FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

PETERPNYC May 29, 2012 6:37 am

Originally Posted by johnyip (Post 18652866)
What a treasure trove of information!

I'm researching a stay and want to know what happens when you redeem a 6,000 point suite upgrade. Do you get a continental breakfast like you would if the hotel had a club lounge? Any other inclusions people have been offered?

Is that 6,000 points for a Suite upgrade for a paid basic room night ? And basic room IIRC is either park queen or park twin

King is considered a Deluxe King and not a standard room

peteropny May 29, 2012 8:54 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 18658874)
Is that 6,000 points for a Suite upgrade for a paid basic room night ? And basic room IIRC is either park queen or park twin

King is considered a Deluxe King and not a standard room

6,000 points suite upgrade is for up to 4 nights with a paid rate of the Hyatt Daily rate for the room itself.

lalala Jun 2, 2012 5:56 am

I would skip the Nikes unless they are air Jordan's and you are wearing big baggy rapper jeans. I have seen that at a few 3 stars in the past.

Go for the Parisian male weekend look - topsiders and tight fitted chino pants. Do not forget sweater tied over shoulders under your blazer.

Valveking Jun 6, 2012 1:38 pm

I just booked three reward nights at the PHV- 2 from the Hyatt CC and 1 with Chase points. They are in a Park Queen. Has anybody had any luck paying to upgrade to a higher room level or using points to do so?

HaryoS Jun 6, 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Valveking (Post 18709913)
I just booked three reward nights at the PHV- 2 from the Hyatt CC and 1 with Chase points. They are in a Park Queen. Has anybody had any luck paying to upgrade to a higher room level or using points to do so?

Using points is not possible, according Terms and Condition of Hyatt Gold Passport.

However, you may try to call or email the property about the upgrade cost. I see nothing wrong in doing this. Good luck! ^

missydarlin Jun 6, 2012 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino (Post 18640618)
Thanks everyone for the feedback; it has helped me decided on the following:

I'll consider bringing the glove leather walking shoes (still very casual but a lot less eye-catching than the red-on-white running shoes), BUT, if after looking through our other dining ideas the only place I would wear them would be Pur, then the walking shoes stay home. I'm not going to carry them around for 3 weeks just to use them for one dinner.

Why would you only wear them for Pur? Wouldn't they be appropriate for any meal? Or...walking?

edgewood49 Jun 6, 2012 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin (Post 18710746)
Why would you only wear them for Pur? Wouldn't they be appropriate for any meal? Or...walking?

I would not worry about what your wearing other than no flip flops and cut offs

dress code in Pur is paying the bill !

OsakaWino Jun 6, 2012 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin (Post 18710746)

I meant if the only place I HAD to wear them was Pur, meaning that if running shoes wear acceptable in every other place we would eat. I think the shoe industry calls these things walking shoes because they would certainly be better for walking than stiff leather shoes, but for walking 10 miles a day, they certainly are not that comfortable vs running shoes.

happy2traveler202 Jun 7, 2012 6:03 pm

Is there a concierge/club floor in this hotel and if so, how was the breakfast there and what amenities were there? I'm only platinum but if I can use extra points to know I'll have a free breakfast it might be worth it.

broadwayboy Jun 7, 2012 6:44 pm

No.
Most Park Hyatts do not have lounges. Hamburg and Melbourne are 2 of the few properties that have them.

Originally Posted by happy2traveler202 (Post 18718083)
Is there a concierge/club floor in this hotel and if so, how was the breakfast there and what amenities were there?

redtop43 Jun 8, 2012 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Valveking (Post 18709913)

I tried every angle I could think of to do so, and was not successful.

I was staying 6 nights - 4 on CC and 2 on points. Eventually I decided to use the 2 points nights for a stay at a different hotel and booked 4 nights in a suite on points. We're in a Park Queen the last two nights, have a vague hope they'll let us keep the suite, but am not counting on it.

Even if they allow you to pay to upgrade, remember the cost will be steep. I think the difference in the website rate is about 120-150 euros per night.

SPLP007 Jun 8, 2012 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by happy2traveler202 (Post 18718083)
Is there a concierge/club floor in this hotel and if so, how was the breakfast there and what amenities were there? I'm only platinum but if I can use extra points to know I'll have a free breakfast it might be worth it.

