Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BRG with Westin?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

BRG with Westin?

I need to stay at the Westin Seattle on 8/31 for one night. My reservation on Kayak was for $213 (I think now it's up to $219). Westin.com wanted $289 for a prepaid rate or $319 for a "flexible" rate. Is this something I could get Westin to match/beat?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Go ahead and put in a BRG Claim and it's either 10% off the lowest rate or 2000 Starpoints if successful.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

I did, though I'm not holding my breath...
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Is your Kayak booking refundable? If not, no reason to do a BRG.

if it is refundable, just call up SPG and ask for a BRG over the phone so that they do it before the price disappears. I've sumitted online before and had the lower price change before they verified. Take screen caps too just in case.

From the SPG BRG T&Cs -
•Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:40 am
Original Poster

So weird.

I e-mailed them to say that I got a rate on kayak for $213, and that their lowest rates is $289 prepaid or $339 flexible. They wrote back to say that the rate is valid for the BRG... and gave me 10% off of the $289. Obviously this is still higher than the $213 I'm paying with kayak. I wrote back and said they took 10% off of the wrong price... no word yet. I'll probably try calling.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:33 am
Original Poster

ARG. I've been going back and forth with these folks for quite a while now. Apparently Kayak's rate -- which was $213 when I submitted the BRG request -- briefly jumped to $289 while they were processing the claim. So they "matched" the $289, which is patently ridiculous because I was already paying only $213 (all prices exclusive of tax).

Well in the meantime kayak is back down to $221, so hopefully they'll match it. With the 10% off, I should get a rate of $198.90. I'm not holding my breath...

FWIW, Hyatt has a much better price match process. It can all be done over the phone (when I called the number posted above the woman said I had to submit the claim online), the woman checked kayak herself directly, saw the lower rate, and matched it. And Hyatt will beat the competing rate by 20%, not just 10%. That process was much less painful than this one... at some point I will just call it quits because it's not worth trying to save fifteen bucks, though at this point it's the principle of the matter...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.