Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by dartagnan
Ran into this today. First stay at PH Tokyo, and not impressed. Went for the 9 am shuttle at 8:40, and was told there was only one spot left. It was a downpour, so they offered to let us take the 9:20 shuttle with room, or to give us another umbrella.

Completely unacceptable for a hotel of this caliber, especially at 60k++ JPY per night rates we are paying. The shuttle slightly ameliorates the huge walk to the train, but if it's not available, what's the point? I knew I should have switched to Peninsula, MO, or Shangri-La, all of which were around the same price.
Agree that it is completely unacceptable to ask guests to reserve. It should be first come first served and the frequency of shuttle service should be increased if there are too many people waiting.

This was never previously a problem for over a decade, so I do not know how this problem has been created.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dartagnan
Ran into this today. First stay at PH Tokyo, and not impressed. Went for the 9 am shuttle at 8:40, and was told there was only one spot left. It was a downpour, so they offered to let us take the 9:20 shuttle with room, or to give us another umbrella.

Completely unacceptable for a hotel of this caliber, especially at 60k++ JPY per night rates we are paying. The shuttle slightly ameliorates the huge walk to the train, but if it's not available, what's the point? I knew I should have switched to Peninsula, MO, or Shangri-La, all of which were around the same price.
One time they gave us a ride to the AREX in their hotel car because the shuttle was either too full or too slow coming back. Obviously, they need to have more shuttles in place. We did reserve a spot and still couldn't get on.

One of the reasons I favor SL for their location among other things.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:48 pm

Just completed a four day stay. We used a DSU and the suite was spectacular - my husband loved how almost every detail was covered down to shoe trees, and we were lucky enough to have one clear day when we enjoyed a view of Mount Fuji. The food and service were both excellent, which was what I expected, and I really loved using the pool and the spa. My husband did have a problem with the shuttle - they said they were leaving in a minute, which turned out to not be true and made him late for a meeting. All the perks as a diamond were explained and honored. We enjoyed it overall and would love to return someday.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
I am not sure if people are aware but there is this device that was just created called a Taxi. Now it does cost some money but at the average cost of 400-500 a night for a room and for the suites even more one would think people could afford the aforementioned new creation.

Just go to the NY Bar for a drink or two and you have surpassed the cost of this Taxi

Traveling on business= Take a taxi and let your company pay
Time Crunch= Take a Taxi
Need to catch a train= Take a Taxi
Going to sight see= Wait for a Shuttle

Seems pretty trivial to continue to complain about something that is well known from the start. Last trip to Tokyo, the wife and I walked in the rain to the Hotel to have lunch at the NY Bar and walked back to the train station.

Now I am sure many of you like me are budget conscious but my time is invaluable and waiting for someone that may or may not be on time and may or many not have a seat for me I have started using UBER and taxi's.

You may agree- may disagree but don't make this the determining factor for staying here. The Grand Hyatt is at a great location and no need for shuttles, but you may have to take a couple trains.

Last edited by Droch; Jul 1, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:02 pm

The issue is more that regular guests were used to more flexibility with the shuttle in the past, and that recently an annoying "reservations" system has been implemented. While many Japanese do not mind adhering to such rules, having to make an advance reservation for the shuttle is not acceptable by international luxury hotel standards.

To put it in perspective, The Peninsula and the Ritz-Carlton have house car service, including Mini Cooper and Rolls Royce vehicles used to drive regular and club/suite level guests around.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Droch
I am not sure if people are aware but there is this device that was just created called a Taxi. Now it does cost some money but at the average cost of 400-500 a night for a room and for the suites even more one would think people could afford the aforementioned new creation.

Just go to the NY Bar for a drink or two and you have surpassed the cost of this Taxi

Traveling on business= Take a taxi and let your company pay
Time Crunch= Take a Taxi
Need to catch a train= Take a Taxi
Going to sight see= Wait for a Shuttle

Seems pretty trivial to continue to complain about something that is well known from the start. Last trip to Tokyo, the wife and I walked in the rain to the Hotel to have lunch at the NY Bar and walked back to the train station.

Now I am sure many of you like me are budget conscious but my time is invaluable and waiting for someone that may or may not be on time and may or many not have a seat for me I have started using UBER and taxi's.

You may agree- may disagree but don't make this the determining factor for staying here. The Grand Hyatt is at a great location and no need for shuttles, but you may have to take a couple trains.

I respectfully disagree. I recently stayed at PH, HR and Andaz in Tokyo. I found the inconvenience of the PH to the subway to be significant. PH is in need of a renovation. It is likely losing Hyatt guests to Andaz and GH. The one saving grace of PH is the service. I consider the shuttle an advertised/promised service. It would be much easier and cheaper for them to straighten out the shuttle situation than to do the renovation, etc
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The issue is more that regular guests were used to more flexibility with the shuttle in the past, and that recently an annoying "reservations" system has been implemented. While many Japanese do not mind adhering to such rules, having to make an advance reservation for the shuttle is not acceptable by international luxury hotel standards.

To put it in perspective, The Peninsula and the Ritz-Carlton have house car service, including Mini Cooper and Rolls Royce vehicles used to drive regular and club/suite level guests around.
I could see the Japanese wanting a reservation system as they like to be on time and its amazing how when they tell you they will meet you at 630 they are there.

So on to your statement about The Peninsula- Lets get the facts on this straight. They have 2 mini coopers and if your in a suite and book first come first serve the car is free. But they don't have DSU's so someone is paying big bucks for this service. Its all about the money.
http://tokyo.peninsula.com/en/specia...Transportation

Also its right at a Train Station. Once again, if you do your homework you know the Park Hyatt is a bit away from the Train and really is in nowhere land. That being said you also know you need to make a reservation and this should ensure that you get a seat.

