Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Agent Who Was Fired - For An Email "headsup" That Gets Posted Here - I

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Hyatt Agent Who Was Fired - For An Email "headsup" That Gets Posted Here - I

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist

Peteropny notes in his closing message of this thread about the potential for new GP changes and category adjustments, that:

"I just got information from 2 different FTers that the PL rep who sent out this email has been terminated - just FYI."

This is a terrible outcome -- and it was completely avoidable. In my opinion, a good amount of the blood is on the hands of some of the members of this forum. I believe that is worthy of some focused discussion -- outside of the thread regarding the changes themselves.

A Private Line Agent gave her customers a heads-up that something was coming. It had not been announced yet. It was a private heads-up, provided by email. Why on earth was it necessary to come here, or to MilePoint, and post that private heads-up?

Reportedly, it cost that agent her job. Granted, she should not have done it, but she did -- in an effort to help the customers she works with. Could the outcome possibly have been worth whatever satisfaction was gained by being one of the first to post the news?

I've been provided with a 'heads up' of what appears to be coming down the line by a few program folks over the years. Lots of people here have. But you certainly don't post about it -- until it becomes public. It's a personal heads-up, so that YOU have the benefit of the advance notice. It's not for the world to see. I truly don't get why that's hard to understand.

Even if it turns out that this agent didn't lose her job for this, the issue is worth some reflection.

I suggest that when someone gives you a 'heads up' -- to be of help to you personally -- about something that has not yet been announced, stop and think about it before running to post it online. If it has not been made public, think long and hard about whether your private communication should be posted on a world-wide Internet board. It's very possible your doing so will cost that person their job.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have to agree with all that is posted above.

It is a shame the PL agent was fired for doing, essentially, her job - keeping her customers happy and in the loop.

I wish Hyatt would change their mind and hire her back.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I agree. I'm a big Hyatt fan and I understand that sometimes it's necessary to let people go, but this is terrible news and (without knowing any of the specifics) wish Hyatt had not terminated someone who appears to have been a dedicated employee. It's one of the most depressing things I've read on FT.

That said, let's not single out the FTer who posted this and instead follow your excellent advice to think carefully about what we post.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
FWIW, I've sent an email to Gold Passport to ask that they reconsider the termination of the Private Line rep (not mine in any case) who sent out the "pre-announcement".
I did the same peteropny. Hopefully, they will reconsider. It would be a shame if she's terminated for this.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:17 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sensei
I agree. I'm a big Hyatt fan and I understand that sometimes it's necessary to let people go, but this is terrible news and (without knowing any of the specifics) wish Hyatt had not terminated someone who appears to have been a dedicated employee. It's one of the most depressing things I've read on FT.

That said, let's not single out the FTer who posted this and instead follow your excellent advice to think carefully about what we post.
Agreed completely - especially the second part - it could have been anyone of us.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Peteropny notes in his closing message of this thread about the potential for new GP changes and category adjustments, that:

"I just got information from 2 different FTers that the PL rep who sent out this email has been terminated - just FYI."

This is a terrible outcome -- and it was completely avoidable. In my opinion, a good amount of the blood is on the hands of some of the members of this forum. I believe that is worthy of some focused discussion -- outside of the thread regarding the changes themselves.

A Private Line Agent gave her customers a heads-up that something was coming. It had not been announced yet. It was a private heads-up, provided by email. Why on earth was it necessary to come here, or to MilePoint, and post that private heads-up?

Reportedly, it cost that agent her job. Granted, she should not have done it, but she did -- in an effort to help the customers she works with. Could the outcome possibly have been worth whatever satisfaction was gained by being one of the first to post the news?

I've been provided with a 'heads up' of what appears to be coming down the line by a few program folks over the years. Lots of people here have. But you certainly don't post about it -- until it becomes public. It's a personal heads-up, so that YOU have the benefit of the advance notice. It's not for the world to see. I truly don't get why that's hard to understand.

Even if it turns out that this agent didn't lose her job for this, the issue is worth some reflection.

I suggest that when someone gives you a 'heads up' -- to be of help to you personally -- about something that has not yet been announced, stop and think about it before running to post it online. If it has not been made public, think long and hard about whether your private communication should be posted on a world-wide Internet board. It's very possible your doing so will cost that person their job.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I have to agree with all that is posted above.

It is a shame the PL agent was fired for doing, essentially, her job - keeping her customers happy and in the loop.

I wish Hyatt would change their mind and hire her back.
^^^ agreed. Perhaps future postings of the subject matter should be prefaced with "rumor", without giving specifics.... Just a thought.

While the agent may have been aware that such communication was forbidden, I feel Hyatt should reconsider the ruling, based upon the fact that the agent seemingly had the client's best interest in mind.

Facts are unknown, but on the surface, this does not look good.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
why not post this in travel buzz as it could be for any hotel program or airline for that matter
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no reason for anyone to assume that an email is private and not supposed to be discussed in public.
I personally would not hesitate posting such info just because i would not expect an email from hotel rep to carry any kind of particularly sensitive confidential info. The have been numerous leaks posted here on FT so it's really nothing unusual.

However as I mentioned in the other thread firing someone for trying to help a customer is utterly stupid. If rules were broken some sort of warning needs to be issued but termination is completely out of proportion and sends a very very wrong message to the rest of the team. Unfortunately it's the fear of consequences that makes many reps completely unhelpful and unwilling to go an extra step to help a customer. If this email was the reason for termination then to your organization, Jeff, you are losing your way.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:38 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
There is definitely among some a race to be the first to post any new information. One almost achieves a cult-like hero status because of it. That coupled with the fact that members don't realize how well read these boards are read by industry executives can lead to unfortunate situations such as this one.

If I worked in the industry I would clam up for fear anything I said would end up on a bulletin board.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:39 pm

as of this writing, its not too hard to figure out who did it as its the closest locked thread to this posting
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile
There is definitely among some a race to be the first to post any new information. One almost achieves a cult-like hero status because of it.

that is the culture of FT (and since IMHO MP is a clone of FT) and I presume MP
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I'm appalled that she was fired for trying to help her "clients" and dismayed that a major employer does not have (or, if they have them, employ) procedures like warnings prior to terminating an employee for something like this.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:52 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
that is the culture of FT (and since IMHO MP is a clone of FT) and I presume MP
Right. And sometimes we need to stop and think if "hero" status is worth someone's trust and, ultimately, as in this case, their job.

There are also other ways. I've shared information an agent has given me before that had yet to be released. S/he never said it was unreleased info, but as I was still very careful to not quote verbatim, to not describe the agent, to not list the time of the communications, to not give any identifying information. I was contacted via PM by a corporate rep and asked for the info and I did not provide it. No agent should have to fear that everything they tell us will end up on a bulletin board with information that identifies them attached.

It's possible to share and still protect those who assist us.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imm2b
I did the same peteropny. Hopefully, they will reconsider. It would be a shame if she's terminated for this.
I PMed Jeff my concerns regarding this.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:57 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I will issue this warning (pre-emptively I hope) - do not harass the FTer about "his" post. As dismayed as I am with the outcome of the Private Line Agent being terminated - and I feel that it was a bit extreme - and perhaps the FTer should have been more careful in posting what "he" did, it could have been any of us doing the posting.

Any harrassment will dealt with harshly - official sanctions will be handed out. I really hope that we won't have to do this.

Thank you very much for your anticipated cooperation.

peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.