Brkfst is FANTASTIC and so is the service cost Approx $65.00 Per Person --

I did have problems at the hotel not everything is fantastic

wondering if others had problems and what they were an what they did about it

We had a suite for 3 nights

Left dirty dishes in room from the morning --when I called duty mgr I was told a LIE was told my do not disturb sign was on --- meanwhile they did enter room to turn down beds at night

WC had no hot water only cold

person refilling mini bar area dropped coffee cups on floor in front of us and put them out to be used by us( had him remove them an replace )

first day newspaper delivered sometime after 9

had cfmd reservation made 7 months ago for 3 nights-- they sent me an e/m 2 days before my arrival that we had a reservation for one night, took 4 overseas phone calls to hotel to resolve

sent a e/m to mgr requesting some good will points -- got back a C-O-L-D e/m saying not in a position to do

edgewood49 Jun 8, 2012 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007 (Post 18722779)

Left dirty dishes in room from the morning --when I called duty mgr I was told a LIE was told my do not disturb sign was on --- meanwhile they did enter room to turn down beds at night

person refilling mini bar area dropped coffee cups on floor in front of us and put them out to be used by us( had him remove them an replace )

had cfmd reservation made 7 months ago for 3 nights-- they sent me an e/m 2 days before my arrival that we had a reservation for one night, took 4 overseas phone calls to hotel to resolve

sent a e/m to mgr requesting some good will points -- got back a C-O-L-D e/m saying not in a position to do

does not sound like the PHV that we stay at !

SPLP007 Jun 8, 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49 (Post 18723042)
does not sound like the PHV that we stay at !

everything i said was true , if it was just another hotel , some of the things I would have closed my eyes to. From all that i read on f/t I expected nothing like this ---maybe just bad luck on my part? -- but I do think they should have replied to my e/m with some kind of -- points or on ur next visit......... etc. not a cold as ice letter

hard to believe everyone had "perfect" stays and not a thing went wrong . if so, that is even more of a reason to expect a better reply

edgewood49 Jun 8, 2012 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007 (Post 18723200)
everything i said was true , if it was just another hotel , some of the things I would have closed my eyes to. From all that i read on f/t I expected nothing like this ---maybe just bad luck on my part? -- but I do think they should have replied to my e/m with some kind of -- points or on ur next visit......... etc. not a cold as ice letter

hard to believe everyone had "perfect" stays and not a thing went wrong . if so, that is even more of a reason to expect a better reply

I would call Hyatt and talk to some one live no emails. Good luck and sorry to hear this happened to you.

nighthawkrs Jun 9, 2012 2:08 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007 (Post 18722779)

That's indeed a bit strange. During my first stay there nearly everything was perfect. And I really have an eye for details. We only had one "mishappening", and that was taken care of pretty fast and in a good way.

SPLP007 Jun 9, 2012 3:08 am

Originally Posted by nighthawkrs (Post 18725498)
That's indeed a bit strange. During my first stay there nearly everything was perfect. And I really have an eye for details. We only had one "mishappening", and that was taken care of pretty fast and in a good way.

What was the misshape ?
How did they take care of

I have a friend who stayed the week before me in the same hotel , he called for a wake up call ( did not use automatic line) two days in a row , they never called him! -- he mentioned it to duty mgr and they put under his door a hand written note apologizing with G.W. points

I have stayed in 5 star hotels for the past 40 years all over the world , I can tell you all had great physical plants and what made the difference! was when something went wrong it was handled correctly and you left the hotel saying to yourself "THEY ARE GOOD! WHAT A GREAT PLACE"

nighthawkrs Jun 9, 2012 6:40 am

My checkout took 25 minutes. Not with waiting because of too many people beeing helped before me, simply because of a printer issue and one error on my bill.

I solved this with my contact at the hotel, was told it will be investigated for future improvements, got an apology and some points.
For me that reaction is fine, I will definitly stay there again next time.

I totally agree with you, the best hotels make the difference in problem handling. And all Park Hyatts I had problems during or after my stay really solved thess to my satisfaction!

