Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
Sad, Hard Rock Cafe is now closing...

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...sear_year=2008

Hard times claim the Hard Rock

Monday, November 24, 2008

The Tsim Sha Tsui outlet of an iconic corporate rock 'n' roll sidekick played its last notes last night.

Fortunately it didn't stop the music for the rest of us.

The Hard Rock Cafe, which opened on November 13, 1994, shut its doors under reported pressure from the economic downturn.

The closure will affect about 60 workers. Hongkongers and tourists now searching for those Hard Rock Cafe Hong Kong T-shirts will now have to venture to Mong Kok. The only pressing question at this point is how much of the restaurant's knock-off memorabilia the government will buy with the Exchange Fund. *Underset by 6 lines.* *Underset by 6 lines.*
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
At least it outlasted Planet Hollywood across Canton Road for many years.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
The Standard is not known for its great reporting. I think the high rents were more to blame than the "economic downturn". The SCMP reports that they are looking at opening in new premises next year.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
No great loss, although what else is a good place for "American" food?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wco81
No great loss, although what else is a good place for "American" food?
I like the Flying Pan for brunch. I didn't try their other options so I don't know if they do a burger and fries decent (or at all, really).
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
HK is hardly short of places for American food. Off the top of my head: Dan Ryan's, Morton's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, KFC, Al's Diner, Ruth's Chris, ...
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a lot of mid-range places, but TGI Friday's at 26 Nathan Road in Tsimshatsui.

Ruby Tuesday has 4 locations - Causeway Bay, Taikoo Shing, Kowloon Bay and Shatin.

And Fatburger (a chain that I only know about after moving to L.A. recently) just opened this month in Wan Chai.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Outback Steakhouse is a good option. An American take on Australian food. There are a few of these around.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thinking back through the years, I can also remember:

- White Castle in Wan Chai in the mid-70's. They actually gave out coupons at the primary school I was attending. My mom took me and my sister there. It was shut down as quickly as it was opened. I had totally forgotten about White Castle until 10+ years later after I moved here to the US.

- The "American Restaurant" in Admiralty when the Queensway Plaza first opened in the early 80's; and later in Causeway Bay. It was either a Denny's clone or was actually Denny's itself with a different name. Even the sign was red on yellow.

- Wendy's and Hardee's in the early- to mid-90's.

- The current Popeye's at the new HKG.

And I believe KFC tried unsuccessfully there in the 1970's, before coming back again in the early-80's, and became very successful.

What's interesting is that while McDonald's keep opening store after store, Burger King still only have a handful, even though they've been there for a long long time.

Who else remember the competition (and all the wasted food) at the single-trip salad bar when Pizza Hut first opened? I was in secondary school (i.e. high school) and getting the salad bar was pure entertainment to see who could build the tallest, biggest and most elaborate salad. Nobody cared to actually eat the food.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Nobody cared to actually eat the food.
Them HK youngsters are some precociously prescient fellers.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:47 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
They will still have a retail store at the Peak.

The closing was due to a lease that expired. Apparently H&M outbid the group that runs Hard Rock Cafe and will be taking over the space.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:56 pm

Programs: MPC
why's it sad???

The food sucks, the staff are suck, the location sucks. All in all a fairly badly done impression of a Hard Rock Cafe. Now gimme the Green Park joint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.