Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt house (Sierra) San Jose Silicon Valley REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Completed a one night stay this weekend. The lobby is a nice size and looks very clean and modern. The business center is pretty large with a handful of Dell machines. The bar is called H Bar and is located directly across from the elevators. There is also a pool table with a small lounge area, both inside and outside. The gym is pretty small, nothing out of the ordinary for a HP/SS.

Check-in was easy. Diamond status was recognized and I was promptly handed a card with the $5 Diamond amenity credit. I asked for the points instead and the front desk agent was nice enough to let me keep the $5 credit as well. I was checked into the room type I had booked (standard King) and was given a parking pass to place in my car. I decided to put the pass in my car before heading up to my room and upon my return into the hotel, I was called over to the front desk and asked if I'd like an upgraded room. I was given an upgrade to a studio suite.

The suite was very nice and I was very happy with the upgrade. As soon as I walked in, I felt like I was touring a model home. The hotel just opened in March so the room still had that "new house" smell. The decor is nice with a lot of dark furniture and accents. One of the first things I noticed, that really stood out, was the Xbox 360 with Kinect and a small library of games. The games included Call of Duty Black Ops, Stars Wars: The Force Unleashed II, Halo Reach and a few other Kinect games. All of the games were unopened, except for Star Wars. There was also a Roku box but I didn't figure out how to get that working. When I went downstairs to use my $5 credit, I made sure to ask if using the Xbox was complimentary and it was. I also asked how many rooms have an Xbox and was told that there are about 5-7 rooms.

Breakfast was fine. They had the usual assortment of hot breakfast items alongside the omelette station, like scrambled eggs, home fries (not hashbrowns), bacon and pancakes. The bacon was good as it was crispy and not soggy like some places. There was also cereal, yogurt and some fruit.

The one thing that's a little tough to stomach is the $12 in taxes and fees. One fee was labeled as "CONV CTR FEE" and it was $3.20. I thought it meant "Convenience Center" but when I asked about it, I was told it was a "Convention Center" fee. They do have space for meeting rooms here. On an $80 rate, I ended up paying $94.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay and would definitely return again.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Loved This Hotel

I stayed on a Saturday night only because I needed a stay for a promo. Wow, I was so impressed by Sierra Hotel San Jose! I had booked a king room and upon arrival asked if I could switch to a room with 2 beds. They weren't able to do that, but said they'd upgrade me to a King Suite. Beautiful room with full kitchen (dishwasher, big refrigerator, microwave, kitchen equipment), separate bedroom and living room sofa pulled out into a sleeper.

As mentioned this hotel is only 6 months old and is beautifully decorated. Super comfy bed, large bathroom and shower, wall thermostat (although unit was close to the bed). Nice pool (small) area with bonfire at night. Was told the bar serves food such as pasta and steak. Located in a very recently built area with a Target, Sweet Tomatoes, Panda Express, Chipotle within walking distance (also breaking gound for a Panera). Breakfast was as described above, one of the better freebie breakfasts. Yes, this Sierra Hotel is on a par with the *Wood Element (Denver) I recently stayed in. Hands down a better property than HP.

One caution--I had printed out MapQuest directions for my mother. It lead her to the other (Santa Clara) Sierra Hotel which is 2.5 miles away. Evidently this is a common problem, as they had directions already printed from that location to the San Jose address. I had no trouble finding it from 680/237 N. First Street turnoff.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: *Wood Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Any good codes to use at this hotel?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Is this considered a full service hotel? Do diamonds get 1000 points or 500 for amenities?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Is this considered a full service hotel? Do diamonds get 1000 points or 500 for amenities?
This hotel is on par with SS, so Diamonds receive 500 points for the amenity.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, ANA Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
New Hyatt House in San Jose, CA

Just wanted to give a heads up that the Seirra Hotel in San Jose is now a Hyatt House branded property.

Was poking around to find a cheap night for a mattress run to get Diamond for 2012. Had 49 nights and was going to stay at the Hyatt in Calgary to get Diamond but decided to do a run for fun. Found the Hyatt House for $80/night during midweek.

Hotel is new and extremely well kept. Did not try breakfast or other amenities so I can't speak for them. The lobby is very trendy and so is the room I got. Clean and functional. Did not sleep there.

Glad I did do the run though. The nights posted within 24 hrs and I was a Diamond before Xmas. I requested a suite upgrade at the property in Calgary using the Chase suite awards. Suites were full during the time of checking so I got upgraded to the Presidential suite.. Some luck. C$1500/night room for $80 mattress run.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:17 am

Yes, all the Sierras (and, I believe, all the Summerfield Suites) have "converted" over. I put converted in quotes to remind that there is a process involved to reach what I think will be brand standards. The San Jose and nearby Santa Clara properties have been good in my experience. San Ramon too. Rancho Cordova...well, let's say it has further to go to reach what I would consider brand-standard/equality. We'll see!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
Can you please elaborate on the Rancho Cordova property? I have a few stays booked there in January. I was assuming it would be better or at least the same level as the Hyatt Place Rancho Cordova. I have never stayed at a Sierra but have been at enough Summerfields to know there was a broad range of standards.

Do any of the new Hyatt House locations in Northern California have the Grand Beds yet? If not how do they compare? Thanks in advance - I may be changing a few changes based on response.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:21 pm

mitch1
I've posted a mini review here.

Personally, I prefer the Hyatt Place in Roseville to the Hotel Sierra, and the Hotel Sierra to the Hyatt Place Rancho Cordova.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
With the full service Hyatt Santa Clara (where my company has excellent negotiated rates) nearby, would there be a good reason for me to try out these Hyatt House properties in San Jose and Santa Clara?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by sapguy
With the full service Hyatt Santa Clara (where my company has excellent negotiated rates) nearby, would there be a good reason for me to try out these Hyatt House properties in San Jose and Santa Clara?
I'm presently a guest at the Hyatt Santa Clara. In a word, "no". Unless rates are really wacky, I can't come up with a reason to stay at the Hyatt House. (This is based on a pre-conversion visit.)
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I'm presently a guest at the Hyatt Santa Clara. In a word, "no". Unless rates are really wacky, I can't come up with a reason to stay at the Hyatt House. (This is based on a pre-conversion visit.)
I thought so, and thanks for the confirmation
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sapguy

The Hyatt Santa Clara is attached to the Convention so it does sell out, and even if not fully booked, it can get pricey. Other than this situation, the only reason I would even consider the other properties would be location. If you are doing business at/Oracle, the Hyatt House Santa Clara is very very close. W/that said: the distance between the Hyatt SC and Oracle HQ is not great.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jan 2, 2012 at 6:24 am
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:50 am

Any recent reviews on this property?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Any recent reviews on this property?
This one's nicer (IMHO) than Rivermark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.