FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Chinese New Year fireworks cancelled (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1893839-chinese-new-year-fireworks-cancelled.html)

Chromie25 Feb 13, 2018 8:59 pm

Chinese New Year fireworks cancelled

Just want to inform visitors whom might be looking forward to this. Fireworks cancelled for Chinese New Year due to bus crash tragedy.

Bus driver charged over fatal crash as Hong Kong cancels Lunar New Year fireworks South China Morning Post

tentseller Feb 14, 2018 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Chromie25 (Post 29413959)
Just want to inform visitors whom might be looking forward to this. Fireworks cancelled for Chinese New Year due to bus crash tragedy.

Bus driver charged over fatal crash as Hong Kong cancels Lunar New Year fireworks South China Morning Post

Not only a sad tragedy but the date Lunar calendar day two happens to be day 7 after the accident and the death. There is special mourning ritual on day 7 after the death.

Annalisa12 Feb 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 29414651)
Not only a sad tragedy but the date Lunar calendar day two happens to be day 7 after the accident and the death. There is special mourning ritual on day 7 after the death.

Thanks for answering. I was wondering what the significance was of cancelling the fireworks and you explained it.

Sad.

tentseller Feb 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 29418506)
Thanks for answering. I was wondering what the significance was of cancelling the fireworks and you explained it.

Sad.

That mourning day was part of CE Carrie Lam's official announcement of the cancellation.

The sad part is the bus operator KMB's driver policy.
They use part time drivers for these special event shuttle, post horse race. The training is not the same as full time drivers. KMB has no record of what the driver was doing (driving, working) tbefore their part time shift (to and from the race course).

I have driven that stretch of road many time and is familiar with it. The legal speed limit was recently lowered to 70kmh from 80 and IMHO that is still too high for a fully loader double decker bus. That downhill curve is a challenge even in a 135i or 75S.

kaka Feb 21, 2018 8:28 pm

techincally speaking that's the 8th day not 7th, but it wouldnt change how sad the incident was....
more to do with KMB not paying enough to get sufficient full time drivers in general, then you get 1 rouge driver with a bunch of losers (lost in horse racing) complaining over everything in life after (apparently) the bus that was supposed to do the first run got in an accident that was eventually cancelled, so the complainers had a LONGGGGG go at the poor sod bus driver. and he went off with the whole bus full of passengers.

talking about pax abusing drivers/pilots (not so much)/flight attendant and demoralizing them and calling them waitress in the air and overpaid button pushers...

tentseller Feb 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 29444488)
techincally speaking that's the 8th day not 7th, but it wouldnt change how sad the incident was....
more to do with KMB not paying enough to get sufficient full time drivers in general, then you get 1 rouge driver with a bunch of losers (lost in horse racing) complaining over everything in life after (apparently) the bus that was supposed to do the first run got in an accident that was eventually cancelled, so the complainers had a LONGGGGG go at the poor sod bus driver. and he went off with the whole bus full of passengers.

talking about pax abusing drivers/pilots (not so much)/flight attendant and demoralizing them and calling them waitress in the air and overpaid button pushers...

Agree with you. Some of these post race losers can be worse for the driver than DYKWIA types on GAs and FAs.;)