Search

Transportation from HKIA to Dongguan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:42 pm
GB
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Transportation from HKIA to Dongguan

Arriving on an early CX flight into HKIA at approx. 6:00am. Final destination is Dongguan. I typically would take the SkyPier ferry to Humen, however according the schedule, it appears I would have to wait almost 5 hours for the first ferry. Any other recommendations (ferry or overland)?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by GB
Arriving on an early CX flight into HKIA at approx. 6:00am. Final destination is Dongguan. I typically would take the SkyPier ferry to Humen, however according the schedule, it appears I would have to wait almost 5 hours for the first ferry. Any other recommendations (ferry or overland)?
Hopefully someone has a better suggestion than I do but would it be possible for you to get to Hung Hom Station on the A21 bus and then catch a train to Dongguan? The link to the train timetables is here.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:05 pm

There are regular coach service from HKIA to Dongguan. Go to this link for further information.

Depending on your travel budget, there are also private hire car service to take you from HKIA to border towns in China.

Last edited by Clipper801; Aug 18, 2009 at 7:02 am
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United 1mm, AA 1mm
I usually get a car service to drive me over there. Cost is around 600RMB, and IMHO after a long flight worth every penny.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: MPC
take a black alphard 7 seater. Driven by maniacs, but you'll enjoy the luxurious ride. Terminal 1, carpark 1, there's a lounge there.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:51 pm

could some one give me more info on this? I usually take a private van to the mainland from the airport, but it is nowhere as cheap as 600 rmb.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by reggie108
could some one give me more info on this? I usually take a private van to the mainland from the airport, but it is nowhere as cheap as 600 rmb.
Whoever you decide to use, please make specific enquiry that they have a valid Hire Car Permit to carry passengers for compensation/reward.

The old saying of getting what you've paid is so true.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:08 pm

thanks for the advice Clipper,
i usually walk up to one of the kiosks on the arrivals area, i am going to assume they are properly licensed. I have taken this service at least 4 times within 2 years and if i remember correctly it is 1800rmb to Donggaun (Houjie). If there is a cheaper service in terminal 1 carpark 1, id like to know about it.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
1800 rmb seems steep. Even on an expense account that's a lot for the region.

Perhaps combine Ferry & Taxi. Ferry to Shenzhen, taxi to your final destination.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum
As clipper801says you can take a coach to Dong Guang direct from HKIA.
When you exit look for "Mainland Bus" signs. Follow signs and you will find several service counters for different private bus companies.
Just tell them that you want to go to Dong Guang and they will sell you a ticket, tell you which bus to get on and put a sticker on you that says "Dong Guang" in Chinese
The only slight complication in comparison with the car service is that you have to disembark the bus at the customs point, walk through customs and then get back on your bus on the other side
I haven't gone to Dong Guang from HKIA but the fare HKIA to Shenzhen is about HKD150
Car service is easy, fast and expensive, the bus is easy, fast and cheap

nickyboy
Old Dec 15, 2009, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by reggie108
thanks for the advice Clipper,
i usually walk up to one of the kiosks on the arrivals area, i am going to assume they are properly licensed. I have taken this service at least 4 times within 2 years and if i remember correctly it is 1800rmb to Donggaun (Houjie). If there is a cheaper service in terminal 1 carpark 1, id like to know about it.
Those with a kiosk at HKIA should be fine. There are only two limo service providers listed at the HKIA official web site which my earlier post provided the link. There are a lot of dodgy operators advertising transportation services but many are not properly licensed. They are able to charge a cheaper rate because they don't carry the proper insurance, licence, etc. It's like using your private car to do it. "Someone needs a ride to the airport, the taxi costs $50 and you said, I'll take you in my private car for $30." I have used the limo hire with Hong Kong American Express franchise but I am not sure if they provide transborder service. If you use one of those dodgy operators who are not properly insured and licensed, you may not have insurance coverage in an accident. You also cannot be sure of the mechanical condition of the vehicle.

Last edited by Clipper801; Dec 16, 2009 at 6:40 am
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:38 pm

ok thanks for the info,
i am informed about the motor coach(bus) route into DG, but someone here quoted 600 RMB for a van. I was hoping they would elaborate on if this was for a private van, or shared van. the 1800 is expensive and i know there are cheaper options, but the hotel i stay in DG(regal palace) is a little out of the way and i would have to transfer to taxi when i get into DG. Its fine if i have carry on, but a little more difficult with carry on and a set of golf clubs.

I have also taken the private van in from Macau(Wynn, 4S) to DG, price is similar (1800 RMB) but if you have the concierge book/call its 2200 RMB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.