And back to my final thing, when in doubt Taxi out.

Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho
I respectfully disagree. I recently stayed at PH, HR and Andaz in Tokyo. I found the inconvenience of the PH to the subway to be significant. PH is in need of a renovation. It is likely losing Hyatt guests to Andaz and GH. The one saving grace of PH is the service. I consider the shuttle an advertised/promised service. It would be much easier and cheaper for them to straighten out the shuttle situation than to do the renovation, etc
I went to Tokyo for the first time back in February and chose the Grand Hyatt based on a good friends recommendation about location. Once again to me I don't want to be on a schedule and waiting for a shuttle that may or may not have a seat. The Park Hyatt is really about the Views and Service. GH is Location and I have yet to go to the Andaz but I really don't think most people that are willing to pay the money outright for a suite are really worried about paying a few buck for a taxi or wanting to wait for a shuttle.

I guess coming from NYC area and going to Japan its nice to have rather inexpensive options to get to and from the Airport. Try taking the Train to JFK or getting a bus like the Airport Limo to go directly to a hotel.

To say fix the shuttle service over renovating is just silly. And when you look at the money being spent at the Restaurants around the hotel I don't think most people really care about a shuttle running or not, but renovations are nice. The Grand Hyatt Hong Kong is doing this.

Its funny to read the Tripadvisor reviews and similar comments keep coming up. Location has always been the issue and never will change but it has been in the top 5 hotels for a very long time. I personally think it is really out of the way and the GH was in an amazing location. I will give you my take in 2 months time.

Last edited by Droch; Jul 1, 2015 at 11:04 pm
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Droch
I could see the Japanese wanting a reservation system as they like to be on time and its amazing how when they tell you they will meet you at 630 they are there.

So on to your statement about The Peninsula- Lets get the facts on this straight. They have 2 mini coopers and if your in a suite and book first come first serve the car is free. But they don't have DSU's so someone is paying big bucks for this service. Its all about the money.
http://tokyo.peninsula.com/en/specia...Transportation

Also its right at a Train Station. Once again, if you do your homework you know the Park Hyatt is a bit away from the Train and really is in nowhere land. That being said you also know you need to make a reservation and this should ensure that you get a seat.

And back to my final thing, when in doubt Taxi out.

I didn't say anything about DSUs or rates.

I also do not need to 'do my homework' as I was a local for very many years and have stayed at all of these places quite a few times.

My point, which I still maintain, is that making a "reservation" for something like a shuttle van is not befitting of a high-end hotel and is an inconvenience.

I agree with your point about just taking a cab as an alternative.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I didn't say anything about DSUs or rates.

I also do not need to 'do my homework' as I was a local for very many years and have stayed at all of these places quite a few times.

My point, which I still maintain, is that making a "reservation" for something like a shuttle van is not befitting of a high-end hotel and is an inconvenience.

I agree with your point about just taking a cab as an alternative.
I think you do have to look at the cost factors on all this. If I am spending 300 a night and staying in a suite or paying 1000 a night and staying in the same suite you don't want the service to be different at the same time from a business perspective you do need to make sure your keeping the higher paying client happy. Something like the Hyatt Kyoto would be good where they pay for the taxi from the train station for the first trip.

You never gonna get away from this location being isolated. Service is key to keeping people happy and most hyatts do not have any type of car service so expecting something that is provided for free, well you get what you paid for which is nothing.

On a side note I did find the airport limo -bus to be very easy and a great way to get to and from the airport. I guess it really matters the time of day though because traffic in the city can be bad.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
None of the other Park Hyatts I have stayed at ( Sydney, Melbourne, Paris) have had shuttles, nor the RCs (Singapore, Osaka), and we did not feel inconvenienced.

Are there that many hotels at this level that offer private car transfer for guests staying in standard rooms? (which by the way we are discussing, not high-flyers; when spending more than US$1000/night/room, I guess the hotel could provide a short drive or two.)

And does the taxi from the PHT to Shinjuku exceed flagfall? What's that in Tokyo these days? ¥700 or so? It still is max ¥680/2 km in Osaka.

I'm sure there might be many reasons for selecting the Andaz or GH or some other hotel over the PHT, but I would hope that a taxi expense of ¥700 once or twice a day would not be the determining factor.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I'm sure there might be many reasons for selecting the Andaz or GH or some other hotel over the PHT, but I would hope that a taxi expense of ¥700 once or twice a day would not be the determining factor.
And if it is, we can safely assume it's a customer outside of the Park Hyatt's target audience.

Not that they don't care about all their guests, but there are certainly target customers they care more about.

What I find interesting is given the low cost of a taxi fare to the train station shuttle stop, why hasn't the hotel set up a voucher with the taxi drivers so that they can just say, "If you are guest of the hotel and the shuttle is full, we will put you in a taxi at our expense." This problem would disappear. It seems to me the kind of solution a hotel of this level should jump at, just to make the noise go away -- even if the noise is coming from non-target customers.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
...or get rid of the service altogether. It's better than an inability to completely deliver on an advertise benefit.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thucanhho
...or get rid of the service altogether. It's better than an inability to completely deliver on an advertise benefit.
Agreed or they could take a page out from Shilla hotel, Seoul and use a real bus instead of their Nissan van.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Agreed or they could take a page out from Shilla hotel, Seoul and use a real bus instead of their Nissan van.
Hyatt Regency Tokyo down the street does just that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.