SPLP007 Jun 9, 2012 7:25 am

Originally Posted by nighthawkrs (Post 18726039)
My checkout took 25 minutes. Not with waiting because of too many people beeing helped before me, simply because of a printer issue and one error on my bill.

I solved this with my contact at the hotel, was told it will be investigated for future improvements, got an apology and some points.
For me that reaction is fine, I will definitly stay there again next time.

I totally agree with you, the best hotels make the difference in problem handling. And all Park Hyatts I had problems during or after my stay really solved thess to my satisfaction!

Thanks for info -- I am now scratching my head!! why they would think your experience or my friends ( ref above wake up call ) was worse than mine( yes you deserve the points ) ,I needed to make 4 overseas phone calls to correct my reservation -- just unbelievable that a 5 star hotel can be so arbitrary in how they handle clients

JoshC Jun 10, 2012 12:26 pm

WOW - I am surprised to hear about the bad things happening to some at this hotel. I am actually at the PHV as I type this and other than one item misplaced by laundry all has been wonderful. Both of my visits here have been near perfect. I really enjoy staying at this location - so much I am actually paying with cash on a personal visit (had to use Diamond status to get a room as they are sold out) and not with points as the point rooms were not available as with my earlier stay.

The one item misplaced is only a Tumi med folding pack that I gave them when I checked in at 8am the other day. The room understandably was not ready when I arrived so I gave them the pack so all of my dressier clothing in it could be pressed and ready for wear that evening and so on. I then went to wonder around Paris and a few hours later the room was ready. I called the desk after the clothing was delivered informing them about the loss and they have been looking for it. They are actually a little over apologetic about it and hopefully it turns up before I depart on Tuesday.

Luckily, I will not have a problem with check out as I rarely do it in person. I simply call down, tell them and go. They can email me the bill, my time is worth more than waiting for a printed copy to me. :)

SPLP007 Jun 10, 2012 12:46 pm

[QUOTE=JoshC;18731833]WOW - I am surprised to hear about the bad things happening to some at this hotel. I am actually at the PHV as I type this and other than one item misplaced by laundry all has been wonderful. Both of my visits here have been near perfect. I really enjoy staying at this location - so much I am actually paying with cash on a personal visit (had to use Diamond status to get a room as they are sold out) and not with points as the point rooms were not available as with my earlier stay.

The one item misplaced is only a Tumi med folding pack that I gave them when I checked in at 8am the other day. The room understandably was not ready when I arrived so I gave them the pack so all of my dressier clothing in it could be pressed and ready for wear that evening and so on. I then went to wonder around Paris and a few hours later the room was ready. I called the desk after the clothing was delivered informing them about the loss and they have been looking for it. They are actually a little over apologetic about it and hopefully it turns up before I depart on Tuesday.

Luckily, I will not have a problem with check out as I rarely do it in person. I simply call down, tell them and go. They can email me the bill, my time is worth more than waiting for a printed copy to me. :)[/QUOTE saying I think ur saying that the hotel lost and can not find ur dressier clothes that are now missing

Well at least we now find out that not everything works perfectly at the hotel and when that happens it all comes down to how they handle the problem! ---as I think your saying they lost your Tumi ( valet pack ) and after looking for a full day they can not find it --- my experience --if a hotel lost item is not found quickly --it stays lost !-- suggest on ur walks in Paris start to look for a replacement , I would request a reimbursement if u need to buy one . If you are like me --some things become old friends and hate to lose them -- good luck on finding it and enjoy Paris

JoshC Jun 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Yes, the valet is what is missing. All of the clothing made it back to me so the trip is not damaged by spending half a day trying to find something to wear and then another day re-ordering my fitted shirts/jackets.

The Manager has insisted on replacing the bag/items already - and keeps saying he does not expect me to pay for anything. (I assume he means the press job.)

I just received a call from him (2nd one today from the desk total) and I had a little trouble getting him to understand that only the bag is missing and I have the clothes. He seemed rather relieved when it did sink in as he was expecting the worst scenario.

Luckily as I said, it is just the bag ($45 or so) and although I like the item, it is easily replaced and its loss certainly will not ruin my trip. :)

I will give an update on how it goes after check out Tuesday - or when I have one.

