Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
Believe it or not, some people don't like spending $30 for basically nothing.
So it's the principle of the thing? Hard to get a straight answer to what I thought was a simple question...
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
So it's the principle of the thing? Hard to get a straight answer to what I thought was a simple question...
The straight answer is that a lot of people think resort fees are a scam and waste of money and they prefer to spend that $30 or whatever on somethings else such a nice lunch, cocktails, etc. If you don't mind paying resort fees then have at it.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Is it the principle of the thing, or is $30 a night really such a showstopper?
It's a matter of principle for me.

The "resort" fee now includes what they used to give us for free (beach chairs & towels) and internet access (diamond benefit). The rest is pretty much garbage - phone calls? Seriously? I only use the phone to call within the hotel and sometimes I never use it.

My corporate rate isn't as good this year, I think it's around $200, versus the $179 I was paying, makes the corp rate not so special. However, I have to check the negotiated benefits. At one time they included breakfast for 1, no resort fee, and free internet access.

BUT - this year alone, they have been running at 90+ occupancy most of the time. Often it's 95% or sold out. That's probably the reason rates have climbed and they feel they don't have to give away the resort fee.

That, and I'm guessing the club is overrun with diamonds, and the $30 is really to cover the cost of the club
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mary2e
It's a matter of principle for me.

The "resort" fee now includes what they used to give us for free (beach chairs & towels) and internet access (diamond benefit). The rest is pretty much garbage - phone calls? Seriously? I only use the phone to call within the hotel and sometimes I never use it.

My corporate rate isn't as good this year, I think it's around $200, versus the $179 I was paying, makes the corp rate not so special. However, I have to check the negotiated benefits. At one time they included breakfast for 1, no resort fee, and free internet access.

BUT - this year alone, they have been running at 90+ occupancy most of the time. Often it's 95% or sold out. That's probably the reason rates have climbed and they feel they don't have to give away the resort fee.

That, and I'm guessing the club is overrun with diamonds, and the $30 is really to cover the cost of the club
I don't think that all that use the club are Diamonds, many many are Asians and have access included in rate, my thoughts.

Again I say ( and I do a lot of work for the hospitality industry) (construction) that if you look at the properties that are own by VC firms you will see the pattern. When the Japanese owner sold this hotel to GS, that marked the end of an era, first to go was the limo!

Sad
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:38 am

I, too, don't think there are many Diamonds in the Club lounge and that most are paid rates, including group rates. Many Diamonds, including myself (in the past) are likely to be business stopovers. Perhaps some Diamond leisure guests, of course, but this hotel is certainly not an "aspirational" property-not by a long shot.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is it the principle of the thing, or is $30 a night really such a showstopper?
It's a little of both, but for me it's mostly about the money.

They're not going to lower their rates, so this is really an across-the-board increase for Diamonds of $30 per night. It certainly affects the value proposition, and this property with its many flaws was already on the bubble for me. Especially since my recent Diamond upgrade was to a 7th floor traffic-view room.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a little of both, but for me it's mostly about the money.

They're not going to lower their rates, so this is really an across-the-board increase for Diamonds of $30 per night. It certainly affects the value proposition, and this property with its many flaws was already on the bubble for me. Especially since my recent Diamond upgrade was to a 7th floor traffic-view room.
They tend to default to the Asian travelers first, as for Diamonds I wrote my "My Hyatt Concierge " a short note on this. Not that anything will happen and looking at other properties for next stay or going to another island where there is still some intrinsic value
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Exactly - of the offering in the fee I probably use none of the 'benefits'.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:49 am

Resort fees are nothing but a way to raise the prices without advertising higher prices. The vast majority of people will not use the "amenities" or the "activities" included (with the exception of the water bottles) and it's a waste of money.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:33 am

I actually do, and always have, used to beach chair & towels.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They really need a stand on the beach. It's such a hassle going to the pool, then down the stairs, then across Kalakaua.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:27 am

Agree. Which is why I pick it up when I arrive and return it when I'm leaving
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I still remember trying to figure out how to close those chairs for the first time with twin 2 year olds and a 3 year old crying.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:36 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Agreed. It's a waste of money. Absolutely nothing for $
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
I will be staying here for the first time over the New Year - booked back in August. I just got this pre arrival mail, which I thought might be of interest ....

Following is a list of enhanced benefits you’ll receive as a valued Diamond Member:

- · A welcome lei upon arrival
- · Complimentary daily resort fee
- · Complimentary cocktails at the Regency Club lounge
- · 20% off pool cabana rentals
- · 15% orders at Kai Coffee
- · 15% off Na Ho’ola Spa retail items
- · 15% off food orders from SHOR, SWIM, & Japengo
- · Extended happy hour at SWIM pool bar to 4 p.m.-7 p.m.
- · Express check-in line on the far left of the front desk
- · Special offers from Star Beachboys concession on Waikiki beach
- · $25 off a minimum two-day car rental from Hertz Rent-a-Car
- · 24 hour texting service for anything and anytime 808-518-2844
- (Please include your name when sending your first text to us)

We are excited to announce that our highly anticipated full renovation of all guestrooms has been completed! Due to recent storms and floods in the Waikiki area, you may see our public areas undergoing minimal restoration. Please pardon our dust as we work hard to complete this project!

and a link to a time lapse video of a room renovation (forgive me if this has been posted before, I haven't managed to go through all the pages in this thread )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.