Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt 2023 Category Changes - speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

This thread will be open to discuss topics related to 2023 Category Changes which are typically announced in November and effective in March the following year.

One major issue I see is inflated ADR’s (Average Daily Rates) due to the pandemic’s pent up travel demand. These rates aren’t staying but they did play a big role. This is an issue because based on historical data Hyatt largely bases category changes on ADR’s. With the ADR’s being inflated to unrealistic rates and rates that are going to drop 30-50% (or more, if they haven’t already) that means many of these properties could receive an “upgraded” category assignment, many of them being ones who already received one last year as well.

Another problem or issue I see is many properties were slated to drop down a category in 2020, however due to the pandemic this never happened. Will Hyatt now that we’re semi-out of the pandemic drop these properties down?

As far as I’ve checked none of the MGM properties have ever changed categories despite many of them having an ADR that doesn’t match their category placement. Is it possible some will change this year? I think we can all agree Excalibur isn’t deserving of a Category 3 placement their ADR even factoring weekends and high season is maybe $80, or less.

All good topics to be discussed and definitely feel free to add more topics related to the 2023 Category Changes.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Seriously? You want to start a thread several months before a potential announcement? FWIW 2022's changes were announced in February 2022.

At least call it "total speculation" or something...
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I was wondering if Hyatt started early this year.
Visconti likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Seriously? You want to start a thread several months before a potential announcement? FWIW 2022's changes were announced in February 2022.

At least call it "total speculation" or something...
Originally Posted by Aventine
I was wondering if Hyatt started early this year.
This thread is to discuss the likely and possible category changes especially with the multitude of issues that have piled up. Specifically why it’s titled as a “Discussion Thread” rather than a Master Thread for the 2023 Category Changes…

I definitely feel everything outlined in the opening post merits community discussion.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Room rates are up in the United States. Some hotels might go to a higher award category in 2-6 months.

Unless you have something specific to share, that's about the extent of it...
coleslaw likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:00 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
What an unnecessary thread…
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Room rates are up in the United States. Some hotels might go to a higher award category in 2-6 months.

Unless you have something specific to share, that's about the extent of it...
The rates are artificially up which is massively different from being that ADR regularly. Which means categories could shift massively leading to an even greater devaluation.

And what about the properties slated to move downward in 2020? Are those just forgotten?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I’ve seen many many many more unnecessary threads.

For those not in the US sure it may be unnecessary as those people are largely unaffected by this issues. However, for those in the US or those who travel to the US frequently these are huge issues.

In the last couple years Hyatt created an 8th Category and tacked on Peak pricing jumping the maximum per night from 30k for a base room all the way to 45k. Not only that but they moved the majority of the desirable properties to this category.

The whole concept of the Category 1-7 Certificate was to give you a free night at basically any property. Just one night, it’s not a lot but it’s a reward for being a Globalist and earning 60 nights. With the change to allowing an 8th Category and artificial pricing even more properties shift to being unavailable and many more shift to being unavailable for a Category 1-4 Certificate.

Basing the decision on artificial ADR rather than historical is problematic, largely for WOH members and definitely merits discussion.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Basing the decision on artificial ADR rather than historical is problematic, largely for WOH members and definitely merits discussion.
What are you referring to by “artificial”?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:26 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Matt4200
I’ve seen many many many more unnecessary threads.

For those not in the US sure it may be unnecessary as those people are largely unaffected by this issues. However, for those in the US or those who travel to the US frequently these are huge issues.
Once again you assume the US is the entire World and once again you make a sweeping assumption that is wrong. You also assumed that Hyatt hotel service in the US should be the best because that’s where it’s based when the opposite is true.

Revenge travel, post pandemic pricing and inflation have all lead to higher average room rates.

You won’t find a lead in room in a five star for less than 500GBP in London, 500 Euros in Paris or 500 AUD in Sydney.

Prices everywhere are high and guests are paying them.

Regardless, discussing category changes months before they’re announced is pointless.

It seems you are intent on increasing your post count for absolutely no reason.

Last edited by m0hamed; Sep 27, 2022 at 7:12 am
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I predict all hotels will drop one category because….

I want them to.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
LOL...I clicked on it assuming Hyatt had announced early, and replying to it. So, I suppose it worked. My only interest is hoping that WOH will turn the 60 free night into a Cat 8. To date, I've yet to hear any persuasive argument on why this shouldn't be done, especially if they could just now make turn all the 6s into 7s and rake in more points.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:25 am

If you wanted to narrow the discussion a little, maybe focus on what Cat 4s will move to 5. The increase of a hotel from Cat 4 to 5 is arguably the one which impacts the most people in a general way. Once you get to Cat 6-7 or 7-8 it's just points though there are plenty of Cat7 certs out there as well.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I predict some will go down, relatively more will go up, and some will stay the same
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
LOL...I clicked on it assuming Hyatt had announced early, and replying to it. So, I suppose it worked.
This exact thing right here. I should have seen who posted it and known better. Thought there was an actual announcement I missed and this thread was contributing actual value to the community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.