SPLP007 Jun 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Luckily as I said, it is just the bag ($45 or so) and although I like the item, it is easily replaced and its loss certainly will not ruin my trip. :)

I will give an update on how it goes after check out Tuesday - or when I have one.[/QUOTE]

for some reason I thought in terms of a "leather " pack like this at $695.00

http://www.luggagepros.com/tumi-arri...xe-brief.shtml

raden Jun 12, 2012 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac (Post 18633166)
'Will you be okay' as in 'will they let you in'? Of course, no-one will say a word and you will be attended to with excellent grace. There is absolutely no need for a blazer or jacket.

The Nikes. 'Will you be okay' as in 'will everyone instantly know that you are an American'? Yes. 111%. Only Americans would possibly consider Nikes to be suitable footwear in a Michelin-starred restaurant in a 'palace' hotel in the global home of fine fashion. You may as well wear a fanny pack and a Yankees cap.

If you don't care that the rest of the restaurant will be sighing in Gallic condescension, then wear the Nikes. If you do, then find the space for the decent shoes.

PS this is all meant in good grace, but honestly. No-one will ever say anything, but the Nikes mean that they will all be thinking 'look at that uncouth American'

Don't take it the wrong way but you are in the style capital of the world. Wear a sharp suit and some good shoes - you'll feel better for it.

JoshC Jun 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards

I would have to agree - dress appropriately for your own good. Whenever there is a question - there is no question.

Well, the found my Tumi bag. I walked in the room last night and there it was. And for the trouble they waived the cleaning/pressing fees that by all rights should have been over $100 total. At this rate, I hope they loose something on the next trip.... Again, I could not be happier with this location. I will certainly be back.

Alpha Jun 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Can anyone comment on whether a club level room is worth an extra 5K points per night?

redtop43 Jun 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha (Post 18773076)
Can anyone comment on whether a club level room is worth an extra 5K points per night?

I don't think PHV has club rooms. The choices are a Park Queen or Park Twin for 22K points or a suite for 33K.

Alpha Jun 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 18773110)
I don't think PHV has club rooms. The choices are a Park Queen or Park Twin for 22K points or a suite for 33K.

Got it. Thanks.

Alpha Jun 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Is it worth 11K points extra for the suite?

edgewood49 Jun 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha (Post 18773194)
Is it worth 11K points extra for the suite?

In April I got a Park King Suite for 28K per night and it was well well worth it and this was not our first time here but having already been in Italy for a week the extra large bathroom with hangers and built in's worked well.

Will book same again next year.

SPLP007 Jun 18, 2012 11:01 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49 (Post 18773209)
In April I got a Park King Suite for 28K per night and it was well well worth it and this was not our first time here but having already been in Italy for a week the extra large bathroom with hangers and built in's worked well.

How did u get it for 28k :confused:-- charts show it as 33k:eek:

stayed 2 weeks ago, suite ok to nice , have stayed in nicer suites in other hotels for same price or less but sure is better than a regular room --if do not spend a lot of time in room may not be worth the extra cost

edgewood49 Jun 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007 (Post 18776766)
How did u get it for 28k :confused:-- charts show it as 33k:eek:

stayed 2 weeks ago, suite ok to nice , have stayed in nicer suites in other hotels for same price or less but sure is better than a regular room --if do not spend a lot of time in room may not be worth the extra cost

booked 22K a night reward, called Diamond desk and they got me suite upgrade for 6K a night.

I would suppose if you only came in for the night and slept, got up showered and left but we were on a two week trip and enjoyed being able to just relax in a larger room with a lot of room i in the bathrooms!

Conversely we had a standard queen in Milan and it was beautiful a bit small but never the less a Park Hyatt room! If you have not tried the Milan property I would encourage you to and it's only a little over an hour to Como by car. easy drive.

PETERPNYC Jun 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49 (Post 18773209)

I stayed in Deluxe King Room that had a nice size bathroom . When you say hangers and built ins if you are referring to the closet I had a large walk in closet.

I also had hooks for our robes in bathroom. I had a small table round with a chair , And a wall desk / workplace but it was not called a Suite.

crimson12 Jun 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 18783777)
I stayed in Deluxe King Room that had a nice size bathroom . When you say hangers and built ins if you are referring to the closet I had a large walk in closet.

