diamond upgrade. Did not have to ask or prompt for it.

777 global mile hound Dec 5, 2011 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by camw (Post 17573484)
Hi, this was a diamond upgrade. Did not have to ask or prompt for it.

How long ago?

camw Dec 5, 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 17573691)
How long ago?

March 2010.

777 global mile hound Dec 5, 2011 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by camw (Post 17573742)
March 2010.

Thanks I suspected it may have been awhile ago.
I had one last suite upgrade in 2002 however the hotel demanded extra revenue to do so............
So it was a kinda sorta upgrade :D

The property has had numerous mangement changes over the years and the business culture regarding upgrades has been all over the map.
IMO suites are likely to get even tighter as demand increases with the hotels closure and the property wanting to maximize every last cent of the renovation.

Has anyone reviewed cancellation policies and costs on buying suites here?
It's going to be sticker shock except for the wealthiest of folks

SMK77 Dec 6, 2011 1:06 am

GM of PHS informed by e-mail today that the official opening is now February 1, 2012.

Shanye2233 Dec 6, 2011 3:28 am

terrible news i have been waiting and waiting for it to open for NYE I have a res already back-up just in case at the marriott circular quay. I rang the resident manager and he told me there is no where to view the fireworks in that property , so i was really hoping for the SPH.

wpj Dec 15, 2011 5:47 pm

from website:
--
The much anticipated opening date for Park Hyatt Sydney has been confirmed as 1 February 2012.

The iconic Park Hyatt Sydney is set to re-open soon after the largest and most comprehensive transformation in its 21 year history.

When Park Hyatt Sydney opens its doors it will feature three new exclusive rooftop suites built on a new fourth level. Every aspect of the hotel has been dramatically transformed, setting a new benchmark in contemporary luxury. Architecturally designed guest rooms feature floor-to-ceiling glass that open onto private balconies, honouring Park Hyatt Sydney's coveted harbour front location. Renowned Australian artists including sculptors, painters and a photographer have been commissioned to create artwork especially for the new hotel.

The hotel’s restaurants and bar, private dining rooms, day spa and recreational facilities have also been enhanced to reinforce Park Hyatt Sydney’s position as one of Australia’s premier hotels.

Park Hyatt Sydney will open its doors on 1 February 2012, and is now accepting reservations for this date onwards.

For further information, please phone +61 2 9256 1234.

RichardInSF Dec 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Sounds good, but I love them saying their refurbished rooms are "architecturally designed." Am trying to imagine what a significant construction project that was not architecturally designed would be like.

m0hamed Dec 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 17635487)
Sounds good, but I love them saying their refurbished rooms are "architecturally designed." Am trying to imagine what a significant construction project that was not architecturally designed would be like.

Lego?

SMK77 Dec 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Two preview pictures of the new rooms at the PHS:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...late-this-year

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irwin84...4652/lightbox/

Firewind Dec 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Thank you, SMK77. You have a couple of harbour view shots in there that remind me a lot of the view from the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, though the hotel decor in the photos right before and after is certainly not GH HKG.

SMK77 Dec 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 17642958)
Thank you, SMK77. You have a couple of harbour view shots in there that remind me a lot of the view from the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, though the hotel decor in the photos right before and after is certainly not GH HKG.

I think the mock-up looks very Park Hyatt like... Can't wait to give it a try in March! Will post some more pictures after my stay!

holtju2 Dec 21, 2011 3:04 pm

What is going on with the opening? According to the website the hotel is due out to reopen on February 1st. You cannot, however, book it before February 16th onwards.

BKKROP Dec 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 17573938)
IMO suites are likely to get even tighter as demand increases with the hotels closure and the property wanting to maximize every last cent of the renovation.

Has anyone reviewed cancellation policies and costs on buying suites here?
It's going to be sticker shock except for the wealthiest of folks

As I recall, there never were a lot of suites at this property, very much like trying to grab a suite in Saigon, but at least SYD did try to give diamonds a decent outlook. I have never been put right down the end or in one of the smaller rooms. This hotel will be like the ShangriLa in Paris, open your door to the balcony and voila, there is the view, you just paid $900 for that!!!!

toflyer Jan 3, 2012 12:12 pm

I have a 2 night reservation at this property on Feb 1... and now a little nervous about the opening.