Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt house (Summerfield) - Herndon, VA (DC area) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum

Easy access to airport. Studio suite was more than sufficient in size for 1 or 2 people - comfy chair, full sofa, bar seating for kitchen and desk work area. 1BR was standard SS; did not see a 2BR. Micro, stove top, full size frig. No oven. Split bath. Coat closet + clothing closet. Flat screen TV (1); could watch from living area or bedroom. 2 bedside tables - nice and so often lacking!

Staff was pleasant (had a rate error, no issues in correcting it). Large breakfast area - which was above average IMO. 2 computers. Only 1 set of elevators, but never had to wait.

Car is preferable, as there are no restaurants in walking distance - but there are quite a few in the area.

Rate was reasonable for weeknight DC, we felt as if we received solid value for rate paid. We would definitely stay here again.

Reveiw edited by OP to correct age statement.

***Please read this thread in its' entirety, as other experiences in this hotel were not equal to ours.***

Last edited by sophiegirl; Oct 12, 2009 at 1:25 am Reason: correction of information
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Flat screen TV (1); could watch from living area or bedroom.
I guess the layouts on these must vary a bit from property to property. I stayed in one last night in CA that had a flat screen in the living room and an older TV atop a dresser in the bedroom.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
I guess the layouts on these must vary a bit from property to property. I stayed in one last night in CA that had a flat screen in the living room and an older TV atop a dresser in the bedroom.
Were you in a 1 BR or a studio suite? The 1BR did have (2) TV's - both flat screen - but located as you described. The studio has only one that can be viewed from both places.

But I do agree with you - these do vary somewhat from location to location - the BOS location in which I stayed last week was built in more of a courtyard style with 3 floors - pool, BBQ area in the center. The Herdon location was a straight "high-rise" with 5 floors. The rooms were also configured differently - but the basic amenities and services were the same in both.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
this is not a new property; its been here for quite a while; I make this comment so that people do not think that they are walking into a brand new property.. they are not
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Were you in a 1 BR or a studio suite? The 1BR did have (2) TV's - both flat screen - but located as you described. The studio has only one that can be viewed from both places.
I was in a 1BR. Thanks for the clarification. I've only stayed in one of these so far.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
At the MIA Airport SS, I was recently placed in a 2BR suite, with a grand total of three flat-panel television sets (the one in the LR was slightly larger than the ones in the BR).
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
this is not a new property; its been here for quite a while; I make this comment so that people do not think that they are walking into a brand new property.. they are not

good to know. I made my comment based on the fact that on hyatt.com the property lists "NOW OPEN"....that, and the overall great condition of the property, certainly gives the impression of a new hotel.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Totally agree. I stayed there last night. apparently it is not a new property. Some splash on the toilet that could not be wiped off. (Looked like wax or something). brown marks on white windows as well.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
This property used to be an AmeriSuites property. I find the front desk to be unknowledgeable about the Hyatt Gold Passport program. They have no idea what the diamond welcome amenity is. The food is fairly decent for the evening receptions (Mon-Thur), but I find the breakfast to be worse than what is offered at RI. In general, Hyatt's limited service properties do not offer as much for breakfast versus the comparable properties at Marriott and Hilton.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by VA1379
This property used to be an AmeriSuites property. I find the front desk to be unknowledgeable about the Hyatt Gold Passport program. They have no idea what the diamond welcome amenity is. The food is fairly decent for the evening receptions (Mon-Thur), but I find the breakfast to be worse than what is offered at RI. In general, Hyatt's limited service properties do not offer as much for breakfast versus the comparable properties at Marriott and Hilton.
I agree. The staff (although very friendly) have no clue about the GP program. I've stayed there over a dozen times at least. I even stayed there when it was an AmeriSuites (and only a 3K point GP award). I really don't like their breakfast (especially because they keep the cereal milk in those thermos pitchers), but their evening socials have a good food selection. I love the rooms, especially the TVs and the apparatus to connect your computer to the TV system. However, they never did anything about the toilet during the rebranding. They sound worse than an airplane toilet when it flushes. This hotel has a lot of German military and UA crew members staying there. In fact, I thought it was a crew hotel. But they are just IAD based (international) crews, who live in other parts of the country, and have a crew rest/domicile set up there.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:38 am
Original Poster

We had 4 rooms - and must have really been lucky as everyone's stay posted correctly in less than 48 hours- but there was only one Diamond among us, so they only had to get that right one out of 4 times!

As it appears that we experienced an anomaly of a stay, I have edited my original post to encourage FT'ers read the entire thread to insure others' comments are taken into account.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:08 pm
Suspended

I was hoping to check-in early on a weekend at this hotel. Does anyone know if this might present a problem?

Thanks,

NJ
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:31 am
Original Poster

The hotel was sold out - or close to it - on the day we checked in. We had 4 rooms, and they allowed us to check into them all before 1PM.

As we had a completely different stay experience than others, YMMV.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:33 am
Suspended

The hotel was sold out - or close to it - on the day we checked in. We had 4 rooms, and they allowed us to check into them all before 1PM.

As we had a completely different stay experience than others, YMMV.
Thanks, SG. Not going to use the room anyway.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:43 am

Recently spent a night at this property.

This was my first stay at a Summerfield Suites and I did not realize the breakfast offering includes hot items (unlike the Hyatt Places I have been to in the past)... a nice surprise. Hot items included sausage, scrambled eggs and French toast.

I'm not going to get into an in-depth discussion of a cookie-cutter suburban budget hotel, but I do have a few quirks to mention:

1) the check-in desk made a small fuss about a 12:30 pm check-in, even though later observation made it was clear the place was virtually empty that night,

2) They make you sign a waiver saying you agree to be charged $250 if you smoke in the room, but the first room they assigned me to REEKED of smoke. The second room they gave me has a cigarette burn on the sofa. No wonder the room was $59 - they must charge a lot of cleaning fees!

3) The hotel is configured in a "U" shape, and the rooms at the top of the "U" get a lousy wi-fi signal, at least on the 4th floor.

4) There is a Target about 3 minutes' drive away from hotel to stock up on supplies if you are doing more than an FFN run; there is a Chipotle, a Potbelly and a Chick-fil-a across from that, and Reston Town Center (a mixed use retail/office/residential complex, including a Hyatt) a little further down the street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.