I also had hooks for our robes in bathroom. I had a small table round with a chair , And a wall desk / workplace but it was not called a Suite.

That's essentially what we had and we were in a "Park Queen". We did not, however, have a walk in closet. The bathroom was quite large -- separate shower and bathtub, and everything you mentioned was in the rest of the room, but it was a little tight (especially because we had a crib). But we did have a nice little terrace that looked out onto Rue de la Paix where we could drink champagne after the baby went to sleep.

None of which is particularly relevant to your post but, sigh, that was a nice time.

edgewood49 Jun 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 18783777)

It appears that there are a number of differing configurations in the rooms and suites. I think if you have a small "terrace" or balcony to us in the US then you lose some of the size.

But having said that any room at the PHV is a great room !!!!

Also my vote for the best breakfast buffet going

need2ski Jun 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Generally, how are people returning to CDG at the end of their trip? Do people have the hotel arrange a car or taxi for them? I saw comments about taking the bus or train + metro in order to get to the hotel, but when having to make a flight I would image that people would like to be in a situation where they have a bit more control (Paris traffic aside).

I only read 10 or so pages of this thread, so I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but it appears as though rooms can become available for reward stays, even if the hotel was previously fully booked, as you get closer to your arrival date. In April I booked two free nights (Chase CC) for July 21-23. The final stage of the Tour de France is the 22nd so I was a bit surprised to be able to book a room. I wanted to book a room for the night of the 23rd as well (using one of my spouse's Chase CC free nights) being that our flight home is on the 24th, but would received the message indicating the hotel was fully booked. I held a room at the Westin as a backup and kept trying to book online. Low and behold, I was finally able to book a room earlier this month. The three nights should be nice based on the reviews in this thread. I'm glad I am staying at the PHV after four nights at the Hilton ADT.

JIMCHI Jun 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by need2ski (Post 18799046)
Generally, how are people returning to CDG at the end of their trip? Do people have the hotel arrange a car or taxi for them? I saw comments about taking the bus or train + metro in order to get to the hotel, but when having to make a flight I would image that people would like to be in a situation where they have a bit more control (Paris traffic aside).

We just returned from a stay at this hotel yesterday. We used Shuttle-Inter at a price of EUR 55. We left the hotel at 3 p.m. and due to heavy traffic in the city it took us almost an hour to get to CDG. (Coming in, it took us only 35 minutes). This company was great. Upon arrival at CDG the driver was right outside customs and his car parked right outside the door. On the return to CDG, he was at the hotel a few minutes before 3 p.m. Good, dependable, courteous service. We used a taxi on our last trip to Paris and due to traffic the meter ran up to EUR 75. I'm more comfortable with a fixed rate in cities with heavy traffic.

JIMCHI Jun 21, 2012 9:14 pm

We just completed an 8 day stay at the PH Vendome. The hotel and service were nothing short of 5 star. Upon check-in, a guest relations manager took us to our Executive Suite. Over the 8 day period, he continued to check on us to ensure everything was to our satisfaction. And upon check-out he was paged to come and offer a warm goodbye.

The Executive Suite was obviously originally two connecting rooms, now consisting of a bedroom and a sitting room with a sofa bed. As such, the suite has two identical, spacious bathrooms. Our daughter used the sofa bed the first night but it was so uncomfortable we requested a rollaway bed, which was very comfortable.

The hotel location is great- only about a 7 minute walk to the Opera metro station.

The Diamond breakfast was excellent and offers a choice of eggs or an omelet plus the buffet of pastries, fruits, cheeses and meats and a quiche.

The hotel and staff met our every expectation. It certainly will be our hotel of choice when visiting Paris.

iluv2fly Jun 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by need2ski (Post 18799046)

Unless you have a ton of luggage, the Roissy Bus works both to the PHV and back to CDG. I do it both ways all the time.

JIMCHI Jun 22, 2012 8:56 pm

I checked out the Roissy Bus at the Rue Scribe stop. It's not much different than a city bus. Would work just fine if you have just one medium sized bag and can lift it up the steps onto the bus and the luggage rack. The walk to the bus stop from the hotel is about 10 minutes. Certainly not suitable for anyone with more than one bag or for those unable to lift their own bags straight up.